GoNz0

What shocks?

What shocks  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Original equipment spec or aftermarket.

• Sachs that come on the M-sport
    • Koni Special Active

So it turns out the rear shocks for the E61 M-Sport are dealer only, Sachs only sell SE & Sport models, not M-Sport and they confirmed it is a dealer only part.

So the dilemma is to fork out £650 buying 2 shocks from BMW and 2 front Sachs M-sports or go for an alternative and buy the new Koni Special Active shocks that have replaced the FSD's? (£550 all in)

Car handles fine and it is the family outing/holiday car so remaining comfy is a must.

What would you do?

Edited by GoNz0

They are not 'active' airbags as such. I doubt you will notice any difference between sports & M sport. Despite running runflats the ride is very firm with the sports shocks. It's like driving a builders truck with leaf springs. Changing the front to M-sport made big a difference, no more 'crash' at the front when riding uneven surfaces.

IMG_20180421_192058_zpsiyvdozgw.jpg

81910444-fa09-4e7e-aa01-37f1351e2e22_zps

I get the crash with m-sports but I'm putting that down to them being 8 years old with 100 on them.

Edited by GoNz0

I bought some bilstien front m sport shocks back in the day for mine. It was an E60 though but they were absolutely fine.

I went for OEM on mine front two SACHS are no mugs when it comes to shocks. Plus you have the added bonus of if the unthinkable happened and you had an accident its an oem part. 

I’d look at it like if Koni were OEM and SACHS did the aftermarket part would you still consider what one to go for? If the answer is yes then defo go OEM on the SACHS ones.

hope that helps with the dilemma 

28 minutes ago, L88AGC123 said:

I went for OEM on mine front two SACHS are no mugs when it comes to shocks. Plus you have the added bonus of if the unthinkable happened and you had an accident its an oem part. 

I’d look at it like if Koni were OEM and SACHS did the aftermarket part would you still consider what one to go for? If the answer is yes then defo go OEM on the SACHS ones.

hope that helps with the dilemma 

M-sport?

If so are you still on run flats as I'm trying to figure out how the ride is on new shocks as mines so crashy when I hit bumps it's pissing me off. Insurance wise I would declare it anyway.

Thanks for the input :)

M-Sport yes, run flats no. I could not justify the price and also the harshness of the rubber. Changed to KHUMO as for the price I couldn’t find better for an a rating wet tyre. Cant fault them.

in my estate there are speed bumps from hell. No two are the same, i have had a complete suspension overhaul so i know everything is perfect and yes it is slightly crashy but not too bad or annoying.   

No way, they have been sat in my basket for weeks on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371727869719

They came up at £50 with the 20% off.

Nice one m8 :)

(Yes they are right as BMW superseded them as they now fit the previous E39 5 series among other models now)

I nearly bought the bloody things last night, glad I didn't but I have now for £36 :)

Edited by GoNz0

13 hours ago, L88AGC123 said:

M-Sport yes, run flats no. I could not justify the price and also the harshness of the rubber. Changed to KHUMO as for the price I couldn’t find better for an a rating wet tyre. Cant fault them.

in my estate there are speed bumps from hell. No two are the same, i have had a complete suspension overhaul so i know everything is perfect and yes it is slightly crashy but not too bad or annoying.   

I don't know what to do :wacko::blink:

Sachs or Koni SA arghhhhh

4 hours ago, jake13 said:

@GoNz0 buy Lemforder top mounts from GSF. £18 each with 60% discount (GSF60). Code expires tonight.

457BM0041 - Double check order code.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/steering-suspension/shocks-components/suspension-strut-support-bearing

Should I buy these as my car is a 07 Facelift e61 touring 525d. Since I don't think they've been replaced before.... 

13 minutes ago, RightHandGoose said:

Should I buy these as my car is a 07 Facelift e61 touring 525d. Since I don't think they've been replaced before.... 

Are they are compatible for your car?

Edited by jake13

I normally ignore gsf discounts as they are like ECP & the 35% off but this took it to autodoc prices.

3 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh fuck it.

Koni special actives all round on order from Larkspeed :shock:

When you planning to do them - weekend?

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

How much were they? 

£550

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

When you planning to do them - weekend?

If everything has arrived in time next Friday & Saturday, I won't have them by tomorrow to do this weekend.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:52 AM, L88AGC123 said:

L88...you on Lindsayfield by any chance?