Sign in to follow this  
Blackman

E34 Alpina B10 3.5

Good looking car and it reads like it's had some strong money thrown at it recently.

The purists will be disappointed with the aftermarket suspension & exhaust. Grey leather is no ones first choice and a shame it has no air-con. I'd guess that the mileage will hold it back for a while and you may say a price drop or two if the seller is serious about selling.

C.

Perhaps there isn't a fuss about it because it isn't a B10 3.5?

It's a B3.5, a Frank Sytner special for his customers who couldn't afford a B10 3.5, so no Alpina engine or transmission modifications whatsoever.

Back then, and even now, you can make your own B3.5 because all it is in essence, is all the bits that Alpina will sell you from their E34 accessories catalogue, namely wheels, suspension, steering wheel, gearknob and a spoiler. All Frank did was put a bow on it by cutting up some genuine 'B10 3.5' badges and gluing them together to make a 'B3.5' badge (also offered on an E32 chassis as well) and perhaps liberally throwing some more Alpina stickers around the car.

Sytner specials, those cars that aren't identically built to Buchloe standards, aren't exactly collectible as they are all possibly different (being built to cusomers specs of what they could afford and not what Alpina stated was a model), generally not Alpina powered (E30's are their own can of worms) and it's perhaps cars like these that helped Burkard Bovensiepen decide to take all Alpina car manufacture back to Buchloe with no more concession design and builds ever allowed.

Edit to add;

Reading through the advert the car hasn't even got Alpina suspension (which is still available) so all it is, is wheels, steering wheel, spoiler and gearknob. Absolutely brand new and wrapped in glorious Alpina wrapping paper I suspect those items wouldn't cost much more than £3.5k from Buchloe, with the suspension kit another £1.5k so for £5k you could make any E34 you choose more of an Alpina than this £18,500 imposter...

Edited by sharkfan

sharkfan, thanks for clearing this up.

So essentially, it's just a 3.5 with a few Alpina bits on it....That makes sense then. No wonder there are no engine bay photos, but credit to the seller, it's not advertised as a B10 anyway...

Yep, a 535i plus bolt on parts and a glued together badge.

Back in the early 1990's when you could order either, the B3.5 came in just under £4.5k for them to fit all the bits I mentioned plus the genuine Alpina shocks and springs (which this car has lost) compared to a proper B10 3.5 was around £13k, which of course included the 260bhp Alpina M30 engine and a LSD. Any Alpina interior mods would be more money again but were available to order from Buchloe.

Frank Sytner had made himself whole range of 'Alpina' cars, probably to the increasing consternation of Herr Bovensiepen who owns Alpina; I suspect the cutting and pasting of genuine 'B10 3.5' into 'B3.5' badges was perhaps the last straw after all the E30 variety box cars Frank offered and the E36 B2.5 and even a E31 B5.0 mash up. By contrast Alpina in Buchloe were only producing brand new cars, not some used cars like Sytner, and also had standard model specifications instead of Franks broad brush for all sizes of wallets.

I think the last Sytner conversions were around 1994, certainly the two rhd 'B10 4.0' E34 models were made by Sytner in 1994 and by 1995 I believe all Alpina production was returned to Buchloe exclusively.

This shouldn't detract from what appears to be a very well looked after E34 but IMHO the vendor is stretching the Alpina name and provenance of this particular car to justify quite a high asking price.

What would anyone price an E34 535i at, if it was near identical condition to this car, and also had all the 'B3.5' Alpina bits fitted to it, perhaps including the suspension? £5k? £8k? £10k? Or £18.5k like this car?

The car is based on a 535i SE, so considering the mileage and recent spend on resto i'd say it's a £6k'ish car looking at where the UK market is. Add in the used prices for a front bumper (£500), wheels (£1200), steering wheel (£250), gearknob (£100), decal kit (£500) and you've got £2.5k of extras to make it the car it is. All IMO of course.

It's well advertised on Pistonheads, Car & Classic, Ebay, Facebook etc. so time will tell if there's interest or not.

C.

is this one not based on a 535 sport as opposed to an SE ..reason I say is it's a narrow nose with side skirts , bottom door trims and sport rear bumper ....other B3.5s I have seen have defo been SE's as they never had any of the aforementioned trim....I thought Sytner offered these adding to both models ...I can't see someone ordering an SE to add on skirts and rear bumper etc 

See; this is why forums like this are invaluable!

Someone looking to buy this may do their research; which in turn may pull up this thread, to which that said punter will probably see they're about to have the wool pulled over their eyes! 

11 minutes ago, cableguy said:

Before my original post, I checked the Motor Insurance Database and it's listed as a 535i SE. ;)

C.

I wonder what the original buyers thinking was if he indeed bought an SE then upgraded to sport body/seat  parts THEN upgraded to ALPINA parts .. of course in its life it may well have been upgraded that way which in thinking is probs what happened

I've seen a few SE's over the years with Sports Seats specified from new and the sill trims I suppose are easily fitted for effect. Would be interesting to find out the chassis number for build and original options?

C.