Sign in to follow this  
AndrewMac85

Shift Button Not working

Hi All,

Since my steering wheel refurb, the down shift button has stopped working in sport mode. I took the airbag off and validated the connections and it looks good. Is there a good way to test these buttons? Should I measure the resistance with a multimeter? Does anyone know if this switches to ground or 12V?

Cheers,

Andy

If you're absolutely sure the button is working electrically then the next thing to check is the connections past the slipring on the steering column.

I had one of the solder joints go on one of the buttons on my E34 Switchtronic wheel. I found a replacement wheel but meanwhile managed to fix the original by making a small cut through the leather on the rear of the wheel to get at the button, extracted the button, re-soldered the contact, stuck it all back in then covered the area with a small black suede patch attached by superglue. 

I would advise disconnecting the battery, remove the steering wheel airbag, remove the steering wheel - unplugging it from the slip-ring, then electrically line check through both buttons to establish if the buttons are ok. If they are ok then the problem lies with the wiring through the slip-ring so check that. If they're not ok then you have to try and get at the affected button...