Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AdamBell

Paint query

Recommended Posts

Gents,

 

i noticed these here marks on my car a few weeks ago. At the time I assumed they were just water marks, however, no amount of washing or polishing is shifting them.

Does anyone have any suggestions what they or how to remove them?

380BE690-9F33-4818-AEE9-10A14936A64B.jpeg

F65F07CA-EF4C-49B7-AC61-91D212FBFAD6.jpeg

D734350B-01E8-479D-B7D0-C5E505A6B0D3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look like high carbon count water stains or at worst, bird poo burn. Have you tried a clay bar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Those look like high carbon count water stains or at worst, bird poo burn. Have you tried a clay bar?

I haven’t no, without meaning to sound silly, where do I get one and how do I use it?

im not exactly a detailed hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

amazon is easiest tbh. I used this, perfectly adequate:

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073QR39PD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zQ-nBbAJBE9P0

 

1) Make sure the areas are clean (wash in normal safe way)

2) mix some water and car shampoo in a spray bottle

3) tear off small part of clay, knead and fold into a small pancake like shape

4) spray water/shampoo mix onto spots to provide lubrication

5) use the clay and rub over spot in sideways motion (not in circles) you will feel and hear paint go from coarse to smooth

 

make sure you have lots of lubrication  under clay. Once it’s gets dirty, knead over and make fresh. Only discard once too dirty to use.

 

Hopefully brings it out. You will be surprised how much gunk comes off of a clean car with a clay bar

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem mate. Is your car med blue or carbon black? The latter is probably the hardest thing to keep in good shape but sooooo nice when clean 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

No problem mate. Is your car med blue or carbon black? The latter is probably the hardest thing to keep in good shape but sooooo nice when clean 

Mine is med blue, in certain lights it looks either blue, black or purple. 

Im really pleased with how the car looks to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a couple of similar spots on my car, didn't realise that a clay bar might shift them, assumed they were there for good. Might have a go a some point, the air is too dusty to bother at the moment. I washed the car last week and it was filthy the next day before I'd even driven it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

I've got a couple of similar spots on my car

Wtf are they doing with their paint process?

Surely this isnt the factory finish....?

Suppose it is in keeping with the corroding door issue on f10s but personally i wouldn't be at all happy with paint like that on a new car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 8:15 AM, AdamBell said:

Mine is med blue, in certain lights it looks either blue, black or purple. 

Im really pleased with how the car looks to be honest.

That would be my colour choice, looks amazing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick update, I’ve finally managed to wash and clay bar the car this morning due to the temperature dropping a bit and the sun hiding away behind the clouds.

All of the marks have now gone thankfully, so just wanted to say thank you for the advice, it worked a treat. I owe you a pint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got Med Blue, early 2017 car. Anyone got an issue with the paint work? Mine has orange peel all over it. Not what I’d expect for a £60k car. Had a really good paint guy cast an eye over it and he thought it was a sh.t job. Next to my daughters 53 plate Micra, her paint looks flawless !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andrew530dmsport said:

I’ve got Med Blue, early 2017 car. Anyone got an issue with the paint work? Mine has orange peel all over it. Not what I’d expect for a £60k car. Had a really good paint guy cast an eye over it and he thought it was a sh.t job. Next to my daughters 53 plate Micra, her paint looks flawless !!

That’s bad news mate, my paint certainly isn’t like peel, although I do find it hard to gt a good polish on the surface and it always ends up a bit “streaky”.

have you had yours into a dealer to see what they make of the paint finish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AdamBell said:

That’s bad news mate, my paint certainly isn’t like peel, although I do find it hard to gt a good polish on the surface and it always ends up a bit “streaky”.

have you had yours into a dealer to see what they make of the paint finish?

Not as of yet. Going to stalk around some corporate car parks and look for a later car to compare. My buddy who knows his onions when it comes to paint was of the opinion the speed and heat level when painted wasn’t correct. He was surprised to see this type of quality from BMW. I’ll let you know what the dealers say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd have to be very unlucky to get a bad finish on a paint job. This is due to the fact that all 5er's are painted by robots and dried at the same rate (this is not a hand built and finished car) 

 

Paint can be corrected easily. Any good detailer will be able to get rid of orange peel however, a multi stage polish is costly. I'd raise this with your dealer, maybe they will go as far as paying for a correction if they agree that the finish is poor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 9:07 AM, sjak92 said:

You'd have to be very unlucky to get a bad finish on a paint job. This is due to the fact that all 5er's are painted by robots and dried at the same rate (this is not a hand built and finished car) 

 

Paint can be corrected easily. Any good detailer will be able to get rid of orange peel however, a multi stage polish is costly. I'd raise this with your dealer, maybe they will go as far as paying for a correction if they agree that the finish is poor. 

Failing that I reckon a full refund is appropriate :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×