goram

F11 Bike Rack Recommendations

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find a thread.

Now the weather has got really hot Mrs Goram has decided that the clan should be out on our bikes. 

So , can anyone recommend a rack for two adult mountain bikes and two kiddies bikes? We aren't a family of Wiggins so I don't need the most expensive but at the same time I don't want to damage the battleship or drop a bike off inadvertently.

Cheers folks.

Edited by goram

Do you already have a tow bar? Those racks look ideal, but for infrequent use and without a tow bar fitted it becomes pretty expensive. I opted for roof bars and cycle carriers. Not sure if you'd get 4 bikes on it though, how big are the kids bikes, could they go in the boot?

1 hour ago, sjj84 said:

Do you already have a tow bar? Those racks look ideal, but for infrequent use and without a tow bar fitted it becomes pretty expensive. I opted for roof bars and cycle carriers. Not sure if you'd get 4 bikes on it though, how big are the kids bikes, could they go in the boot?

No tow bar sadly. My two boys bikes don't fit in the boot as we found out today, plus my black lab sits in there too.

The tow bar and Thule combo Matthew posted looks decent but I was hoping for a cheaper option as we aren't going to be out that often. There's some racks which fit on the back for 3 bikes for about £30 but that seems too cheap to be true / safe?

10 minutes ago, goram said:

No tow bar sadly. My two boys bikes don't fit in the boot as we found out today, plus my black lab sits in there too.

The tow bar and Thule combo Matthew posted looks decent but I was hoping for a cheaper option as we aren't going to be out that often. There's some racks which fit on the back for 3 bikes for about £30 but that seems too cheap to be true / safe?

I don't like those that dangle off the rear of the boot lid and from what I can see there are none specific to the F11, maybe some cheaper option - I've not looked. I think your options are roof mounted bars then with bicycle carriers or the expensive towbar/bike rack route. I went for this option as I didn't fancy picking up 3 or 4 bikes over my head and onto the roof of the car. For me, the towbar and towbar mounted bike rack is the easiest and safest, and it tilts backwards with all bikes mounted so you can still access the boot. 

Been biking for years in a club so have experience of every type of rack. Anything that hangs off the car is more likely to cause minor cosmetic damage to the car over time. They are also less secure and more hassle to put on. A tow bar rack is by far the best option. Then it all depends on how many bikes you intend to carry. If only 1 or 2 a Maypole is ideal. Clicks on and off in seconds, very robust, not expensive and easy to store.

Edited by Dakota

I have a pair of Thule wing bars with new mounts for an F10 along with a single thule bike carrier complete with keys if it's any good to you? Currently gathering dust in the shed....pm if interested