Piper

I want to be different - my current car will be my last post E39 era BMW

On 7/2/2018 at 1:45 PM, inkiboo said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

And buying a Jaguar, owned by Indian company Tata, as some anti EU protest makes no sense.

Built in Birmingham by Englishmen

Just now, Yokozuna said:

Errr I can think of at least 2 things wrong with that sentence.....

;) 

So there isn't a massive car plant in Castle Bromwich then?

Join the dark side with me. Buy an Alfa.  

I agree Mike there's far to much electronic wizardry to go wrong, good when it works and a right pita when it doesn't. Then there's the build "quality" of new stuff...

Almost everything was better made years ago.

See I was thinking this

I really liked the look of that E34 530i that cropped up on eBay and then on here; you could see that the owner had clearly looked after it

But I know I'd miss the more modern stuff and would need to retrofit modern tech into the car to use it (Bluetooth capabilities for phone and music playback etc)

For me, a car like that would be bit of a garage queen and you'd have an normal, more modern car as the daily...

22 hours ago, WickRatson said:

I wouldn't mind the new quadrifoglio! 

22 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

^ second that! :wub:

A really great car

On 7/3/2018 at 9:24 AM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

When I worked at a main dealer selling BMW's you'd drive other stuff and realise how good the cars you're selling actually are. I'm sure Mondeos are very good etc but they drop like a stone in value and they just aren't the same. 

Ok - confession time. after the last time the F10 broke a spring, I sought out a new shape Mondeo with a view to changing. I even went as far as having a drive in one. 

Its a nice car  - and probably on a par or better than my last Volvo V70 in some ways.  But, in the end, I went home in the BMW, with a renewed admiration for it. For me it comes down to tactility. How it feels. How it sounds - and of course, how it looks. 

That said, I was out in the E34 520i today for the first time in a couple of weeks, taking it in for some detailing and paint correction. I really enjoyed driving that. Not fast, but comfy, standard BMW radio sounds fine, life is good. If I had to pick a car for life, it would be one of these, or an E32 Seven. 

The idea of selling the F10 and buying an immaculate hi spec E32 still niggles at me. If only there was an economical V8!!

Edited by Calypso-E34

On 7/2/2018 at 1:54 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Not necessarily 

We took out finance as it was better to do that than drain our savings, 0% vs 1.5% interest, it's better in our pockets than theirs etc

Finance has its place, it just needs to be used sensibly!

Spot on.

A reliable car is usually a new <3y car. Why not spend £200-400 pcm on pcp and change your car every 3 years with service pack included. Especially if 0% apr / ultra low apr. £15000 over 3 years ain’t that bad! 

3 minutes ago, sayanthan said:

A reliable car is usually a new <3y car. Why not spend £200-400 pcm on pcp and change your car every 3 years with service pack included. 

I lease and get a new car every 2 years. Doesn't suit everyone I know, but if you want to drive a new car and can afford the payments then i think it's the way to go. Worry free motoring ,no servicing costs, no MOT's, no repair bills, no tyres etc, why own a depreciating asset. 

14 year old BMW and old tech abound round here.

Because it's mendable. Technology is vastly overrated.

No way am I buying another BMW after this one, especially something post-E60. Either I resurrect my E34 (ha!) or I just buy an old Ford Fusion. If everything goes to plan I'll retire in three years and I won't need a motorway cruiser any more - just a runabout. I could even bin my smartphone then and go back to a basic Nokia.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:24 AM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Exactly. I don't care, which is why, given a new car choice, it would always be a BMW. 4 Series Coupe, 2 Series Coupe, F10 etc.

When I worked at a main dealer selling BMW's you'd drive other stuff and realise how good the cars you're selling actually are. I'm sure Mondeos are very good etc but they drop like a stone in value and they just aren't the same. 

Yes, a Mondeo will depreciate like a rock but these days they are the same, and having driven a new 4 series and mk5 Mondeo back to back dare I say better...

On 7/9/2018 at 12:42 PM, Joss said:

Join the dark side with me. Buy an Alfa.  

Since my missus had a Punto years ago that I still have nightmares over I've had a fear of Italian cars, then a few months ago my sister bought a Guilietta and bloody hell, what a cracking little car, awesome looks, beautiful drive, punchy diesel engine, fantastic chassis and probably the best gear change I've ever experienced. I've been watching Brera prices since....

Edit; Also, in a few months she's put 5k on it and apart from a dodgy brake pipe it's been faultless, so much for Alfa unreliabilty....

Edited by NWJW