L1011

Option 761- SPG

Can anyone offer advice on option 761- sun protection glass.

I have also posted regards sun shades however I wouldn’t like to know what if any protection 761 SPG offers?

I have searched this and other forums suggest it is just a cosmetic option. I understand current SPG comes under a different number and is darker.

Any knowledge would be appreciated!

Mine has this

S761A INDIVIDUAL SONNENSCHUTZVERGLASUNG Individual sunshade glazing

Honestly even though it is on my car I don't know what it is or what protection it offers. I guess I'd have to put my car side by side with another one that does not have it, to see any difference.

Of course I could only check the fronts because a previous owner put aftermarket tints on the rear anyway.

Edited by Tuvoc

Has what 761 actually is changed over the years though ?

But very interesting - so only the rears. Given that the rears on mine are covered by an aftermarket limo tint, it is no wonder I can't see what it is !!

Yes it’s definitely only the rear of the car. The difference is clear on my car, particularly so on some dark  days but on a bright day the fronts blend to the rear.

Aside from tint though, what I’m really wanting to know is does it actually protect? Glass tends to cut out near 100% of UVA anyway but does little for UVB. Does SPG deal with UVB?

The colour is very similar to my raybans which have the classic G-15 lens. A sort of dark green/black. 

It’s for the protection of my children that I’m interested especially as one is a new born.

11 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Has what 761 actually is changed over the years though ?

But very interesting - so only the rears. Given that the rears on mine are covered by an aftermarket limo tint, it is no wonder I can't see what it is !!

Here is mine, option 761 only.

Poor quality picture and a bright day but you get the idea. They look a lot darker in the winter time.

I have a reflective foil on the dash in these photos so I expect some light will be voicing into the car as a result too.

A3CFF76E-C668-4953-9173-E2C214040A1A.jpeg

2A5ADC6A-5DAB-46BE-BDD0-E5FC5ADD5B9A.jpeg

BD32094C-5D2A-44ED-870E-245A156DEA4A.jpeg

I have a reflective foil front windscreen barrier that I use all the time during the summer.  Had mine tinted today using 3M film with 18% visibility. Mine now looks like this...

20180706_143453.jpg

20180706_143500.jpg

20180706_143509.jpg

20180706_143515.jpg

You can see how much darker 761 is here with low light levels outside.

image.jpg

Thanks for the 761 pics !  Now I know what mine should look like underneath the aftermarket 5% Limo tints...

19 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Thanks for the 761 pics !  Now I know what mine should look like underneath the aftermarket 5% Limo tints...

5%? As in only 5% comes through? That’s basically black then :-)

For reference I was sold 'dark' 15% VLT LLumar tint/film (E61 7x peices £200) on carbon black, recommended for lighter coloured interiors, see pics here and some here.

Can still see out the back window at night and drive safely in the winter.

The next darker tint was Limo, which looked very dark with a more reflective gloss shine.

VLT is the percentage of visible light the tint allows to pass from the exterior of the window to the interior.

Yeah, I hate the limo tint. At night time I can see virtually nothing. Reversing at night-time is a.... nightmare. 15% is much more sensible. The previous owner had an aftermarket DVD system installed with screens in the back of the headrest. I guess they fitted the limo tints so that the screens were watchable even on the brightest of days.

2 hours ago, L1011 said:

Thanks Darkhorse.

lovely E61 with a great interior mix!

Same interior as mine :)

1 hour ago, Dotcom1970 said:

Same interior as mine :)

Love it!

Reminds me if my old rs6

BMW UK response:

“Thanks for your email about sun protection glass on your BMW.

I’ve looked into your query and the recommendation given to me is for you to phone your preferred BMW Centrehere where a sales advisor will give you the details available on the sun protection glass. 

I’m sorry I can’t be of more help at this time but if you have any other queries please get back in touch.

Kind regards

D

BMW Group UK

Customer Support Executive

BMW Customer Support

Summit ONE

Summit Avenue, Farnborough

Hampshire, GU14 0FB