duncan-uk

When did you last change an exhaust?

So just watching an old car sos and they're changing an exhaust. 

Got me thinking though ive changed a couple of cats on an e36 318 and e39 523 I can't recall the last rusty exhaust I changed. 

Probably my astra get and the peco bb2 would last a couple of years. Swapped a back box on a

nova and removed a Saab centre box for sound but I don't  recall having to replace a bmw exhaust for rust. E28 I did because I could. 

I recently had to take my genuine BMW system off my 1982 635CSi due to rust... but I can remember swapping it onto to the car from my soon-to-written-off 635CSi over 20 years ago, and the system was second hand then. I replaced it with a Fritz system; three hours of swearing and grinding to separate the old system from the downpipes to leave the downpipes in good enough condition for the new system, and less than 30 minutes to install the new system.

The Alpinas have stainless systems from new so its unlikely I'll be changing them, but perhaps another Fritz system for the M635CSi in a few years.

2003 on a 1995 ford fiesta, since then never! Dont hear many cars driving past with blown exhausts these days either...maybe the holes are filled with carbon and emissions?

Last weekend on an X reg Corsa C, interestingly, the exhaust on my 540 of the same age is pretty much perfect apart from some surface rust (and a deliberate hole just before the back boxes to let some noise out...).  I had to replace the back box on my 2005 Mondeo last year as it had rotted out. 

Changed an exhaust Cat. backwards on a 2002 1.2 Corsa 3 years ago or more.. Really easy too..

Oh i did change the pipe coming from the turbo that connected to the main system on my BMW and when i say pipe, well a pipe didn't come off for the pipe to go on :ph34r: :D

I bought a 1996 528i se, nine years ago, 50,000 miles later and the exhaust is still going strong, when it does expire I will have no qualms about replacing it with an original OEM exhaust, which I believe are  Ernst Boysen, a high quality German exhaust manufacturer. You get what you pay for, do not confuse Boysen with Bosal. 

2004 on my Senator. Never on a BMW!

Well I had to replace the nuts on the joint between the front pipes and the middle sections on my E60. The nuts ( part #7) rotted away and the joint parted and what a racket.  I was on holiday at the time so limped it 110 miles home below 1500 rpm in an effort to keep the noise down.  Local Indy cleaned up the studs ( part #6 ) and replaced the nuts (parted with £60 and all was well.

Although I think my wife's 15 plate Kuga's back box has a small hole in it as There is soot present on the underside of the box.

BMW and Mercedes tend to be very good quality systems from the factory. Certainly all of the ones I've seen (even the 25 year old G Wagen that came through once) have had very minimal rust,mainly just surface and have all been made from good quality steel. The G class one that came in was so thick we knackered 3 reciprocating saw blades cutting the box out of it for a bit more grumble. 

Quite a few times previously, but not on my first and departed E39. It still had/has the original system despite 19 years and 120k plus miles. And it was still in good nick.

Hope my current E39's system lasts as long.

My 2001 E39 still has the original exhaust 150k miles, as did my previous 1997 E36 sold in 2010 with 135k miles on it.

They do seem to be very durable.

Oem on my 530d 2003 with 190k and the back box with some elbow grease comes up like new especially when you get the rim soot off the tip.

Can’t remember changing one on any car I’ve had as a daily other than fitting a stainless to the E39 - but that was choice, not necessity. 

Changed one one on my Wife’s Ford Focus CC3 though. Made from shite, Ford only thing. Was rusting again within a year.