sams255

F11 Speaker Upgrade

Looking to get standard crappy speakers replaced with something with a bit more quality. Anyone have any ideas on just a simple plug and play option that just requires a simple swap over and no need for an amp or rewiring. If anyone has done such an upgrade would appreciate some brand names and model numbers.

Gladden 201, Focal IFBMW-S and Rockford-Fosgate are all exact replacements. There are others like Bavsound but you'll be paying import duty for those from the US. 

https://www.focal.com/uk/car-audio-kits-solutions/plugplay/ifbmw-s

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/custom-fit/bmw/rockford-fosgate-t3-bmw2

Edited by Matthew Ashton

9 hours ago, Enzo said:

I believe the Focal units are plug and play and a decent upgrade to the standard units.

Thanks Matt. Could Always count on you with detailed information.

Am I right in thinking the focal kit is just 2 tweeters and 2 front speakers ?  

Edited by sams255

5 hours ago, sams255 said:

Thanks Matt. Could Always count on you with detailed information.

Am I right in thinking the focal kit is just 2 tweeters and 2 front speakers ?  

That's right. I think the roof mounted rear speakers are a slightly different sized mounting and the mount for the tweeter is different. This link to Bavsound shows all 5 speakers https://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One . You wouldn't need the centre channel as that needs DSP at the amp and another channel to drive it. 

Here is another US source for speakers: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers-and-audio-amplifier-bmw/?utm_expid=.P3v5R__uRkqT439RVfRqSQ.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bimmer-tech.net%2Fshop%2Fbmw-5-series-f10-f11-f07%2Fcar-audio-retrofits

Hoping to do the same at some point. Been quoted €400 for new speakers and tweeters but was told while it would be an improvement adding an amp would be night and day. 

7 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

That's right. I think the roof mounted rear speakers are a slightly different sized mounting and the mount for the tweeter is different. This link to Bavsound shows all 5 speakers https://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One . You wouldn't need the centre channel as that needs DSP at the amp and another channel to drive it. 

Here is another US source for speakers: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers-and-audio-amplifier-bmw/?utm_expid=.P3v5R__uRkqT439RVfRqSQ.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bimmer-tech.net%2Fshop%2Fbmw-5-series-f10-f11-f07%2Fcar-audio-retrofits

Bav Sound appear to be quiet good value for money  for $397 (£283) you get front & rear speakers and front & rear tweeters. The major hurdle here is the shipping and import tax.

9 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Matt I Found some Eton speakers and they seem really cheap from Amazon.de compared to Ebay and Uk amazon. The Eton website is really helpful with picking what model number of speakers are required.  My question is matt the centre speaker in my F11 does that even do anything at the moment ?  Would it need to be replaced ?   as you know i had the headunit changed (to NBT) when i purchased the car.

2 hours ago, sams255 said:

Matt I Found some Eton speakers and they seem really cheap from Amazon.de compared to Ebay and Uk amazon. The Eton website is really helpful with picking what model number of speakers are required.  My question is matt the centre speaker in my F11 does that even do anything at the moment ?  Would it need to be replaced ?   as you know i had the headunit changed (to NBT) when i purchased the car.

As there's no amplifier and you just have the base sound system, there is no speaker under the dash grill. You'd need at least a 5 channel amplifier with DSP to be able to drive the 5th speaker. If I were you I'd stick with the 4 speakers and tweeters. 

Those Eton speakers look good. You'll need the B 100 N and B 100 T for the F11. Not a bad price either. I think you may find you need to add an amplifier too. Look for TBob's post here on the forum. He used a specific fit harness making the addition of the amp plug and play. I saw the installation and it all worked very well. 

33 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Those Eton speakers look good. You'll need the B 100 N and B 100 T for the F11. Not a bad price either. I think you may find you need to add an amplifier too. Look for TBob's post here on the forum. He used a specific fit harness making the addition of the amp plug and play. I saw the installation and it all worked very well. 

So will i need an amp if i just stick to the 4 speakers and tweeters ?   Also would having an AMP make a difference to just the 4 speakers and tweeters or only if i needed a 5th channel.

9 hours ago, sams255 said:

So will i need an amp if i just stick to the 4 speakers and tweeters ?   Also would having an AMP make a difference to just the 4 speakers and tweeters or only if i needed a 5th channel.

The amplifier in the headunit is not particularly powerful so while it will drive the new speakers you will find that adding an amplifier to the system the sound quality and output from the speakers will improve dramatically. Forget the Centre speaker as you'll only get the right signal to it if you go original and retrofit the BMW original 676 or 677 speaker/amplifier option. 

