Abbadon

Honest Opinion Required

My car was hit by another driver on Friday :(

I need to decide whether to go total loss, or buy the car back to try and sell it to someone/break it myself.

Mileage is 180k, 530d, 53 plate, engine was rebuilt during the previous owners stewardship as it ate the swirl flaps, so its de-flapped.

Has a remap with EGR delete. Didnt ever have a DPF being a 53 plate.

M-sport bumpers and 20" reps in the M5 style. Black Leather interior.

The car was hit in the nearside  almost centrally to main damage to both doors, and the pillar and sill, and because of the pillar. ripple to the roof surface. Likely floor as well.

So the chassis is fooked. 

But because of the location, running gear and lots of the rest are untouched, and apart from the sill cover poking forward, its driveable.

Is it possible I might find a buyer who would want it to break or at least buy for the engine/trans etc..?

I've probably spent too much on it in last 8 months, I have a list of parts fitted, ill type that up later.

I'm really just looking for opinions as I have to decide fairly quickly and I don't know the best way to go.

20180615_164740.jpg

Ouch. Sorry to see that :(

Breaking a car is a hassle but can be profitable. Depends how much they are offering it too you for and whether you have the time and space for a shell to sit on your drive. 

Personally I'd take the easy bits off, replace them with shitty/cheap/free bits and then get rid

Unless you have the time and space to break a car; it can be an absolute ball ache and then you'll have folk dropping out of buying stuff, messing you around etc

As others have mentioned, it depends on how much to buy back and how much time you have to crack on with the spanners...

C.

With it being a 53 plate, I'd say the payout will be on the low side, and therefore, the salvage will be cheap enough, but is there really that much of value on the car that you can deal with yourself?  Wheels are reps, so not hugely valuable, but should find a home.  Engine was rebuilt which is good, but it's still a 180k motor.  If you were going to buy a similar car to replace it, then it might be economical for you to use all the new parts you had fitted to this one, if they are easy to remove.

If you're thinking of keeping it just to sell on whole, then I wouldn't bother.  Work on maximising the payout and move on.

Shame.  Looks like that was a nice car pre crash.

As above. Unless you have a queue of people waving wads of cash at you for the bits, I wouldn't bother. Not sure if this still works but you may be able to get the insurance company to increase their settlement figure by pointing out the goodies on the car. Might not mention the remap and EGR delete though ;)

Edited by whiskychaser

It was nice to drive, and cosmetically was pretty tidy too, which is making it all the worse. Put fair effort in to ridding it of all faults just to have it smashed up is pretty heart breaking. At least if Id crashed it I would have been enjoying myself!

I guess I had listed in my head the following:

Bumpers £100 each

boot Spoiler £30?

Wheels inc 2 very new uniroyals - £300??

after that im really in the unknown? anyone have a hit list? i really need guidance...

I have the offroad space, I have tools, I have less time but I guess there is no time limit once I start...

What id like to know is how easy is it to get a shell removed at the end? And what the best order to remove stuff would be?

Andy 

Aim to pay £500 for the salvage. Then drive it to the nearest Copart salvage auction where BMW stuff makes insane money and make yourself a grand. I'd break it myself as I have a decent sized workshop. The engine is a grand if it's nice and can be heard running and that's the first thing to sell. At least get a video of it running. A working autobox is £300, Front end panels, lights, wheels, ECU, modules. Has it got Dynamic drive? The racks are worth a fortune. Standard leather isn't valuable but many E60's have vile cloth .

There are no E60's in regular scrapyards and so parts are still quite pricey compared to old E39 crap. Genuine E60 M Sport bumpers are more than £100!

There's £2500+ in that if you have time, room and patience to deal with the inevitable idiots. The shell with V5 can be taken for free.

14 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Aim to pay £500 for the salvage. Then drive it to the nearest Copart salvage auction where BMW stuff makes insane money and make yourself a grand. I'd break it myself as I have a decent sized workshop. The engine is a grand if it's nice and can be heard running and that's the first thing to sell. At least get a video of it running. A working autobox is £300, Front end panels, lights, wheels, ECU, modules. Has it got Dynamic drive? The racks are worth a fortune. Standard leather isn't valuable but many E60's have vile cloth .

There are no E60's in regular scrapyards and so parts are still quite pricey compared to old E39 crap. Genuine E60 M Sport bumpers are more than £100!

There's £2500+ in that if you have time, room and patience to deal with the inevitable idiots. The shell with V5 can be taken for free.

Thanks for the frank advice :)

Annoyingly - there aren't any copart auctions here in Wales - there must be an alternative however?

How can I tell if my bumpers are genuine? 

I guess I just need to hear from the insurance company now on the offer they will make both total loss and inc by back.

Is it likely id find a private buyer if I advertise it just as salvage? 

Andy

I hope you are ok. That's the main thing, the car did its job by taking the impact and saving the occupants.

