gambit

poor fuel economy

4 minutes ago, coolhand9 said:

I used Forte for years on my E39 540 and for the last year on my E60 550, always with positive results. I find that a bottle every six months is as effective but cheaper than running a tank of super unleaded from time to time ( I'm doing fairly low mileage at the moment). It was originally recommended to me by a mechanic who swore by it. He used two bottles to a tank of fuel on poorly running cars, I've only ever used one bottle per tank as that has always been sufficient. Before that I used Reddex which does the same job but nowhere near as well. There are many other additives about that probably do the same job but I haven't used them to be able to comment.

Forte saying it is for trade use only just means they only want to supply in bulk and prefer to deal with trade rather than individual customers. This is not uncommon and as you pointed out it is readily available on the internet.

Thanks mate!

Your opinion on the temps?

oh sorry and what best way to use the forte stuff.  I have three bottles - def cleaner/diesel cleaner and turbo cleaner all same size.  Use all at once or individually? how much fuel (I don't want to put a full tank just for sake of doing this) On motorway? how long what speed etc?

I'd use one bottle at a time to at least half a tank. Normal driving is fine just give it a bit of a blast before putting the next bottle in to blow out any loose deposits.

Personally, if my economy was as bad as you state, I'd do the following:

- get a fault code reading done

- check actual running temperatures

- look for a binding brake

The first one can be a DIY thing if you have some BMW diagnostic software. Likewise the second one can be done with diagnostics equipment. The third one, touch each wheel hub after a run; they should be touchable. If they're too hot, there's your issue.

I'm back, and I'm hijacking this thread.

My WRX STi has a 45 litre tank.

Tell me how many miles I get to a tank.

I'm waitinnnnnng……...

Edited by Dr Taylor

Just now, Dr Taylor said:

Hell, no.

My STi is the 520d's retarded special needs cousin.  It just needs love and acceptance.

And lots and lots of V Powah.

235 miles from 70 litres of pure local town driving :lol:. I keep racking up those Shell vouchers every quarter and I have the 'red vpower' club card by invitation only 10 years ago :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, jake13 said:

235 miles from 70 litres of pure local town driving :lol:. I keep racking up those Shell vouchers every quarter and I have the 'red vpower' club card by invitation only 10 years ago :ph34r:

Aaaannnndddd….my big reveal.  You get 235 miles from 70 litres.

I get 205 miles from 45 litres.

Shell.  Love.  Me.

They love charging me 141.9 a litre.  Love it.

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Dr Taylor said:

Aaaannnndddd….my big reveal.  You get 235 miles from 70 litres.

I get 205 miles from 45 litres.

Shell.  Love.  Me.

They love charging me 141.9 a litre.  Love it.

:ph34r:

13.5 mpg and for 5 years running exclusively on Vpower diesel. I previously owned a 1.8l banger which ran on V power unleaded for 7 years. Doc, we are both ready for the S85 V10 - No pain no gain :D

11 hours ago, jake13 said:

13.5 mpg and for 5 years running exclusively on Vpower diesel. I previously owned a 1.8l banger which ran on V power unleaded for 7 years. Doc, we are both ready for the S85 V10 - No pain no gain :D

Ha, ha!

If and when my STi blows up (I'm aiming for 350whp without forging the engine...erm...anyway...), then I'll be wanting NA goodness: no more turbo hoses to leak, and laaaaaaaaag.

At that point, I will no doubt return to the BMW fold, in search of straight or V6 powah.

Unless Corbyn and his crazed leftist-anarchists have banned fun by that time...

:shock:

10 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

That will be a long search for a V6 powered BMW;)

...mornin'...

Ok - anything NA with lots of pop pop.

I saw an M2 outside my house last weekend: gorgeous.  But - I can't live with all the angst: where do I park?  What if that truck coming the other way doesn't move over?  Did I kerb the rear alloy?

Driving a 12-year-old Scooby is liberating: I have dents; I have AWD; I am small on the road; the alloys are gold (meaning - magical); I make lots of scary noises.

Hell - even tractors run from me now.  :lol:

Edited by Dr Taylor