Essex boy

Anyone bought a car abroad and driven home?

I’ve put this in general discussion hoping all will see it. 

Im going to purchase,  hopefully my next m5 in Sweden in just over a week. The first insurance company I called, Adrian flux, said I’d have to insure the In Sweden then tell them when I expect to board a ferry and they will insure it from there??  The guy was young and probably inexperienced. 

Has anyone else done what I’m hoping to do? Any help gratefully received 

cheers 

Rob

He's right

Unless it's a UK registered car; you cannot insure it with a UK insurance company

Not really sure how you'll get around this one, unless you know someone who has trade insurance (and it covers this scenario) or you trailer it back etc... 

Bought my current daily from Germany. Had a transport company ship it over and then paperwork and insurance sorted upon receipt.

C.

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

He's right

Unless it's a UK registered car; you cannot insure it with a UK insurance company

Not really sure how you'll get around this one, unless you know someone who has trade insurance (and it covers this scenario) or you trailer it back etc... 

You have a point I could ask my brother, I'm sure he has trade insurance!!

It's worth a punt, cheers

I was looking into this a few years ago. Bringing a car back from Germany was easy enough then as you could purchase plates / insurance but I ended up getting an Austrian car so road tripped a car transporter from c & s recovery in north London.

Back in blighty, Sky Insurance in Enfield insured it based on the vin number so I could get it mot’ed

5 hours ago, stevenc3828 said:

I was looking into this a few years ago. Bringing a car back from Germany was easy enough then as you could purchase plates / insurance but I ended up getting an Austrian car so road tripped a car transporter from c & s recovery in north London.

Back in blighty, Sky Insurance in Enfield insured it based on the vin number so I could get it mot’ed

Cheers for that steven its worth a punt

16 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

He's right

You absolutely can insure with a UK insurance company. I just brought an Audi TT over from Jersey and Adrian Flux insured it based on the VIN.

We can get into the road legal aspect but certainly you can get it insured.

Interesting: I follow a channel on YouTube where one guy bought a car in Romania and drove it back to the UK . Wonder how he did it?

Would Pepipoo be able to provide an answer, or maybe Pistonheads?

15 minutes ago, inkiboo said:

You absolutely can insure with a UK insurance company. I just brought an Audi TT over from Jersey and Adrian Flux insured it based on the VIN.

We can get into the road legal aspect but certainly you can get it insured.

Might be down to that individual insurer then; but I've tried this before and was told until that car was registered in the UK, it couldn't be insured by a UK insurance company

However, Jersey is part of the UK; Sweden (or wherever in Scandinavia @Essex boy is looking to buy from, isn't). So this could be a factor also!

Edited by d_a_n1979

22 minutes ago, inkiboo said:

Jersey is not part of the UK and is not part of the EU either. I think the OP just got the wrong person at Adrian Flux as I did this on Wednesday!

Aye sorry; it's a crown dependancy isn't it?

I still do believe that this is all down to the insurer; I know a couple of folk that wanted to bring a car they've seen abroad into the UK and were told the same as I was, it's not UK registered, so they won't insure it etc

Maybe the OP needs to speak to AF again and get someone with more knowledge on this

After 4 hours solid on the phone I managed to find a company that said “that’s no problem that’s what we do”

they even mirrored my insurance from the truck to use my no claims discount, covered for a year without silly costs and comprehensive cover whilst in Sweden!!

they are called sky insurance, the guy was a diamond. He insured it under the vin,and said it’s all done! Quite reasonable too 

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Might be down to that individual insurer then; but I've tried this before and was told until that car was registered in the UK, it couldn't be insured by a UK insurance company

However, Jersey is part of the UK; Sweden (or wherever in Scandinavia @Essex boy is looking to buy from, isn't). So this could be a factor also!

I think Sweden is in the eu? 

2 minutes ago, Essex boy said:

After 4 hours solid on the phone I managed to find a company that said “that’s no problem that’s what we do”

they even mirrored my insurance from the truck to use my no claims discount, covered for a year without silly costs and comprehensive cover whilst in Sweden!!

they are called sky insurance, the guy was a diamond. He insured it under the vin,and said it’s all done! Quite reasonable too 

Brilliant! 

Now go and collect it, take stupid amounts of hi res photos and stick em on here in your own project ;):mrgreen: 

15 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Brilliant! 

Now go and collect it, take stupid amounts of hi res photos and stick em on here in your own project ;):mrgreen: 

The plan is to go over on the 25th, would have been sooner but I was waiting on my passport.....it’s a lifetime away having to wait....bit hopefully worth it!! 

Definitely will get lots of pics!! 

5 hours ago, R44M BM said:

Not long to go! looking forward to this one! :-D

I am really looking forward to it, I keep inspecting the videos I have of the car,  although the Mrs told me the real reason she has never been abroad is that she doesn’t want to fly..... this should be fun 

im thinking diazepam ;-)

It is everything I want. The colour and condition is stunning. The individual audio is great for when you’re not listening to that gorgeous rumble!! 

She performed well so far, just done 500 miles after being stood for over 18 months.