carrman

2018-2 Maps available from Download Manager

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone receive successful OTA updates?  I purchased my car March 2018 and the version is 2017-4, and I've never received any notifications or updates.  I've contacted Connected Drive who suggested updates for my model/year are not available (not sure I believe this), so I'm sitting waiting for any update.  Anyone received updates on a G30/31 from version 2017-4 > 2018-x versions?

I've started the download, but feeling disappointed the service is not working as marketed, or expected as the customer.  Manual updates seems a backwards step, albeit up-to-date.

Kind regards

Thanks Carrman

I think I will wait a week or so to see if the OTA kicks in....

I got my car in Oct, and I've only ever seen the OTA update once.

Ive never seen the OTA update start and I still have 2018-1.

Is there a way to kick start it? What conditions are required for OTS updates to take place?

1 hour ago, AdamBell said:

Ive never seen the OTA update start and I still have 2018-1.

Is there a way to kick start it? What conditions are required for OTS updates to take place?

I’m th same I haven’t ever seen an OTA update so I just do it myself 

25 minutes ago, Hudds.taz said:

I’m th same I haven’t ever seen an OTA update so I just do it myself 

I’ve just started the download process and will install it as soon as I get a chance. That’s not really the point though, the car is supposed to do all of this itself without any intervention from us.

I've had OTA updates before. I read somewhere that OTA is only a partial Map Update. Car will only run it if there is a road change in the area it knows you drive in - hence the learn routes thing in Nav settings. 

If you choose to download this update manually via the update manager, it downloads the whole of Europe and is s 29.8gb file. Make sure you have a suitably large usb handy unlike me.

5 hours ago, sjak92 said:

I've had OTA updates before. I read somewhere that OTA is only a partial Map Update. Car will only run it if there is a road change in the area it knows you drive in - hence the learn routes thing in Nav settings. 

I've heard this too but can't quite understand the logic. Surely you most want to use a sat nav on journeys you've never done before? I'm pretty good at navigating the roads that I already know :D

+1 for doing a manual download. I agree everything *should* just work automatically on a car of this prestige, but the manual download and import procedure is pretty painless. @AdamBell is right in that you'll need at least a 32GB drive - formatted to FAT32. 

Edit - is there a readme file anywhere that explains what roads have been added in a new release? I have a whole stack of new roads near me that don't show up on the 2018-02 update.

Edited by Gr3gg

This thread made me check the map issue on my car (May 2017 reg). It was 2017-2 which it likely came with so I guess OTA hasn't been doing anything. Admittedly it's a low mileage ex-demonstrator so it's maybe not been run often enough to ask for an update? So I downloaded 2018-2 yesterday (about 1.25 hours to download it and 10 minutes to unpack and write to a flash) and installed it on the car today - after a 20 minute drive it was done but I don't know quite how long it took.

thanks for the tip Carrman!