Dakota

Runflats questions - sorry!

Sorry if this has been asked before!

When my RF's need replacing I plan to go for normal tyres.

I assume I then need a puncture repair kit/sealant and air pump?

If the tyre is goosed then what, I assume breakdown cover will tow you to a tyre centre?

Can I replace them by axle (2 at a time) rather than all 4 at once?  Does the tyre pressure monitoring system work with non run flats?

Do I need to inform the insurance company when they ask "has the car been modified in any way?"

Many thanks.

I did exactly what you are proposing to do, first I notified the insurance company that I was replacing the rear run flats to Michelin primacy non runflats and the size of the tyres were staying the same and the speed rating was changing from Y96 to Y100, all they asked was I increasing the performance of the car, easy answer was no just purely changing the rear run flats to non run flats.

I did initialy change just the worn rear Bridgestone run flats to the new Michelin non run flats, but after about 1000 miles i swapped them to the front axle, and move the stil good Bridgestone run flats to the rear, the reason I finally decided that was the bridgestone run flats would wear out quicker on the back as the others did, which meant I would that much sooner on all four tyres non run flats.

I purchased a small 12 volt compressor and some tyre sealant that can be washed out of the tyre with water should it be used for a temporally puncture repair, you should be aware that a lot of the tyre repairers refuse to do a repair on tyres that have had tyre sealant put in as most of the sealant used can not be washed out, so they just want you to purchase another new tyre, they state they cannot do a effective permanent repair.

I did reset the tyre pressure warning system after they were change over, as I have not had a punture yet I can only asume the sytem still works as intended.

And yes you could also join a breakdown cover that covers puntures etc,

Cheers Oilburner, did you notice any improvement in the ride or noise with the non RF's?  Are the benefits worth the potential for grief should you puncture?

I changed the police RF setup on the F11 to a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ around 4 months after I got it. (Covers me for the required winter tyres in the snow season). Insurance weren't interested.

The ride is soooo much nicer and noticeably quieter too.

I carry the BMW Mobility Kit (71102333674) - compressor with selectable, replaceable sealant and my recovery policy also covers punctures, even here outside UK.

The TPMS works just the same as it is based on wheelspeed which changes as the pressure drops. I know it works as I recently found a lovely screw and carefully drove over it causing a slow puncture on my 3 month old tyre :angry: 

If you get a puncture that can be repaired, all well and good. If you get one and use the gunk, many tyre places will claim they can't repair it safely due to the possibility of residual sealant, so you're on for a new tyre anyway. If you get a puncture and shred the tyre, no amount of sealant is going to help you, so again you're looking at new rubber.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Grip, noise, comfort. All improved when moving from ContiSport runflats to non runflats, and cheaper to boot. Whats not to like! 

Experience is usually that punctures happen far less with non runflats. Certainly in my experience, had double the number of punctures over 3-4 years with runflats than over the entirety of the rest of my driving history.

Edited by SuperDave

Tyre pressure monitoring will still work, all you need to do is leave the pressure valve kit in place and not remove it.

Its up to you what you carry to deal with a flat tyre, compressor, space saver with jack, tyre foam or an AA card.

In eighteen years of BMW ownership I've only ever had one puncture (on a rft) and it cost me £12 to fix.

Dakota - To be honest I did not see that much improvement in ride quality, noise is slightly lower and fuel consumption saw slight improvement, but at the moment I may not be seeing the full benefit because two tyres are still runflats.

I forgot to mention before but the tyre compressor I chose was a Tire Tec RX1 which had the least of any compressor complaints in their reviews, and tyre sealant was Slime to-date I have never used the sealant, but have used compressor several times on both vehicles, this is a great alround compressor you can preset the pressure required, when I checked the preset pressure against a known accurate gauge it showed a constant half pound psi out from memory was under inflation but you can allow for this, just go 1 psi higher and drop it back a tad, I also purchased the Tire Tec Pro tyre gauge which has a pressure release valve making easy to adjust pressure spot on.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:39 AM, Oilburner said:

To be honest I did not see that much improvement in ride quality.....I may not be seeing the full benefit because two tyres are still runflats.

Hmm, you think! :lol:

The biggest difference is with softer walled non-run flats, so Michelin Cross-climate etc. But you definitely won't get the right effect if you only change two.

Edited by SuperDave

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I'm not convinced a like for like non rft tyre is that much cheaper than an rft tyre.

Last time I changed like for like, £40 per corner cheaper

Currently Michelin Primacy 3 * 100Y XL MO 245/45/R18 Y is £34.90 cheaper than Michelin Primacy 3 ZP * MOE 100Y XL Runflats, this price was from Formula One Autocentres, both BMW recommended tyres.

Touches wood, zero punctures (the crossclimate has a very slow rivet embedded) since swapping my runflats off my e60 and f10 history, can of air and gunge if required.