GBS

Advice on Pre Purchase Inspection results needed 530i

Looking to purchase a 2003 530i Japanese Import and just had a Pre-Purchase Inspection done and below are the findings. I'm not very technically minded when it comes to cars so would be good to get thoughts on how big the issue and a rough estimate for a fix?

1. Rear anti roll bar links worn, recommend changing very soon
  2. Drivebelt noise, advised to remove belt and check pulley (could this be a pulley/tensioner replacement?)
  3. Aftermarket key used
  4. Fuel Cap Seal Perishing
  5. Both front seat backrest adjustment not working properly
  6. OFS seat height adjustment not working properly

Overall been told car is in very good condition and nothing major wrong. Thanks for any help :)

They're all easy to sort. 

Not sure re the seat issue though, wonder if the seat rails a bit twisted, or the cables snagged etc

The rest I wouldn't be concerned about, all straight forward to sort

As per Dan.  All doable from a Diy perspective and relatively cheap. ARB links are 30 minute job. Pulleys and belts are straight forward just need a tool to remove the viscous fan (£20 off EBay).the noise though could be from the aircon pump, steering pump or alternator. Worst case water pump so you would need to consider cooling system refresh (£££)  Fuel filler cap again £15 off EBay. Seats could be more complex depending on if they are manual or electric seats. 

As above and per my PM to you a few mins ago. Get Andy Walker to give you an estmate where possible.

Thanks all for the advice.

These are eletric seats so I'm worried it may be a touch complicated, however looking around people mention it could be loose connectors etc.

I think I'll need to replace the cooling system at some point, this is a very low mileage Japanese Import. I'll try and get an estimate from the garage. The pre-inspection didn't mention any leaks or cooling failure, but if it's not been replaced it will need to be!

Cheers!

Edited by GBS

If you don't have two keys, insist on it. For the purchase price that not an unreasonable request. Also, how long is the MOT?

7 hours ago, GBS said:

Thanks all for the advice.

These are eletric seats so I'm worried it may be a touch complicated, however looking around people mention it could be loose connectors etc.

I think I'll need to replace the cooling system at some point, this is a very low mileage Japanese Import. I'll try and get an estimate from the garage. The pre-inspection didn't mention any leaks or cooling failure, but if it's not been replaced it will need to be!

Cheers!

Personally, I’d replace the cooling system sooner rather than later. Peace of mind and all that 

Those issues are easy to fix and not expensive , cooling system will need overhaul like Dan said simple job if u can diy.

Another thing is Waxoyl, if you want that car to remain rust free .

Thanks all, advice is much appreciated.

MOT is for another 10 months so all good on that