phaylock

Best courtesy car ever!

3 hours ago, dandle said:

Nice.

The drivers seat leather already looks stretched though. Whats the mileage on it?

Prob just the way photo is taken. Only 1500 miles. 

2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Nice car, but christ they are pricey. Easily 60k list with a few options - there's one on bmw auc site that i reckon was 77k with the options. Now being sold for 43....

Yep. Agreement I had to sign had price for this one of 53k. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. 

Christ it's quick though. My first drive of an xdrive car as well and the handling is epic. 

18 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Nice car, but christ they are pricey. Easily 60k list with a few options - there's one on bmw auc site that i reckon was 77k with the options. Now being sold for 43....

Oh come on no one would have paid 77k list for it. Like my 640 77k list, 2,000 miles on the clock when I bought it (now just over 36k) was down to 45....

44 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

Oh come on no one would have paid 77k list for it. Like my 640 77k list, 2,000 miles on the clock when I bought it (now just over 36k) was down to 45....

I didnt say someone had paid that, just thats what the list price would have been with all those options. 

The depreciation on 6ers is even more terrifying..

10 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Define epic!? It cant be that different? 

Possibly slightly less fun but much more planted. Childish I know but I quite enjoy kicking the ass out of mine on wet roundabouts and the like. I took this one out for a short blast last night with very slippy roads (light rain after a dry day) and try as I might the back end would not go out and it sustained some serious sideways force in the corners on some of the a roads near me. 

I can't think I've had the tail out other than the once in my F10. Its planted.

Tail out regularly in the E60 esp in the wet but not the F10.

The xdrive will split it something like 60:40 to the rear that will help keep the G30 on the right track.

How do people drive? I've never had the arse out on the e39. Yes m3 and m535 but only under provocation. Never by accident.  

16 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

How do people drive? I've never had the arse out on the e39. Yes m3 and m535 but only under provocation. Never by accident.  

I have only had it out once by accident and that was in the early winter last year and a patch of black ice I think. Don't get me wrong, I think the rwd f10 is extremely planted and handles beautifully. It does require a good bit of provocative hooliganism to get the back end out. The xdrive g30 just feels more planted and I could not provoke a slide last night under the same conditions. 

12 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Maybe I'm just a girl :rolleyes:

You said it. ;)

When I have got the tail out in all my rwd cars it's been in wet/greasy conditions and I've know as soon as I pressed the throttle that it was with too much right foot for the conditions so you are poised ready to correct, like sshooie says, with the traction on to help you reign it in. Except the Sennie which didn't have traction control....

Edited by 535i Andrew

Once or twice.....do occasionally get the odd chirp out of my rear 275's now they down to 3mm. They won't be on much longer before anyone asks as there is a noticeable difference from when they have the full 7mm (yes Dunlop are snide on tread depth!). You could hammer it out of a roundabout without issue at full tread depth. 

^ +1 on that. 

My winters which are sub 3mm when I took them off would regularly remind me of that fact when pulling away sharply. Spin them up easily enough but not necessarily enough for it to wiggle its hips though. 

Getting a normal G30 (non Xdrive) to slip away from the back is hard enough, the only time mines lost the back end was on snow - but that doesn't count especially on summer tyres. 

A 275mm wide tyre does its job really well. 

Must admit on the Bridgestone turanza tyre that was factory fit, the back end even on my 520d was not great, the Pirellis I have now are brilliant. 

A lot to be said for the rubber shoes we have on. 

Edited by McFar67

So I handed the car back on Thursday night and collected my very shiny and spotlessly clean 149000 mile f10 530d. Some comparisons with the 1700 mile 540i xdrive will be obvious here and others maybe less so. My car is an SE on 18inch wheels and the 540 was an msport on 19s. In terms of ride quality, the 540 was good but noticeably harder as you would expect. My car also has adaptive dampers so this also helps. Whilst far from objectionable, the 540 was not as comfortable and I definitely noticed bumps and potholes more. This is probably in large part due to the state of our roads but I'll not go there! Noise and general refinement are on a par with the f10 I would say. I find the f10 to be very well built and a very refined car anyway. Even after 150k miles!

Interior wise, the 540i was high spec with a leather dash and high grade leather. Layout of everything was instantly familiar and not massively different. Jumping straight back into the f10 there were some differences. I would say the g30 is a bit more roomy inside but not quite as cosseting as the f10. I find the cabin on the f10 exceptionally good and feels I suppose a bit like a cockpit in terms of how close eveything is. I prefer the idrive screen being part of the dash in the f10 as opposed to the seperate screen on top of the dash in the g30. That being said, the idrive in the g30 is streets ahead of mine. I have CIC in mine and not NBT but it also seems a big step up from the NBT in my mates 2014 335d. All easy to access and noticeably hidef screen. The instruments on the g30 are also excpetional. All TFT and very modern. 

The biggest test was obviouslt the engine in the 540i. What a weapon! The 530d is hardly a slouch with a lovely fat slug of torque across the majority of the rev range but there really is no comparison. The max torque from the 540 is there virtually from tickover and the power builds in a very linear and predictable way all the way to the 7k rpm redline. God is it fast! Especially at national speed limit speeds. It would be very easy to get into a lot of trouble with this car and I think there would be very little on the roads which would see which way it went. I never got tired of planting it and listening to the noise. Fuel consumption wasn't great but then I was hardly driving sympathetically!

Overall, seriously impressed with the car and a worthy upgrade to what i think is already a superb machine. Would I pay 60k for one? No even if I was in a position to do so but I would consider a used one in a few years. I would love to try the new 530d actually to see how that compares. 

Hope this is useful to those that requested a review. Happy to answer any other questions.