andy8

E61/LCI audio upgrade - advice needed pls

Hi everyone,

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but I'm hoping someone can help me improve my sound in my 2008 E61/LCI. I'm fed up with the weak sound as I enjoy my music, however I'm trying to improve the acoustics on a budget!

I have the standard audio spec - 2 front mids and 2 rear mids (in roof) - I'm not sure whether I have tweeters - I may actually have them but have not yet had the door panels off. The sound is pretty poor. 

I'd like to upgrade on a budget - and wondered whether anyone would be kind enough to get in touch to perhaps guide me? Would the first option be upgrading the amp (I think I have one but not entirely sure), or would it be better upgrading my front mids/tweeters? If it's starting with the Amp, would I be able to install a new one, or is this better left to a professional?

And secondly, with removing the door panels are there any potential hiccups that I need to be aware of? I'd like to put some sound deadening stuff in them. 

Any advice really appreciated. Thank you. 

Andy

Hi n welcome 8-),

See my budget choices and useful info I found or was given along the way here:

Edited by DarkHorse
add links

Thank you. 

The more research I do, the more complicated things seem! :-)

I think I'm going to go for some new 3-way speakers with crossovers (something like the MTX?) and see how that improves things first? I'd love an amp/processor but that's just way beyond my budget right now! 

Are the speakers easy to install yourself? I'm a little worried about changing the underseat woofers! 

Thanks.

Andy

And if I was to search for a second-hand Amp on ebay, what sort of Amps should I be looking for? I think I may need an Amp to 'up' the power. 

4-channel with crossover?

Cheers

5 hours ago, andy8 said:

And if I was to search for a second-hand Amp on ebay, what sort of Amps should I be looking for? I think I may need an Amp to 'up' the power. 

4-channel with crossover?

Cheers

Look for either a mono or 2 channel JL Audio XD amp to power the woofers

In the same boat - coming from audi i really miss the stereo.

My last BMW (E46 330D) was shocking, i had an amp (Sony XM-423SL Sound on top) in the glovebox which helped.

popular mod at the time.

Edited by systemf

HELP!! **Getting the most from an improved Amp**

So I'm thinking about buying a 4-channel Vibe Litebox stereo 4 amp and two Earthquake under seat subs. Given that I currently have the OEM amp powering my 2 OEM subs, can my new amp power my 2 new subs and the mid speakers/tweeters in the front doors? And where would that leave the 2 rear speakers?

If so, how do I connect the new Amp up in order to use all 4 channels?

Thank you

earthquake subs are the best you can buy :)

Vibe amps however....very corsa nova....

Your current amp just powers the subs, with the fronts/rears powered from the headunit.  The feed to the rear speakers is also low passed, so you can't just wire your subs in there.

For best sound staging, disconnect the rear speakers completely.  The front speakers can also be replaced as and when your budget allows, the best option being the Focal ES100K, but there are other options available such as MB Quart, Eton or Focal.

I would have thought the hi-fi audio option was 'ok', as already has 8" boot Amp driven subs and 4ohm speakers all round, just there's no EQ options in the iDrive like with the Logic7 option (which seems to be 2ohm kit?).

Jeez, you should start from the "basic" audio offering, now that seriously sucks! :wacko:

Given the amount of hassle and cash it requires to step up, I'd verify that the subs and door tweeters were all performing correctly and not blown. Then if you find the bass lacking, maybe consider a floor sub upgrade (which was fiddly enough for my liking) and see how that sounds, before throwing cash at a boot Amp upgrade etc.

Though I tend to put the 'B' in budget! ;)

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

15 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

I would have thought the hi-fi audio option was 'ok', as already has 8" boot Amp driven subs and 4ohm speakers all round, just there's no EQ options in the iDrive like with the Logic7 option (which seems to be 2ohm kit?).

Jeez, you should start from the "basic" audio offering, now that seriously sucks! :wacko:

Given the amount of hassle and cash it requires to step up, I'd verify that the subs and door tweeters were all performing correctly and not blown. Then if you find the bass lacking, maybe consider a floor sub upgrade (which was fiddly enough for my liking) and see how that sounds, before throwing cash at a boot Amp upgrade etc.

Though I tend to put the 'B' in budget! ;)

Nah, the Hi Fi setup only has 6.5" diameter subs in an 8" chassis, the HK system then had the proper 8" drivers.

Thanks both!

I think one of my "ghost subs" may have blown anyhow, plus I'm looking for better, more crisp and punchy bass! I need to take the front door panel off to check for tweeters as I certainly don't have any sound coming from the tweeter dome near the wing mirrors. 

The sound I suppose is 'ok' at best, but certainly not exciting and struggles when turned up a bit. I feel like the factory amp struggles to do it's job, so I'm excited to try a new amp in the boot!! 

1 minute ago, andy8 said:

My other option is forgetting a new amp and earthquake subs, and going for these - https://www.adamrayner.net/bmws-speakers-beaten-by-mtx-offering-2/

What do you think? Anyone tried these? 

Look at the MB Quartz set 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MB-Quart-02014QM-200-3-BMW-QM-200-3/dp/B009ESLXN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529962937&sr=8-1&keywords=mb+quart+bmw

8 minutes ago, andy8 said:

certainly don't have any sound coming from the tweeter dome near the wing mirrors.

That makes a big difference without them, plus with questionable floor sub woofer condition, the experience will sound pretty poor.

22 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

Nah, the Hi Fi setup only has 6.5" diameter subs in an 8" chassis, the HK system then had the proper 8" drivers.

Yeah, I wasn't sure as the web page with dimensions isn't there anymore :(http://musicarnw.com/bmw-factory-audio-explained/

20 hours ago, andy8 said:

...Given that I currently have the OEM amp powering my 2 OEM subs, can my new amp power my 2 new subs and the mid speakers/tweeters in the front doors? And where would that leave the 2 rear speakers?

I'm wondering if your system is 'Hi-Fi' SA676 option or a partly upgraded Basic Audio setup? Maybe someone fitted an Amp to drive under seat subs (that may have also been upgraded). You can check the VIN number factory options or see if there are any tweeters fitted to the front door quarters. Plus the 'Hi-Fi' SA676 option should have a 6 channel Amp powering all the car speakers.

676 HiFi loudspeaker system http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=224023&d=1204094124

http://musicarnw.com/bmw-factory-audio-explained/  (which I think is reflected in the E60 also).

http://musicarnw.com/bmw-sound-systems-by-us-model-year/ US - Note: early E60 sedans have an unusual hybrid system called “HiFi” – please contact us for information about these vehicles).

So I'm a little confused...

Nope, the 676 HiFi system just has a two channel analog amp powering the underseat subs, all other speakers are powered from the headunit.  It does have tweeters in the front doors though, and better mid range units than the basic system.

Yes, what is confusing about my current setup is I definitely have an amp in the boot, but definitely no tweeters in the tweeter domes. 

Can tweeters be attached to the mid drivers as I seem to have high-end sound?

Below is a pic of my amp. I haven’t a clue how many channels it has.? 

Is is there a way I can find out using my VIN? 

Thanks 

E63B5C35-FF50-4455-B7B2-FB6BD6C9F85B.jpeg

Turns out I don't have an amp - I have the basic audio system powered from the head-unit. Thank you Dotcom for your help with this!!

So I think I'm going with a 4-channel amp to power some new Quartz subs and front mids via an Audison biamp. 

Cool, I expect you'll also be adding some tweeters.

We will look forward to hearing about the upgrade,

hopefully with all the details and how much etc.;)