BFleming

F10/F11 - Auto Lights - How do I know if they work?

After a month of F11 ownership (2013/pre LCI) I've come to the realisation that the auto lights may not quite be working as intended. I get the following functions depending on the respective light switch position:

- 0 - everything off

- Parking lights - Angel Eyes front, red rears

- Main lights - usual dipped beam by default

- Auto lights - same as main lights

So I get no indication that the auto lights are working. On my F20 I have DRL's during the day on Auto setting, and dipped beam by default at night.

No error codes logged. 

You probably have Halogens, which factory default to headlights on or not (same as Main lights).

You can, however, code the rings to come on separately.

I guess it may be different on the F series, but on my E60 there's a green telltale on the light switch which illuminates when the lights come on automatically and goes off when they switch off.

With lights on auto On my pre LCi, I think it puts dipped headlights on more or less all the time. 

I use this setting as I have adaptive Xenons.

I drive with my side lights on all the time in an effort to make me more visible as I swear driving a silver BMW makes you invisible when an oncoming car thinks it's ok to be on your side of the road when overtaking a cyclist!

I leave the lights permanently on Auto and the Angel Eyes are on all the time, with the dipped beam turning on only when the light level drops. When this happens, the dash displays a logo showing the lights are on and the Angel Eyes dim (or, they were, but I coded them to be 100% all the time).

11 hours ago, cretop said:

You probably have Halogens, which factory default to headlights on or not (same as Main lights).

You can, however, code the rings to come on separately.

Yes, you're right, I do have halogens. I leave the light switch in auto, have a little telltale parking light symbol on the dash, and the dipped beams are on always. There is no LED telltale on the light switch.

Ideally I would like the angel eyes to be on during the day, and auto lights at night - Is this something I can use my Carly to code, or do I need to drag my ESYS cable out?

Thanks.

Play about with the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) setting in the iDrive, before going down the coding route.

Mine had its DRLs on when I bought it but its different parts of the light that are on with DRL set to on compared to having side lights on.

What I found when I had the E61 was that switch to auto... Dipped beam on.

Removed, cleaned and refitted the rain and light sensor... Dipped beam only came on when I covered the sensor.

With E60/61 apparently it was common for the sensor over time to reduce contact with the gel pad and while autowipers worked fine, auto lights reverted to always on.

Coding of DRLs done with Carly, and I'm happy - I now have angel eyes & rear lights on when the light switch is in the Auto position, and no telltale light in the dash. I'll check for auto light function when it gets dark later.

8 hours ago, BFleming said:

Coding of DRLs done with Carly, and I'm happy - I now have angel eyes & rear lights on when the light switch is in the Auto position, and no telltale light in the dash. I'll check for auto light function when it gets dark later.

I had the same situation with you having dipped beams on with auto switch.

I have tried many times to get carly to code for angel eyes only but it says that it cant do it.

Did you do anything special to get it to work? 

While you can get the rings to stay on by coding, they look different to the xenons as they're less brighter. You can control the brightness through coding as well but still won't be as bright as those with factory xenons.

With standard spec, if you play with DRL settings in iDrive, you will still get main lights on all the time or not. Halogens were a bit meh and there was a timing issue on EU laws on DRLs, which meant BMW did not bother to introduce bright white LED DRLs till LCI.

Also, on a side note, you can generally tell a pre-LCI Xenon from Halogen by looking at the indicators (ones that look like fish scales are Xenons).

9 hours ago, GeeJayJoe said:

I had the same situation with you having dipped beams on with auto switch.

I have tried many times to get carly to code for angel eyes only but it says that it cant do it.

Did you do anything special to get it to work? 

Nothing special, it just worked. I tried the auto lights last night & they worked too.

I know in my old E90 it depended on what version of footwell module you had; I have FRM3 in my current F11, and the car is a Feb 2013 build.