sams255

F11 Speaker Upgrade

If you get the chance I'd still add a simple layer of silentcoat to the back of the door cards and pockets!

Great write up, and glad its improved things so much. 

Just installing some standard OE tweeters in the front doors massively improves the sound in the F10/F11 with basic sound system.

Why BMW don’t install tweeters in a premium vehicle is beyond me.

37 minutes ago, dln6376 said:

Why BMW don’t install tweeters in a premium vehicle is beyond me.

When buyers are being seduced in the showroom its one of the little things that they will never notice until they own the car. I doubt the lack of tweeters ever resulted in a lost sale, but certainly resulted in €100,000's saved on the production line.

The badge lets them get away with all sorts of things.

On 6/30/2018 at 6:52 PM, sams255 said:

Bav Sound appear to be quiet good value for money  for $397 (£283) you get front & rear speakers and front & rear tweeters. The major hurdle here is the shipping and import tax.

and no subs. You need the subs also.

Hi Sams255, I see the Eton setup doesn't come with a crossover module, it has the resistors inline with the supplied cables. How are you finding the high notes from the tweeters, do they sound harsh under load? 

I have the MBquarts solution which did come with the cross overs, I selected -6db to reduce the harshness of the tweeters, however I also had to add an L-pad setup on each tweeter to reduce the resistance further. Now the solution sounds great. 

I would love to add an amp to the solution, however it's allot of work with a base HiFI setup. 

I didn't fit any bass blockers, I see the mid range is also quite lively, competing with the MB Quarts subs, any advise on cheaper alternatives to the Eton units? 

3 hours ago, bigshout said:

Hi Sams255, I see the Eton setup doesn't come with a crossover module, it has the resistors inline with the supplied cables. How are you finding the high notes from the tweeters, do they sound harsh under load? 

I have the MBquarts solution which did come with the cross overs, I selected -6db to reduce the harshness of the tweeters, however I also had to add an L-pad setup on each tweeter to reduce the resistance further. Now the solution sounds great. 

I would love to add an amp to the solution, however it's allot of work with a base HiFI setup. 

I didn't fit any bass blockers, I see the mid range is also quite lively, competing with the MB Quarts subs, any advise on cheaper alternatives to the Eton units? 

I thought Eton speakers were really good. My F11 was an excop car which came with no tech. So i didn't have an existing amp i could swap over. I was originally thinking about putting one in but then i would have the ball ache of rewiring etc to the head unit and that is out of my remit (i wouldn't be able to do it) so i just wanted a cheaper option. I found the Eton speakers are really clear and 100 times better than the BMW ones.  Eaton was the cheapest decent option i could find which was a straight swap.   Since I did mine i wanted to change the speakers in my wife's BMW 1 series E87 and i purchased some Alpine speakers from eBay for 40 pounds, i did have to get a lead adapter and the adapter ring to fit it and it sounds good. But if you want decent sound you're going to have to pay for it, unfortunately. The Eton option was the cheapest i could find

Just finished the Eton upgrade. Went ok thanks to Sam's advice and the YouTube research.

A couple of tips. 

Ensure windows are down before you start, they will need to be for the tweeters. 

Have a chair so you can work sitting down. The door card is on your lap so ensure all your tools are with reach.

Have a magnetic tool handy to retrieve any fallen bolts!

Tweeters are awkward, I found fixing the three tabs first, then coming outside the car to ensure the seal sits in the tweeter slot then pushing upward to engage the outside tabs worked best. First tweeter was 10 minutes of fiddling. Second one was 1 minute. For this I rested the door card on the ground while working.

I had one FFS moment. The drivers side handle trim was really tough to remove. Eventually I applied too much force and it came off breaking the bottom tab slot on the door card. Turns out there are tabs top AND bottom on the trim, I thought it was just on top, so in pushing the trim downward I snapped the lower slot on the door. No way to fix that as it is part of a complex moulding. Luckily there are still two other tabs (top and side of trim) and it sits back perfectly, albeit not so tight obviously.

First impressions are much better clarity and sound quality. Look forward to testing it at volume later.

IMG_20180721_084047.jpg

IMG_20180721_082628.jpg

IMG_20180721_073514.jpg

IMG_20180721_073415.jpg

IMG_20180721_072550.jpg

IMG_20180721_072432.jpg

IMG_20180721_072120.jpg

Da

6 hours ago, Dakota said:

Just finished the Eton upgrade. Went ok thanks to Sam's advice and the YouTube research.

A couple of tips. 

Ensure windows are down before you start, they will need to be for the tweeters. 

Have a chair so you can work sitting down. The door card is on your lap so ensure all your tools are with reach.

Have a magnetic tool handy to retrieve any fallen bolts!

Tweeters are awkward, I found fixing the three tabs first, then coming outside the car to ensure the seal sits in the tweeter slot then pushing upward to engage the outside tabs worked best. First tweeter was 10 minutes of fiddling. Second one was 1 minute. For this I rested the door card on the ground while working.imageproxy.php?img=&key=a752e9eef3625401

I had one FFS moment. The drivers side handle trim was really tough to remove. Eventually I applied too much force and it came off breaking the bottom tab slot on the door card. Turns out there are tabs top AND bottom on the trim, I thought it was just on top, so in pushing the trim downward I snapped the lower slot on the door. No way to fix that as it is part of a complex moulding. Luckily there are still two other tabs (top and side of trim) and it sits back perfectly, albeit not so tight obviously.

First impressions are much better clarity and sound quality. Look forward to testing it at volume later.

Dakota, well done for doing it yourself, its shocking to see the size of the BMW speaker magnet compared to the Eton one. I also had issues with the door handle trim, but i watched the Bav sound video a couple of times and slowly did it. I know there isn't a cheaper option but I thought these Eton were the cheapest and best option available. They do really make a difference

4 hours ago, sams255 said:

Da

Dakota, well done for doing it yourself, its shocking to see the size of the BMW speaker magnet compared to the Eton one. I also had issues with the door handle trim, but i watched the Bav sound video a couple of times and slowly did it. I know there isn't a cheaper option but I thought these Eton were the cheapest and best option available. They do really make a difference

Cheers Sam, sound quality is so much better now, very happy with the results. I listen to music a lot when driving so this upgrade was very easy to justify. Also feels good to DIY.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:11 PM, sams255 said:

Since I did mine i wanted to change the speakers in my wife's BMW 1 series E87 and i purchased some Alpine speakers from eBay for 40 pounds, i did have to get a lead adapter and the adapter ring to fit it and it sounds good. 

Have you added a second underseat sub? As a further cost saving measure only the passenger side got one on the e87!