B7oony

DPF removal and MOT

Morning all,  just joined the forum as looking to get back into a BMW after a few years away.

ive been looking at 4.6/4.8 X5’s and also the 535d msport.

i like big power cars (last one was a E39 M5) so have read about the stage 2 remaps. I’ve spotted a few for sale with this already done along with swirl flaps, egr and  dpf removed. 

My question is especially with the dpf removed, how is this effecting things when it comes to MOT’s with all the new rules in place?

cheers, mike.

Any visible smoke is a straight fail on a car that should have a dpf, simple as that. 

Ive been looking at 535d’s also, and a couple I’ve seen have been missing the dpf, but few traders are realising the significance of this currently and aren’t willing to adjust prices accordingly. 

As I understand it, under the old rules it was not illegal to remove a DPF from a vehicle, but if you subsequently drove said vehicle on a public road you were breaking the law. The Government is intent on tightening the rules to prevent removal or gutting, so I doubt the new rules will have made things easier - and the DPF is there for a reason. I considered getting mine removed if it blocked but would not now do so.

45 minutes ago, B7oony said:

Is the dpf costly to have reinstalled? Could be a good wee bargaining tool

Depends on the model in question, and you would also need to get the map adjusted to ensure the DPF regen does take place

8 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

As I understand it, under the old rules it was not illegal to remove a DPF from a vehicle, but if you subsequently drove said vehicle on a public road you were breaking the law. 

Correct.

I would have thought if there was any doubt about a DPF being not there in a 2nd hand car then the price should be lowered accordingly. 

If the dealers took in a gutted car prior to the new rules and have yet to shift it, that's their profit margin gone straight away.