stu08

What has the previous owner done?

Good evening all, 

I'm rebuilding my headlights as mentioned in a previous thread. 

Double checking all my connectors and bulbs I spotted this 5th connection. 

I turnt the side lights on and this bulb turned on orange. It is not an indicator bulb, dipped beam or main beam bulb. 

See photos attached, it comes on when the side lights are turned on and seems to be spliced into the loom which runs inside the inner wing. I'm planning to remove this, but am wondering how the previous owner has done it? 

_20180701_215201.JPG

_20180701_215251.JPG

Edited by stu08

Wonder if he's done this like they have the light in the States and the indicator (turn signal / blinker in Yank language) is on all the time, until you use the indicators and then it flashes?!

36 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Wonder if he's done this like they have the light in the States and the indicator (turn signal / blinker in Yank language) is on all the time, until you use the indicators and then it flashes?!

It would appear you're correct. I switched on the sidelights, on came the orange lights. Switched on the indicators and the side I indicated flashed with the same orange bulb, whilst it remained switched on solid on the opposite side. 

The actual bulb socket connector isn't even the correct one to fit the rear of the headlight. I'm wondering if the headlights I removed and threw out had the fitment for this socket connector. It's not even part of the headlight loom as it runs separately down the side of the wing. 

What is this US mod then? 

4 minutes ago, stu08 said:

It would appear you're correct. I switched on the sidelights, on came the orange lights. Switched on the indicators and the side I indicated flashed with the same orange bulb, whilst it remained switched on solid on the opposite side. 

The actual bulb socket connector isn't even the correct one to fit the rear of the headlight. I'm wondering if the headlights I removed and threw out had the fitment for this socket connector. It's not even part of the headlight loom as it runs separately down the side of the wing. 

What is this US mod then? 

IIRC the US headlights are like that from factory; it's a mod for us, OEM for them etc

Facelift headlights did/do have different indicator bulb holders; that's one of the wiring mods needed when you fit halo headlights to pre-facelift cars etc

16 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

IIRC the US headlights are like that from factory; it's a mod for us, OEM for them etc

Facelift headlights did/do have different indicator bulb holders; that's one of the wiring mods needed when you fit halo headlights to pre-facelift cars etc

Ah right. The car has another mod to the headlight loom where the previous owner had fitted face-lift style angel eyes to my preface. 

That explains why I was so confused by the bulb socket too. 

Edited by stu08

14 hours ago, lufbramatt said:

Isn't the US running light mod something that can be coded in/out as a setting in the light module?

Yes, it can be coded. This is the way US spec vehicles came from the factory.

15 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Yes, it can be coded. This is the way US spec vehicles came from the factory.

Just for clarification. Is the coding US spec. or is the wiring loom mod. US spec? 

I would like to remove that extra wire which has been spliced in to the loom for the US mod. 

Does anyone have a photo of the same area of the inner front wing so I can compare the looms? 

16 hours ago, stu08 said:

Just for clarification. Is the coding US spec. or is the wiring loom mod. US spec? 

Just a difference in light module coding, sidelight US. Turning indicators are also used as sidelights with lowered voltage (dimmer than when indicating).