I would love to strip it and sell the parts to keep other BMWs on the road but you have to factor in your time and your wife and neighbours disapproving comments about a crashed shell languishing in your driveway.

I would let the insurance company tow it away. But I don't have the time to tinker with cars to strip and sell the bits. :(

Don't let the insurance company take it away until you've been paid. If you can buy it back for 500 quid, you'll make a profit. A grand is too much really, I wouldn't pay more than £750.

That will be a category S (structural) write off as well. It could still be repaired - a push on the B post if needed, two clean black secondhand doors (£150 max), a skim of P40 on that back wing and away you go. It wouldn't be perfect but it would look okay and would make a couple of grand. Because it's a 530d, it won't get scrapped - that will be repaired and back on the road.

Fair enough, maybe I should be looking at that as an option also....

I might be looking for more guidance if I need it.

Is it worth thinking to put it on ebay as salvage?

OK continuing on.... they came back with an offensive offer, which i refused.

They have come back now with 2k, which im still pretty unhappy with, since there is still excess to pay, and then i've not broached the buyback yet.

Anyone else got any advice how i should play it?

Feeling pretty low right now :/

Try and find as many examples of cars similar to yours for sale for more than that, and forward these to your insurer, along with a list and valuation of all the things you have done which enhance the value.

If the other driver is at fault, you will be able to recover your excess from them.

Chin up mate.  I would be down in the dumps too, but you are OK, and you'll get past this.

As Calypso says, you may have to spend a little time searching like for like examples of your car on sale for the price you want to attain.  Copy these and forward them to whoever is doing your assessment.  What you will probably find is that it is an outside firm of assessors being used who don't check the spec of cars at all, just the year and model.    After speaking to them directly it became very evident to me that they didn't know their arse from their elbow in this respect.  The younger ones are 'insurance men' with a mild knowledge of cars who are charged with offering you as little as possible.

I had this experience a few years ago when her indoors had the car written off with the other driver taking responsibility.  With no great guidance from our own insurers, we claimed through them.  I now know that in an accident such as this, it should have been directly with the other partys insurance.  It does away with the access charges although you will eventually get them back.  I fought these assessors tooth and nail reference their offer price which was literally an insult. Finally I approached the insurance company themselves with what I considered to be an acceptable amount and they agreed it right away.

I know at the time I paid way over the odds at £4000 for this totally mint low mileage one owner 2005 Mercedes C Class, But they offered me  £1800.  We had it nearly a year and settled for £2800.   If you dont need the funds in a hurry, fight on. By the way the missus came out with only a few bumps, scratches and bruises, mainly from the airbags.

IMG_20151015_105355.jpg

Calypso, You are of course right.

At the end of the day, really, I have too many outgoings (read children) to run a 5 series, but i was living the dream for a while. 

It was old, and because of that the balance swung to more cost over the 9 months in maintenance, than the purchase price, and of course that means that I have lost out due to the way they value cars (laughable Glass index or some such joke). 

I managed to push them up to £2200, and that has taken me all morning on and off. Still have the excess as they are still fighting each other over liability.

So after excess I get 1900 or something, and the buy back is £176. So 1600 ish in the bank. 

Now I need to decide whether im salvaging it to auction, using it on scrappage scheme this week whilst I can, or breaking it....

4 hours ago, Abbadon said:

Calypso, You are of course right.

At the end of the day, really, I have too many outgoings (read children) to run a 5 series, but i was living the dream for a while. 

It was old, and because of that the balance swung to more cost over the 9 months in maintenance, than the purchase price, and of course that means that I have lost out due to the way they value cars (laughable Glass index or some such joke). 

I managed to push them up to £2200, and that has taken me all morning on and off. Still have the excess as they are still fighting each other over liability.

So after excess I get 1900 or something, and the buy back is £176. So 1600 ish in the bank. 

Now I need to decide whether im salvaging it to auction, using it on scrappage scheme this week whilst I can, or breaking it....

Do what you can to get the most out of it once you've bought it back and get an E39 ;) 

Plenty of them around for c£2-£3k; but same with E60s as well

Don't tell yourself you can't afford to run another; because you have been already and you can again!

9 hours ago, Abbadon said:

I'd bite their arm off for that. Stick it on Autotrader for £995 and take £750.

Don't take anything off yet.

I had a written off bike but wanted to take the engine out (1300 hayabusa) to sell to a kit car enthusiast or maybe try and get a frame from a kit car person who bought the bike for the engine and make a running model.

In the end i couldn't buy it back and salvage company said they weren't going to give me the agreed price as it looked like bits were missing, or i had swapped the engine out

Its ok,  ive bought it back, the money from settlement is in my bank, and car and keys and paperwork never left my possession.

So on that front i'm safe.

That's good..

One of my previous bikes i got knocked off but was still ridable and it was written off. I bought that back for about £500 and got £900 as a trade in for a new bike