Piper

I want to be different - my current car will be my last post E39 era BMW

Was walking the dog around a recent new build housing estate this morning and realised that almost every car on every drive was German. 

People trying to out do each other with who has the shiniest newest bit of metal from BMW, Audi, Merc or VW.

Made me also realise that buying BMW is no longer being different or edgy or cool. I don't include any pre 2003 cars in that category but owning the newer stuff just feels like people do it because it gives them some kind of kudos because they can display a 'look at me, I'm better than you' attitude. For this lot a perfectly capable and very nice (in my opinion) new Mondeo wouldn't even by considered.

So I've never wanted to follow the crowd and I don't feel the attachment to my E61 as I did to my E39/E38/E34s.

My next car was going to be an F01 but now will be buying something I never see in these new build estates,  a British built Jag XJ. This also matches my anti EU stance  :rolleyes:

Edited by Piper

21 minutes ago, Piper said:

Next car will be.............

I would agree with all your comments.  And the forementioned Mondeo and Jag XJ are to me not only similar but very desireable indeed.  However, needs must and my old E60 is the only financially viable big saloon I can get as no-one else seems to be in a great rush to buy them even at silly money.  When it's running well it is excellent, but??????

ford_mondeo_eu_fordmondeo_saloon_08_background_extension_v1_awd_rhd_21x9_2160x925_bb_driving_in_a_curve.jpg.renditions.extra_large.jpeg

images.jpg

Edited by oldjohnny

The F01 is different, I think the 1/3/X1/X3 have become keeping up with the jones' and the 5/6/7/x5/x6 have kept their edge. There's very few F01's on the road (since getting mine, I've only seen 2 others in the wild)

29 minutes ago, sanjx said:

The F01 is different, I think the 1/3/X1/X3 have become keeping up with the jones' and the 5/6/7/x5/x6 have kept their edge. There's very few F01's on the road (since getting mine, I've only seen 2 others in the wild)

True, good point

13 hours ago, Piper said:

My next car was going to be an F01 but now will be buying something I never see in these new build estates,  a British built Jag XJ. This also matches my anti EU stance  :rolleyes:

Top man. I've had my 5.0V8 XJ Portfolio for three years now and it's a better allround and more reliable car than any BMW I've had since and including my e39 M5.

For sale if you fancy it. ;)

C.

Want to be different? Try Lexus GS, very very comfy and different! ;)

On 7/1/2018 at 9:54 AM, Piper said:

Was walking the dog around a recent new build housing estate this morning and realised that almost every car on every drive was German. 

Made me also realise that buying BMW is no longer being different or edgy or cool.

New housing estate? Its all on finance usually, as will the cars be on PCP.... 

BMW for me used to be a byword for a very well put together car that drove far better than most any other car I'd driven. E39 days... 

I was walking the dog with a neighbour who happened to be a divorce solicitor and i was musing how i thought i was doing ok in life but when i go out for a run i see new cars, big tv's and houses better than mine that i can't afford and i wondered how well paid people must be or where i had gone wrong.

As Dave said its all PCP and the like ie a complete facade and said neighbour told me you'd be surprised about how little people actually own which is fine as long as they keep earning but a divorce or redundancy and the wheels just fall off.

Essentially the common theme was interest only mortgages, drawn down equity, HP/PCP/ credit deals/ credit cards - money comes in and its just spent servicing the life style and at the end of the month the balance is back to zero.

Made me feel better about my e39 and 40" TV all bought and paid for. no debt but for mortgage.

Maybe i'm missing out but if i can't work from tomorrow i'm in a position we can juggle somethings and not lose the house.

Never understood this "Keep up with the Jones'" mentality. Sure, most families have a mortgage, bills and a car on some sort of finance or lease but that's the norm with the challenging economy we live in... however the key is common sense! If you can't afford the price or payments then don't buy it.

C.

In agreement with @cableguy - if you haven't got the funds to afford this, every month for the foreseeable future; then why risk finance and losing it all, if in sods law, something goes wrong and you've no pennies to rub together because your life is all PCP and you're living hand to mouth?!

I do see a lot like this and it does make me wonder why they thought it was the right thing to do

- Don't get me wrong, my wife & I have a mortgage, but we overpay by 12% every month and only took a 15 year mortgage out as we we're lucky enough to have quite a large cash deposit

- We also both have our own credit cards; but use them and settle them monthly (bar my personal credit card (I've one for me and one for my business < this ones for fuel only really, or basic business expenses). But as I'm 'employed by my own business and earn basic rate); I use my personal card to keep my credit rating alive, as basic as it is...

- We've just took out a 30month 0% credit card via Halifax so we could do the bedrooms in one go, without draining our savings. But we have the equal cash amount in a savings account, so the credit card will be drip fed by that until we have to pay it off, and the cash is there ready to use!

I'm not generally ok with lots of finance, does make me worry a bit, but I know we've the cash to pay it off, if necessary

However, I've got pals that have BMW M3s or M4s on PCP, mortgaged up to their eyeballs, everything they do goes on a credit card and at the end of the month, they're struggling as they've no spare cash... What about 'just in cases' etc?! :roll: 

21 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

However, I've got pals that have BMW M3s or M4s on PCP, mortgaged up to their eyeballs, everything they do goes on a credit card and at the end of the month, they're struggling as they've no spare cash... What about 'just in cases' etc?! :roll: 

That's my point, trouble is capitalism likes this, you want more, so you earn more or acquire debt and you're on a tread mill.

If your sensible and don't need to work so hard fat cats don't get rich!

You're making generalisations to suit your narrative.

Plenty of people have nice things without being financed to the hilt. Plenty of other people end up upside-down on car finance because they want a shiny new one every year.

41 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

If you work harder you don't need finance.

Not necessarily 

We took out finance as it was better to do that than drain our savings, 0% vs 1.5% interest, it's better in our pockets than theirs etc

Finance has its place, it just needs to be used sensibly!

Edited by d_a_n1979

46 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

You're making generalisations to suit your narrative.

Plenty of people have nice things without being financed to the hilt. Plenty of other people end up upside-down on car finance because they want a shiny new one every year.

Me? I've no axe to grind - just when you look at average earnings i reckon there are a lot of people on the finance treadmill.

Round here is a bubble i know and i've no issue with correct fiance but to live a lifestyle thats on shaky foundations doesn't sit well with me.

In agreement with quite a few valid and good view points being aired here,

live within your means and you won't need finance Dan, I can never get my head around someone taking out a loan plus interest to finance something that is deprciating in value from the minute it is purchased, I also struggle with this ''keeping up with the jones'' mentality, try and work to live, and not the other way around.

As the wise old man said, '' Never get too busy earning a living, that you forget to make a life, one life to live, one chance to live it.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:54 AM, Piper said:

Last of the Volvo V70s with biggest engines in - D5 or T6

Scandi-cool never ages

22 hours ago, dan101smith said:

You all seem to worry a lot about other people and what they think.

Exactly. I don't care, which is why, given a new car choice, it would always be a BMW. 4 Series Coupe, 2 Series Coupe, F10 etc.

When I worked at a main dealer selling BMW's you'd drive other stuff and realise how good the cars you're selling actually are. I'm sure Mondeos are very good etc but they drop like a stone in value and they just aren't the same. 

On 7/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, duncan-uk said:

Made me feel better about my e39 and 40" TV

Woah, you're a bit flash, we have a 3rd hand 32" Panasonic passed through the family.