Sign in to follow this  
d_a_n1979

From E39 To E65 - anyone done this move?

I'm seriously considering a move back to a big 7 and there are some cracking spec 645s and 650s out there currently... 

I'm thinking that whatever money I pump into the 530i now, I'm never going to get back and if I sell now'ish I'll get the best money for it

But wondering if its just a whim too :lol:

I'd love another big wafty car with a V8 this time, but also concerned I'll miss the handling of the E39

Thoughts? 

Love the 7’s BUT there’s that much shit on them to go wrong electronically speaking it scares even me! I’d sooner run the cayenne Turbo we had again! 

If it where me though id be looking at the 750’s and 60’s ;) 

oh long wheel base and a chauffeur to go with it! 

Preferably with the fridge in the back for well you know, to keep your beers cold! :D 

2 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Love the 7’s BUT there’s that much shit on them to go wrong electronically speaking it scares even me! I’d sooner run the cayenne Turbo we had again! 

If it where me though id be looking at the 750’s and 60’s ;) 

oh long wheel base and a chauffeur to go with it! 

Preferably with the fridge in the back for well you know, to keep your beers cold! :D 

I know you'd go down the alcohol route :lol:

1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I know you'd go down the alcohol route :lol:

I suppose you could keep your growth in there as well....

;) 

7’s are a good buy, and reliable. Lot of car for peanuts. New ones will piss all over an E39 from a handling perspective.

[EDIT]

E65 ? They’re shit !

Edited by roofer

I'd give the E65 a miss if you can and go for an F01

The pre-facelift E65's were gopping at the front end and as mentioned electrically vulnerable.

A facelift 750i Sport or SWB 760i is a good car especially with dynamic drive plus ventilating and oscillating Comfort seats

Just now, E39mad said:

A facelift 750i Sport or SWB 760i is a good car especially with dynamic drive plus ventilating and oscillating Comfort seats

A nine month old 760Li can be yours for considerably less than 50% list price!

if you don't have a spare £50k.......

go for an N62 E65, make sure you familiarise your self with every single gasket and seal that retains the LL04 stuff as they will need replacing. Fact. Check for signs of oil stem seal wear on these engines too. My secondary air system also fired off a code but to no detriment. They also have the flaky 6HP auto. 

The E39 is a good looking car, the E65 isn't.

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

A nine month old 760Li can be yours for considerably less than 50% list price!

if you don't have a spare £50k.......

go for an N62 E65, make sure you familiarise your self with every single gasket and seal that retains the LL04 stuff as they will need replacing. Fact. Check for signs of oil stem seal wear on these engines too. My secondary air system also fired off a code but to no detriment. They also have the flaky 6HP auto. 

The E39 is a good looking car, the E65 isn't.

Very true... thanks gents, mind made up :lol:

time me to pump more £££ into the E39!

Anyone want to buy my 19” LM reps and tyres? ;) 

Have you considered a well equipped F10 Five series?  It may be smaller than the Seven, but it's still bloody big.  It also wafts beautifully.....

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Have you considered a well equipped F10 Five series?  It may be smaller than the Seven, but it's still bloody big.  It also wafts beautifully.....

Father in law has one. Too small for me, night sound daft, but it's roomier in my E39 for someone of my build! 

Plus out of the budget I'd want to spend 

4 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Very very few V8 waftomatic F10s.

I've seen one.

One guy near me has one who is on here and he has had a good bit of bother with it plus our cousins across the pond who's government still allow V8s have had loads of bother with the engines in them. Best avoided me thinks. 

I've just gone F10 to F01 (similiar move as E39 to E65 only a generation newer). 

To be honest, F01 feels better screwed together and most certainly more luxury BUT the dynamic of the 5 as a balanced machine was better. The F01 is good, can be sporty and isn't a slouch but the F10 was just everything you need for comfort, sporty and well a general all round car. 

Then again, i'm still getting acustomed to the F01 so I'm sure the love will grow

2 minutes ago, sanjx said:

I've just gone F10 to F01 (similiar move as E39 to E65 only a generation newer). 

To be honest, F01 feels better screwed together and most certainly more luxury BUT the dynamic of the 5 as a balanced machine was better. The F01 is good, can be sporty and isn't a slouch but the F10 was just everything you need for comfort, sporty and well a general all round car. 

Then again, i'm still getting acustomed to the F01 so I'm sure the love will grow

Stop-gap until you get your M5.

38 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Very very few V8 waftomatic F10s.

I've seen one.

One guy near me has one who is on here and he has had a good bit of bother with it plus our cousins across the pond who's government still allow V8s have had loads of bother with the engines in them. Best avoided me thinks. 

Of course - it’s a modern BMW.

I don’t know how they get away with producing some of the shite that they do, and still sell cars by the shipload. 

14 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Of course - it’s a modern BMW.

I don’t know how they get away with producing some of the shite that they do, and still sell cars by the shipload. 

Why buy a Ford when you can have a BMW on the never never to show off to the Jones's next door. 

The car just needs to last the length of time the first owner takes out the finance for..

12 hours ago, jake13 said:

Stop-gap until you get your M5.

Absolutely, I'm still looking for the right F10 M5. I'm hoping the value's will drop further as the new G series becomes common place. The values at present where dropping by around £1k/month and the 7 will hopefully lose less so I took the plunge. Beauty of this plan being that the F01 doesn't fit in the garage but the F10 would....and the garage is empty so SWMBO has no objections to a second car (at the moment) :)