asharb123

Buying a F10 Petrol

Hi,

I currently have a 04 54 plate 530i, which I love, but I can't stop looking at the F10. I do feel like I'm being unfaithful to my 530i by looking at younger newer 5 series BMW's. 

What should I look for when buying an F10.

1) What are the common problems, how do I find them or know they are there?.

2) How reliable are they?

3) I'm a petrol driver, which engine should I look at? My budget only allows me an early F10 a 2010 / 2011 model year. 

4) Is there a big difference between the 523i and 528i?

Thanks

Good choice!!

1.. corrosion on doors (yep, really!).

2. N53 has well documented past issues with HPFP, electric coolant pump, and injectors failing. That said they are a lot better these days withmost parts revise. Also the n55 has the same HPFP and coolant pump plus a turbo. The price of the injectors is the same as a turbo (ish) I'd imagine. My n53 has been fine bar a new set of injectors at 40k covered by warranty.

3. 2010-11 you are looking at n55 (535i) or n53 (523i, 528i, 530i).

4. I'd imagine there is more of a difference between 523i and 528i than 528i and 530i.  I have the latter and provided it's driven properly it can be pretty rapid. Being non turbo it is not an instant shove but makes you work for it, which personally I prefer. 

Good luck in your search.  I am on and off selling mine but can't decide what to replace it. I am mostly happy with it. Certainly happy with the engine - n53 is pretty light and makes for a chuck able f10.

Awfully expensive problems with the N53 engine are well documented. Shame on BMW. Depending on how long you keep the car, you might be lucky and have no issues, or it could be ruinously expensive. I don't think I'd buy one.

I think (hope!) the fuel pump is different on the N55 from the N53.

Petrol F10s are as common as rocking horse poo.

Go for a 6 pot petrol it's BMWs trade mark.

Don't buy the V8 one either. Loads of issues with the engine due to bits of the engine being made out of recycled Kleenex.

N53 and n55 don't share exactly the same pump but it's the same type. The n55 is the same pump as the n54. 

Risk of failure is similar.

The coolant and HPFP are common components across most of the engines these days.

The only thing unique to the n53 is Nox and crappy piezo injectors. The rest is broadly similar (sans turbo) than n55 and probably n20 in terms of failure and cost.

Not defending the n53 per se it's far from perfect and well able to throw an expensive wobbly. You could say that for any bmw petrol engine since about 2007.

4 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

N53 and n55 don't share exactly the same pump but it's the same type. The n55 is the same pump as the n54. 

Risk of failure is similar.

The coolant and HPFP are common components across most of the engines these days.

The only thing unique to the n53 is Nox and crappy piezo injectors. The rest is broadly similar (sans turbo) than n55 and probably n20 in terms of failure and cost.

Not defending the n53 per se it's far from perfect and well able to throw an expensive wobbly. You could say that for any bmw petrol engine since about 2007.

N55 direct injection? so no short trips to the shop, cheap fuel and periodic walnut blasting in order.

Edited by jake13

I had an N53 528i which was a complete headache that went back to the dealer 6 times in the five months I owned it. Got rid of it after that and went with a 530d which has been flawless so far (8 months). Caveat emptor.

Your 04 530i might still be an M54 which is probably the best all-round petrol engine BMW made in the last 30 years, I don't think any of the F10 petrol engines come near it in terms of smoothness, sound and longevity.

3 hours ago, Carlton said:

Your 04 530i might still be an M54 which is probably the best all-round petrol engine BMW made in the last 30 years, I don't think any of the F10 petrol engines come near it in terms of smoothness, sound and longevity.

My money for the best in last 30 years goes to the early M50 non-vanos engine. Everything after that introduced complications and things to go wrong - Vanos, DISA valve etc and then valvetronic, direct injection, HPFP etc etc

M50 non-vanos was almost bulletproof. Classic engine that needed to be revved to get the best from it, and awesome sound. M50 single Vanos OK as well, I guess. The single Vanos wasn't that expensive to fix.

25 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

My money for the best in last 30 years goes to the early M50 non-vanos engine. Everything after that introduced complications and things to go wrong - Vanos, DISA valve etc and then valvetronic, direct injection, HPFP etc etc

M50 non-vanos was almost bulletproof. Classic engine that needed to be revved to get the best from it, and awesome sound. M50 single Vanos OK as well, I guess. The single Vanos wasn't that expensive to fix.

My dad still has 1990 E34 with M50 in it, I can confirm it is bulletproof and was a good sounding and torquey engine. I still wonder why BMW don't make any re 2.0lyr petrol with 6 cylinders?!

The M50 was available in 2.0l form - but the 2.5 was miles better. A lot more power, and marginally better fuel economy as well. But the 2.0 was the sweetest of the two I think.

8 hours ago, Vlady said:

My dad still has 1990 E34 with M50 in it, I can confirm it is bulletproof and was a good sounding and torquey engine. I still wonder why BMW don't make any re 2.0lyr petrol with 6 cylinders?!

Because a 4 pot 2.0 is cheaper and lighter in a car today and a four pot 2.0 today is more economical and produces more power and torque than a 6 pot of yesteryear.

It's a sad sign of the times where cost and efficiency far far outweigh style, smoothness and refinement.

In my first 5 series since a 1995 E34 many years ago. I've always wanted to get back I to a 5, now having done so I realise how much of was down to the engine. That M50 engine was pure music when revved. Struggling to adjust to the tractor like diesel. Good economy is a worthy aim, but look at what we have lost.