I have ordered the Eton Front speakers and tweeters from Amazon Germany at 185 euro (£162) including shipping. Amazon UK are around £240 on prime so definitely try and shop around almost £80 saving. I will try those and then see how they are and then replace the rears.  Thank you all for your help 

Edited by sams255

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The amplifier in the headunit is not particularly powerful so while it will drive the new speakers you will find that adding an amplifier to the system the sound quality and output from the speakers will improve dramatically. Forget the Centre speaker as you'll only get the right signal to it if you go original and retrofit the BMW original 676 or 677 speaker/amplifier option. 

Thanks, matt, sorry to sound a bit dumb. so the NBT unit that i had put in has an amp in it already but its not nearly as powerful enough as an amp would be. I took a look in the boot where the battery area is and i couldn't seem to find a factory amp. I thought if it had a basic amp i could have just done a swap over. There just seems to be other modules there like the fuel pump and voltage module. Unless its stored in another place. i checked the auxiliary battery but there doesn't seem to be room for a factory amp 

15 minutes ago, sams255 said:

Thanks, matt, sorry to sound a bit dumb. so the NBT unit that i had put in has an amp in it already but its not nearly as powerful enough as an amp would be. I took a look in the boot where the battery area is and i couldn't seem to find a factory amp. I thought if it had a basic amp i could have just done a swap over. There just seems to be other modules there like the fuel pump and voltage module. Unless its stored in another place. i checked the auxiliary battery but there doesn't seem to be room for a factory amp 

The amp would be located behind the left hand trim piece in the boot. Not around the battery.

Check your VIN decode to see if you have 676 - HiFi speaker or 677 HK Audio. If you have neither of these there will be no additional amp and the speakers will be powered by the low power amplifier (more like a booster) built into the Headunit. This is the same whether CIC or NBT, both had the built in low power amplifier. 

Here is the amplifier in my car with the 676 factory option:

The amp is the silver unit in the foreground.

The TRSVC unit for the cameras is the unit behind it.

The Combox for those of us with CIC Headunits is the silver unit poking out above the amplifier. (Combox was done away with with the advent of the NBT headunit).

2067043062_F11Amplifier.thumb.jpg.18994c1b430cd0e5934da70d0c92136c.jpg

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Here is the amplifier in my car with the 676 factory option:

The amp is the silver unit in the foreground.

The TRSVC unit for the cameras is the unit behind it.

The Combox for those of us with CIC Headunits is the silver unit poking out above the amplifier. (Combox was done away with with the advent of the NBT headunit).

I dont have any of that so i suppose im just using the Amp in the NBT unit.  I suppose having an amp fitted would be a ball ache with running wires from the head unit to the amp and then to all the speakers. When it comes to wiring amps etc im out of my depth. unless there is an easier plug and play add-on and space behind the nbt unit.

I suppose in your situation Matt and anyone else who has an amp already in existence is that you have all the wiring harness there and its a simple case of swapping a few units compared to my situation where there is nothing there at all.

Looks like its just the cheaper option of plug and play speaker change

There is a plug and play wiring harness available from TEAMSPB.co.uk but you do need to run the wires to the boot where the aftermarket amp (additional cost of course)would reside.

In your case try out those speakers and see if the improvement justifies the cost of the speaker without further amplification others say definitely and I hope this is the same in your case.

Different car but my E91 base stereo was horrible so I bought the BMW Alpine upgrade from Cotswold. I tried changing just the speakers first and having a listen and there was a definite improvement, especially as the car now had some tweeters!

A couple of days later, I took a few hours to install the amp in the boot. The difference was mind blowing, not least because the standard subs under the seat could now produce some proper bass!

I expect the same principle to hold true with the F10/11: Better speakers will help but adding the amp will make a massive difference.

2 hours ago, Retset said:

Different car but my E91 base stereo was horrible so I bought the BMW Alpine upgrade from Cotswold. I tried changing just the speakers first and having a listen and there was a definite improvement, especially as the car now had some tweeters!

A couple of days later, I took a few hours to install the amp in the boot. The difference was mind blowing, not least because the standard subs under the seat could now produce some proper bass!

I expect the same principle to hold true with the F10/11: Better speakers will help but adding the amp will make a massive difference.

any guides on what type of amp i would need and how the wiring should be run. I never really wired amps up before.  I only really would know how to swap something over like speakers or something of that nature. There seem to be so many amps out there it's hard to know which one would be the one that i need.

I have an F10 without mirror mounted tweeters, and I've been following this thread as I would also like to improve the sound from the stereo. Does anyone know the part numbers for the mirror rear covers that have the tweeter mounts moulded in as that looks to be the simplest way of upgrading with the Focal kit?

I take it that these covers would only be available from BMW....

45 minutes ago, Atlastabeema said:

I have an F10 without mirror mounted tweeters, and I've been following this thread as I would also like to improve the sound from the stereo. Does anyone know the part numbers for the mirror rear covers that have the tweeter mounts moulded in as that looks to be the simplest way of upgrading with the Focal kit?

I take it that these covers would only be available from BMW....

Lots of them on eBay. £30 seems the going rate for genuine ones.