AndyM

First world F10-series problems

29 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I thought his was petrol?

I'm in the position to comment on both over the next few days as I have a new 520d loaner. Ages since I've driven a diesel and first drive in the G30. 

7 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Not so much of an issue on the F10 but on the F11 someone could walk close to the car while you are closing the boot and it could bump their head - easily coded so the button works both ways - I've done this on mine and a number of other F10/F11s.

Audi have this covered...

Although originally the same it can be coded to close from the key, once this is done there is a bleeping from the tailgate when it's closed from the key (single push) It's actually handy as I don't have to watch it close as I walk away now.

22 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I'm in the position to comment on both over the next few days as I have a new 520d loaner. Ages since I've driven a diesel and first drive in the G30. 

I meant a proper 6 pot derv. 

I don't like the beeping noise that happens when I do a kick under the bumper to close the tailgate. #firstworldF10seriesproblems

1 minute ago, F10 530d said:

Its thirst for washer fluid - the headlight washers do not help in this regard!

The frequency and duration can be coded, I turned mine down iirc. I'd also turn the lights off momentarily to stop the squirts if I'd just cleaned the car. 

7 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

The fact that it bongs at you to tell you that you have just turned on the ignition.

I know the ignition is on, I just turned it on. Must be for the American market.....

My A7 also bongs to tell you the airbag is working, need to sort the coding out on that one too...

1 hour ago, sjj84 said:

The stereo volume control being on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Annoys me because my other bmw is on the left.

That's a schoolboy error, unless there is a large age gap I'd expect uniformity.

7 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Having the volume on the right means you can keep one hand on the steering wheel while adjusting the volume as lets face it your left hand is holding the gear lever.;)

Gear lever? in 2008 maybe.

Don't like the feel of the bottom spoke of the M-sport steering wheel. All of the steering wheel feels nice and solid except when you end up gripping that part, it's plasticy and thin feeling.

I have cursed whoever swapped the volume controls from left to right on the steering wheel countless times. I still own some E46's with the volume on the left so I'm always confused.

Don't like the indicator lever that doesn't stay in position like every other indicator lever in the last 100 years. I noticed they've gone back to a normal one on recent cars so I'm probably not the only one that hated it. Wish they'd go back to a normal gear selector switch too, regular PRND pattern with a solid lever please instead of this masterpiece of German overcomplication.

29 minutes ago, Carlton said:

I have cursed whoever swapped the volume controls from left to right on the steering wheel countless times. I still own some E46's with the volume on the left so I'm always confused.

It frees the left hand to rearrange the scrotum whilst driving on the Autobahn. The left gonad was identified as the culprit so It's purely a safety and ergonomic issue. However, this has been addressed in later models through gesture control.

1 hour ago, Carlton said:

Don't like the indicator lever that doesn't stay in position like every other indicator lever in the last 100 years. 

By contrast I really miss that on my new car, one that stays feels old fashioned now.

I find the sun reflecting off of the dials quite annoying, if the sun hits them, it’s pretty much impossible to make them out, basic climate control on the 520d won’t allow warm air out of the rear vents (small but that really gets to me), seatbelts rattling as mentioned, quality of the i-Drive screen, wiping it you’re bound to scratch it, and I’m anally careful with stuff like that. 

5 hours ago, Liam2594 said:

won’t allow warm air out of the rear vents (small but that really gets to me)

Mad that alright. Though had forgotten how brilliant it is to be able to control hot and cold from the centre slidervent so you can have warm feet and cool air to the face. 

I don't like the way the official roof bars fit to the rails, there's too much gap between the plastic cover and the roof.

image.thumb.png.07fe0447b964b24e19e8bfbbaec4c56e.png