Johncc

Which grade oil is best?

Hi,new to the forum have just bought a 98 528i with 192000 on the clock and was wondering what grade of oil you guys would recommend for the oil change ? Thanks john.

BMW ACEA3/4 LL01

Either 5w30 or 5w40 IMO, as long as its not using any oil etc

Eurocarparts TripleQX oil is more then sufficient and I'd go with the Mann filter they sell too

Look on ebay on their shop before you buy in store / via their website as it can be quite a bit cheaper too! 

Thanks, will get some. The car doesnt loose or leak any oil but occasionally when the engine is at running temp the low oil pressure warning comes on at idle in neutral.

Castrol Fully Synthetic LL04 5w30 or 5w40

Get a quality oil filter - Mann

It's all horses for courses and personal tastes/budgets etc

General concensus is 5w30 or 5w40

IMO 0w40 is no good for engines with higher miles etc

19 hours ago, Johncc said:

Thanks, will get some. The car doesn't loose or leak any oil but occasionally when the engine is at running temp the low oil pressure warning comes on at idle in neutral.

At almost 200k miles I'd definitely go for 5w40 and not 5w-30, but given the above then in summer especially you could seek out a high quality 10w-40 synthetic. Hard to find,  most are semi-synthetic at that viscocity but I wouldn't rule that out either.

5W40 will be spot on

There are cars over on bimmerforums that have done 300k plus and they're still on 5w40 with no issues

I don't know of an oil that meets BMW specs and is 10W40

11 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I don't know of an oil that meets BMW specs and is 10W40

I don't think that particularly matters if it is right for a particular engine. For example the oil below has no BMW approval but for some high mileage engines it may be the best thing to use, 

https://www.engineoildirect.co.uk/10w-40-valvoline-max-life-5ll

Edited by Tuvoc

8 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I don't think that particularly matters if it is right for a particular engine. For example the oil below has no BMW approval but for some high mileage engines it may be the best thing to use, 

https://www.engineoildirect.co.uk/10w-40-valvoline-max-life-5ll

Did think that, Millers do a similar oil and 'think' the Triple QX 10W40 meats ACAE3/4 standards too (although the bottle states for diesels etc)

Fuchs do a few; but I think they're all semi-syn, used them a lot with most of my previous Hondas etc (I had an account with Opie at one point) :lol: 

I think the lines are a bit blurred between semi-synthetic and full synthetic in some cases. Full synthetic surprisingly may mean many things. I've seen Triple QX fully synthetic referred to as a  "synthetic blend". It is a bit of a minefield which is why many people put their trust in major brands. Anyway, all the oils I've ever used have worked :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

I think the lines are a bit blurred between semi-synthetic and full synthetic in some cases. Full synthetic surprisingly may mean many things. I've seen Triple QX fully synthetic referred to as a  "synthetic blend". It is a bit of a minefield which is why many people put their trust in major brands. Anyway, all the oils I've ever used have worked :mrgreen:

Same; that's why I save my £££ and stick with Triple QX and Mann filters from ECP; about the only things they sell that are reasonably priced and do what they're supposed to do :) 

EVERY oil "works", no doubt about that. BUT... you don't really know how well it "works" until you do a used oil analysis. Anyway, DON'T use any semisynthetic or 10W oil. The price difference is really not so big, you should only put synthetics in your engine. 5w30/40 or 0w/40. I have a diesel, and been using 0w40 Mobil1 with no problems for the last 8-9 years. 260.000 km, and does not use/burn any of the oil, maybe max. 1/2 litre between oil changes. With quality filters.