Yokozuna

You’ve got around £8k to spend on a car what would you buy?

Right, “hypothetically” I’m looking at spending the above amount, but won’t mind spending less ;) 

There’s a few things that the car needs to  meet, these are :-

1. Around 400bhp (500 would be better ;) ) or the potential to be tuned to, within the budget.

2. Not stupid RFL of £500 odd per year

3. Ideally all the depreciation has gone if not all, around 80% of it (coz I’m a fucking minge bag!) 

4. Prefer petrol but won’t say no to the “right” diesel 

5. A V8 but again a turbo’d straight 6 will do (335i ;) ) 

6. Turbo or charged (that’s where the cls 55 AMG comes in ;) ) 

7. A 4 seater but could maybe do a 2 seater (maybe?)

8. Not a scooby as enough people hate me already! :lol:

9. Interesting! 

10. Any body style

Just after idea’s at the moment, like I say the cls55 amg’s are really appealing but I know they might be a bit of a dog at the cash I’m willing to spend? 

I’m still considering a 335i (or d) but wouldn’t pay £8k for one as there’s around 3/4K depreciation left in it at that price I feel? 

I’d love another cayenne turbo but they are scary things to just keep on the rd! And I’ve a feeling most at that budget will be ran on a shoestring and require at least £4K putting things right! 

So come on you knowledgeable lot what would you go for and why? 

E63 650i or an E90 335i in as best nick as you can find. Keep it that way and IMO it'll keep most of its value etc

The 6’er I’ve looked at and I’m not really sold on them if I’m honest! They’ve got to look “right” and most just don’t....

And the E90, well we’ve got the E91 which will be staying with us so dunno? But ideally looking for something else :( but again I’m not dismissing them just maybe something else? 

Had a quick look at the 3000 GTO’s :lol: or the 300 zx but again at that price point they seem to be shitters unless it’s the none turbo version.

Ha ha! A mate of mine has one and his runs over the  400 mark! 

I have considered the RS4 but would prefer a RS6 ;) 

but that’s a nice example 

23 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I'd rather pay too much for a good car in budget than buy the cheapest car at the top end. 

But in doing so you’re leaving yourself open to take the hit of depreciation that “could” be avoided ;) 

But there’s also common sense involved ;) 

there’s a cls55 AMG on eBay right now for £6800! It looks nice from the outside but the interior is that new born baby shitty nappy colour and it’s got a warning light on for the brake sensor, also it’s done over 134k so IF you didn’t mind the god awful interior and then stumping up £1200+ for the potential brake system pump unit, then you could “potentially” get a bargain! 

But then common sense says there’s another one priced at £7995 that’s got full MB history, 93k, no warning lights on and the black interior so you go and look at that first! 

Then there’s another one at £1250 more that’s almost identical so you see what you can chip off the price! 

BTW £8k is kind of what I’m willing to pay but there’s always cash to sort things....

;) 

New Model (x351) Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 in a dark colour with black leather and carbon trim. Job done. ;)

Rare as hens teeth, proven reliable V8 with oodles of power and tons of kit/options in Portfolio spec. British badged brute that the PM and special services use.

C.

Left field, but having driven quite a few, and been a passenger in one where it went round corners quick enough to make me feel sick, they're very good value - Insignia VXR.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806187618704

Big boot, comfy Recaro seats out of the factory, 4 wheel drive, not too horrendous on fuel despite the 2.8 turbo V6 at the front, and if you want bigger power its definitely possible. A stage 1 map takes it up to about 370BHP/550Nm. Not quite the 400 but they're deceptively quick. They do have issues with the Haldex system (the diff plays up) but that aside, it's Vauxhall so parts are cheap and it's not difficult to fix. They sound awesome too, especially with a decat.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Mr potato, the problem with that is it’s a vauxhall.... :lol:

I did have a little look at the monaro, but again it’s a vauxhall and the in side just reminded me of the dog turd corsa van I once drove up and down the country

Ive kind of got my heart set on a cls55 but I’m kind of expecting when crunch time comes the ones available to me at what I’m willing to pay will be dogs, so these ideas are kind of a back up 

Got the estate covered ;) 

but I like your thinking! 

HOWEVER, I’ve always said the ONLY jap car I’d actually buy (because I do want to own one at some point) would be the daddy of them all! The Skyline GTR! R32/33/34 not bothered which! But they need a shit load more than £8k to even entertain the owners in parting with them....

so until I’m blessed with wealth that can hold a candle to you and yours Dan, they are a pipe dream :( 

Yeah; always loved the R34; but for me, old skill is more prevalent and it'd be the R32 for me... They just look awkwardly cool :lol: 

Still think an Evo 9 estate would be a blast!

9 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

£70k?

Fuck that... I'd rather go for an Aston at that price :roll: 

1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

£70k?

Fuck that... I'd rather go for an Aston at that price :roll: 

But that £70k car will be £80k plus in 18 months! 

The Aston will be still an Aston that only old people want to drive....

;) 

As soon as the USA market opens for the R34 the prices will sky rocket! 

You'd be better putting £70k into an R34 than most things IMO that includes house’s and gold! :shock: 

12 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Increase your budget by going tea total for six months. Is there anything going on between you and Dr T?

Now I know your chatting shit! 

Huh? Doc T? What are you actually going on about....