gaza01

Manual Conversion Help

Hey Guys

After a bit of a break I'm now back on restoring the 528i. Things slowed up due to a few issues but they are now all behind me. I have been collecting parts however to the point I have no more space left in my 2 sheds.

One of the things I want to tackle is a manual conversion. The manual e28 boxes are like rocking horse poo now so looking at the e34 535i box. I read this thread http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/66833-535i-auto-to-manual-conversion/ and see that it is possible so just looking for some clarity. If I'm right (please correct me where I'm not)

- bolts straight on

- holes need to be drilled for sensors OR convert to M1.3 

- need the clutch master cylinder and clutch line...assuming this is from the e34?

- need a slave cylinder

- the automatic switchable stuff, throttle position sensor I sort of understand and will tackle once I know what I've currently got on the car

- diff I may just go down the route of having a lsd built to whatever spec is recommended...any one have an details of this?

- need the manual tail shaft

- need the manual mount

- pedal box I have from a e28 so assuming this will work ok

Can you guys review and chime in to steer me on this please. What I'd like to get out of this is a comprehensive list of parts that I can send to a breaker to get stripped off a 535i. If there is anyone wanting to take on the job then even better...let me know.

I've given myself a deadline of May next year to complete the build. Currently working on getting her running properly again as she's not idling at the moment. Also need to change the petrol tank as its leaking. Once I've got these bits sorted she's off to the restoration company to do all the welding etc. Once out from there I'd like to get the transmission swapped.

Thanks

- bolts straight on A E34 M30 manual box will bolt straight onto your M30b28

- holes need to be drilled for sensors OR convert to M1.3  Correct, however around late 1989 they changed the boxes so there was no bosses to be drilled out, so you are looking for early E34 boxes, or yes convert to M1.3 from a E32 or E34 M30'd car. However, if you are still running your M30b28 management system, you will not have the two sensor's in the bell housing, but just one on the front of the crank.

- need the clutch master cylinder and clutch line...assuming this is from the e34? Clutch master cylinder is attached to the pedal box, should come with that, the line is easy enough to make up

- need a slave cylinder Attached to the box

- the automatic switchable stuff, throttle position sensor I sort of understand and will tackle once I know what I've currently got on the car You can keep all of that in situ, just a couple of wires to attach, off the top of my head I can not remember what they are

- diff I may just go down the route of having a lsd built to whatever spec is recommended...any one have an details of this? The world is your oyster on this, depend's what box you get as the ratio of the box and diff want to to married up, there is a spread sheet somewhere with it on

- need the manual tail shaft Yes

- need the manual mount Yes

- pedal box I have from a e28 so assuming this will work ok Or E24, you can just purchase the clutch pedal from Bmw, there is difference's in year's, so be careful with that

Can you guys review and chime in to steer me on this please. What I'd like to get out of this is a comprehensive list of parts that I can send to a breaker to get stripped off a 535i. If there is anyone wanting to take on the job then even better...let me know.

I've given myself a deadline of May next year to complete the build. Currently working on getting her running properly again as she's not idling at the moment. Also need to change the petrol tank as its leaking. Once I've got these bits sorted she's off to the restoration company to do all the welding etc. Once out from there I'd like to get the transmission swapped.

Thanks

On 6/24/2018 at 7:46 AM, Tims said:

- bolts straight on A E34 M30 manual box will bolt straight onto your M30b28

- holes need to be drilled for sensors OR convert to M1.3  Correct, however around late 1989 they changed the boxes so there was no bosses to be drilled out, so you are looking for early E34 boxes, or yes convert to M1.3 from a E32 or E34 M30'd car. However, if you are still running your M30b28 management system, you will not have the two sensor's in the bell housing, but just one on the front of the crank.

- need the clutch master cylinder and clutch line...assuming this is from the e34? Clutch master cylinder is attached to the pedal box, should come with that, the line is easy enough to make up

- need a slave cylinder Attached to the box

- the automatic switchable stuff, throttle position sensor I sort of understand and will tackle once I know what I've currently got on the car You can keep all of that in situ, just a couple of wires to attach, off the top of my head I can not remember what they are

- diff I may just go down the route of having a lsd built to whatever spec is recommended...any one have an details of this? The world is your oyster on this, depend's what box you get as the ratio of the box and diff want to to married up, there is a spread sheet somewhere with it on

- need the manual tail shaft Yes

- need the manual mount Yes

- pedal box I have from a e28 so assuming this will work ok Or E24, you can just purchase the clutch pedal from Bmw, there is difference's in year's, so be careful with that

Thanks

Tim is this a package you can put together based on you current stock? 

Can you confirm if you have the two sensor's in the bell housing or not?