oldjohnny

E60 bootlid strut.

Hi.

Can anyone tell me where (apart from BMW)  to get the boot strut for an Oct 2003 E60 530d or the oem number.  All I can find listed are struts for the E61 tailgate?    I'm worried the boot is trying to do an impression of a stunt car by flying off altogether as it opens at about 300mph.

Cheers Dotcom.

I have been on this site but it's the strut that sits inside the right hand spring I need.  Springs seems to be listed everywhere but not the strut.

3 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

Cheers Dotcom.

I have been on this site but it's the strut that sits inside the right hand spring I need.  Springs seems to be listed everywhere but not the strut.

There are two part 6's if you look - one is the spring and one is the spring/strut.  You can't get the strut on it's own it would seem

OOPS!  See that second 6 listed now.  Crazy money of course on this combination for such an old car so am hoping to find somewhere who may do them seperately. 

Just received a call whilst doing this with info of the mortal remains of an identical car in a breakers yard close by so will call in and see if the part is still there and functioning.  Many thanks.

Like to do mine too!

It seems like it could damage the boot skin such is the force of opening. It probably wouldn’t but I don’t risk it and only open by hand.

I doubt a second hand one would be much better given they will be at least 8 years old now and most cars seem being broken are early ones.

Might be worth looking at the original to identify manufacturer markings and see if it’s used by anything else and is availble separately.

Ill update here if I find anything.

You are right to be cautious L1011.

This is what I discovered when checking behind the fuses panel.  Managed to clamp it, and with some of that kwikweld stuff and a small bolt it has stayed put for now.  Under no illusions that it needs welded but not the nicest of places to be doing this, hence my search for the strut to alleviate the damage when I forget to 'hold' the bootlid when opening.  I can test the one in the breakers as it is still on the car.

IMG_0521.JPG

Ideal if you can test it yourself.

I don’t trust the ones on eBay for £50 that come with no guarantee of functionality.

Is it the leak you are concerned over or am I missing something?

No, there is no leak.  The strut is simply Donald Ducked.

The concern was the bodywork panel coming away to the rear of the fitment pin of the spring.  Temporarily repaired and holding.  The spring/strut was disconnected to alleviate the pressure before doing this repair.    But I then had to allow a few days for this fix to harden and set securely, and drew some strange looks when in the supermarket car park as people observed this wee man driving a big shiny BMW 5 series with a sawn off brushshaft holding the boot open.  :oops:

IMG_0521.JPG

2 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

No, there is no leak.  The strut is simply Donald Ducked.

The concern was the bodywork panel coming away to the rear of the fitment pin of the spring.  Temporarily repaired and holding.  The spring/strut was disconnected to alleviate the pressure before doing this repair.    But I then had to allow a few days for this fix to harden and set securely, and drew some strange looks when in the supermarket car park as people observed this wee man driving a big shiny BMW 5 series with a sawn off brushshaft holding the boot open.  :oops:

IMG_0521.JPG

Excellent haha I see this now! Likely this is a weak point on all of them then. Will check mine!

Had a quick look at my boot strut/springs today. As mentioned, its just a spring on the nearside with a lump of foam inside to prevent it 'twanging' I guess.

I noticed that on the nearside there's a slot in the bodywork that allows the tension of the spring to be varied according to which slot you use. Mine was located a couple of notches toward the rear of the car so I moved it to the frontmost location just to see what the effect was. It certainly reduced the violence of the opening. I'm not suggesting this as a permanent fix, but it'll do until I can get a replacement strut.

IMG_20180714_162010.jpg

Hmm.

I think it depends on what the issue is.

In this case you’ve reduced the amount of preload on the spring and thus the tension. The damper won’t need to work as hard to dampen the boot hitting its stop as the boot will lift with less force.

It may however struggle to lift on uneven ground (car facing up hill) or not hold etc.

As you say the solution to controlling the violent swing is to fit a new damper. Shame they are so expensive/ not available outside the dealer network 

Many thanks.

Checked the nearside single spring which was at the last point, so moved it right to the back as you have shown.  This has reduced my opening speed from 300mph to 250 mph.  I have to face it that firstly I have to get the retaining pin panel on the offside welded back in place as even a replacement strut will not function properly until this is done.  I will keep you posted.

13 hours ago, L1011 said:

It may however struggle to lift on uneven ground (car facing up hill) or not hold etc.

True. I haven't tried it on a slope, but I'll give it a go. I get the impression that although the damper is dying and needs replacing, it's definitely still got enough life left in it to provide some damping effect when the spring tension is reduced as described.

Has anyone removed the combined spring and damper to see if there are any clues to the manufacturer? You can be almost certain BMW buy them in.

I'm wary of removing mine as I once replaced the hatchback struts on a Saab 9000. Boy, was that a heavy hatch, and the dampers needed all my weight to compress them enough to fit them!

23 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

True. I haven't tried it on a slope, but I'll give it a go. I get the impression that although the damper is dying and needs replacing, it's definitely still got enough life left in it to provide some damping effect when the spring tension is reduced as described.

Has anyone removed the combined spring and damper to see if there are any clues to the manufacturer? You can be almost certain BMW buy them in.

I'm wary of removing mine as I once replaced the hatchback struts on a Saab 9000. Boy, was that a heavy hatch, and the dampers needed all my weight to compress them enough to fit them!

kinda surprised that you can't get a stabilus branded one, as they make them for the E61 tailgate and floor :(

8 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

Also just came across this company in Derby Seems to be too cheap to be true, but you get a 2 year warranty. The link points to models up to 2007 so may be pre-LCI models. Don't know if there's a difference to LCI.

31 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

Also just came across this company in Derby Seems to be too cheap to be true, but you get a 2 year warranty. The link points to models up to 2007 so may be pre-LCI models. Don't know if there's a difference to LCI.

That's the bonnet not the boot!

Removing the combined spring and damper is a doddle.  Simply remove the retaining clip first and pull back on the spring. The tension on the offside seems to be much less than the nearside single spring assembly, or does that point to a weak spring on my old E60?

Saab 9000? Hope it was an Aero?

I did mine on a 900 T16Svwhichbhad a whale tail.

beey heavy with all that glass and thick steel!

miss those cars

They are very expensive OE (£150), used ones are going for £50ish plus postage. Chinese copies £25.

That OE one for £81 delivered seems very reasonable.

I tried SGS engineering here in the UK and they told me they wouldn’t entertain making one or trying to source similar parts as said dealer only. They make these things for a living. He then said try a breakers yard.

Depends how deep your pockets are I guess. I’m living with mine for now. It’s not too bad just not perfect and will obviously deteriorate. I’ve got winter wheels to buy first 

6 minutes ago, jake13 said:

So a spring with a force of 760 Newtons is required.

It’s the dampers that are failing not the springs