stonesfan

Normal to lose coolant in sustained hot weather?

Had the water level low warning pop up earlier. Mindful that it may have a leak topped it up with 1L or so of water rather than risk wasting coolant. My driving does involve quite a bit of sitting in heavy traffic and given recent weather obviously the engine has been getting rather warm. At times when I step out of the car after a prolonged period in traffic  it does smell a bit 'coolant' if you know what I mean. I do recall topping it up only once before in about November.

Considering I'd owned the car for nearly 3 years without any loss program probably answers the question.

If it is a leak, most likely places please?

Will sensibly keep a litre or so of coolant in boot until resolved.

Edited by stonesfan

Not really, is the answer to your question! 

I’d be inclined to check the filler cap for very small cracks as like you say when sat in traffic temps rise and water/fluid will escape through the tinniest of cracks! 

Also with it losing water over a 6 month period then the leak is so small that it’s almost not even worth finding! 

But id start at the cap! ;) 

I think I've had the same coolant in mine since i changed it in 2012 (yes i know i should change it) I did the stats at the same time and i have never had to top it up

E60 523i 2009

Have purchased some kseal. Will give that a go.

Come to think of it my previous 1999 Honda Accord V6 didn't lose a drop of coolant in my 5 years of ownership. Nor did it lose drop of oil. Outstanding car for the age. I miss aspects of that car. 

13 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Rather than tossing in a chemical to bung up leaks it is best to try and find the leak and fix it, just my opinion.

Absolutely this.  I'd only use K Seal as a last resort for a head gasket before getting rid. 

22 hours ago, Deviant said:

Absolutely this.  I'd only use K Seal as a last resort for a head gasket before getting rid. 

Occasional lumpy start ups coupled with a bit of smoke from the exhaust. Slight coolant loss too. Hmmmm.......maybe just a coincidence.