d1mkaz

Under seat battery size

Hi, I need a new battery for E34 525iX, it's under rear seat, at the moment it is Bosch S3 but the tray seems big enough to take bigger battery, 

I guess it can not be higher that 190 mm, but what about length? Would it take Bosch S4 or similar with length 353 & width 175mm?

Thank you!

Hi there. Does your iX actually have a battery tray? Mine is mounted directly on the floor and a bracket and bolt hold it down.

The key dimension is width for still being able to utilize the factory clamp. Width should be 175mm. I chose a 278 x 175 x175 mm Varta E43.

Maximum dimensions that will fit I believe are: 315 x 175 x 190 mm

Thanks Big Will, you are correct there are no battery tray just the floor, my battery at the moment is similar size like your Varta E43, I actually have a Bosch S4 007 but I want to go bigger just want someone to confirm the maximum length and height. Would 354 x 175 x 190 fit?

An 019 battery (354 x 175 x 190) will definitely fit, though can be a little awkward to get into place. There appears to be two different types of clamp specified/available, both simple affairs. 

I always recommend as large a battery that can be physically fitted. 

14 minutes ago, FIVE-OH said:

An 019 battery (354 x 175 x 190) will definitely fit, though can be a little awkward to get into place. There appears to be two different types of clamp specified/available, both simple affairs. 

I always recommend as large a battery that can be physically fitted. 

Thank you! I will try to fit 019.  

That's a big battery. The 175 width is the key though to getting it clamped down. I didn't think a 354 would fit but great if you can! That said, I have used this car in the Alps in pretty cold weather and haven't had a problem getting it started with this battery which I think is 680cca.

How do you determine what's the correct battery spec for your car? M50 525i?

RealOEM doesn't say much, you've got there 50/65/75 AH and that's it, but it doesn't say which one applies to the vehicle.

It's not the end of the world, if you buy a slightly smaller/bigger battery, but just curious to know...

14 hours ago, Blackman said:

How do you determine what's the correct battery spec for your car? M50 525i?

RealOEM doesn't say much, you've got there 50/65/75 AH and that's it, but it doesn't say which one applies to the vehicle.

It's not the end of the world, if you buy a slightly smaller/bigger battery, but just curious to know...

I could not find that information, was always replacing old one with equivalent new one, but after searching online I found that for older cars it's better to have a bigger one (Ah) but correct dimensions of the battery is a mystery to me I think best way is actually measuring a battery bay / tray. 

Received battery today, it's not top brand - Enduroline. Bought it from Tayna batteries based in Luton. 

Funny that in advert the measurements are 354 x 175 x 190 , but when I put the old one (Bosch S4 007) next to it just to see the size difference it appeared that height is the same. I did not have a ruler to take a measurement but it went in quite easy so I guess the height is 175. I just could not fix holding bracket in place, it needs a bit of bending otherwise all good. Hopefully it will last.   

On 20 June 2018 at 10:12 AM, d1mkaz said:

Thank you! I will try to fit 019.  

I can also confirm that a 019 will fit under the rear seat of an E34. That's exactly what I fitted in my 540iA/T :)

On 21 June 2018 at 5:56 PM, d1mkaz said:

Received battery today, it's not top brand - Enduroline. Bought it from Tayna batteries based in Luton. 

Funny that in advert the measurements are 354 x 175 x 190 , but when I put the old one (Bosch S4 007) next to it just to see the size difference it appeared that height is the same. I did not have a ruler to take a measurement but it went in quite easy so I guess the height is 175. I just could not fix holding bracket in place, it needs a bit of bending otherwise all good. Hopefully it will last.   

Tanya batteries have always been superb with me. Great customer service. 

I thought they were bases in Wales though, not Luton?!

23 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Tanya batteries have always been superb with me. Great customer service. 

I thought they were bases in Wales though, not Luton?!

you are probably right, I just know that delivery was made from Luton, maybe ther is a warehouse.