Sign in to follow this  
mumbojumbo

E39 540 issue

Hi Guys, 2002 BMW 540. 

Got a Engine Failsafe message on the dash on Sunday, followed by cutting out on Idle. Car runs fine other than that and no misfire to speak of. 

Ran the codes on INPA and comes up with code 130 DK Position monitoring, which i deducted to be the pre cat lambda sensor. 

my question is: is that the correct corresponding part for that code? BMW want £170 per sensor, so want to be 100% sure... 

Thx

Clem

Edited by mumbojumbo

Hi Clem. I think you have looked the code up for the wrong DME. From what I have read, the 540i has the ME7.2 and the corresponding result for 130 is 'throttle actuator'. That would make more sense for the 'DK position monitoring' reported by INPA. This could be as simple as the throttle plate being a bit gummed up.

Aha thanks for this, yes i think i've been looking at the wrong DME

So after a little research, It's not really clear what throttle actuator actually means, has anyone had this code before?

I was getting an engine failsafe warning intermittently a while back and a fault code related to the throttle body (can't remember what the exact code was though sorry). It turned out that the multi plug on the throttle body wasn't clipped on properly and the contacts had oxidised, a bit of switch cleaner and properly seating the connector seems to have cured it..

Mate, now that you've said that, my multi connector clips on the throttle are broken (dont ask how), will pop the bonnet later and check the connections...