GBS

530i and Euro Emission Standard

There are plans to introduce a Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) in London and I'm in the process of buying a E39 530i. 

I'm quite skeptical of using some online tools in which you enter a reg and it tells you which Euro Emission Standard it meets, but looking at the official ULEZ website (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez) most 530i are not subject to the surcharge. However they have a disclaimer saying information may not be accurate.

Does anyone know for sure what Euro Emission Standard a 530i meets?

Can anyone who has a 530i check the V5C document under section 'V' to see what the CO/THC/NOX numbers are so I can compare it to the actual standards here:https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/euro-emissions-standards/

Thanks

Pulled this from the gov website, link here.

Even though it states it's Euro Standard 3 it seems it still meets the Euro Standard 6 specification based on the numbers.

From Gov website about 2003 530i:

image.png.2de9a366010dce6f22969a0c3ee2b248.png

Euro 6 Standard (these are maximum values):

• CO – 1.0 g/km
  • HC – 0.10 g/km
  • NOx – 0.06 g/km
  • PM – 0.005 g/km (direct injection only)
  • PM – 6.0x10 ^11/km (direct injection only)
Edited by GBS

I plugged my reg number into the online checker, and my car is exempt. I also plugged in the reg number of an 2000 E39 that was for sale here, and it was exempt as well. Euro 3 was the standard in force at the time our cars were made, but it seems that they meet today's Euro 6 standard as well, although I think for petrol cars all that is required for exemption is to meet Euro 4 stats.

2 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I plugged my reg number into the online checker, and my car is exempt. I also plugged in the reg number of an 2000 E39 that was for sale here, and it was exempt as well. Euro 3 was the standard in force at the time our cars were made, but it seems that they meet today's Euro 6 standard as well, although I think for petrol cars all that is required for exemption is to meet Euro 4 stats.

Yep most 530i's I've inputted have been exempt, however a few haven't. E.G 530i SE with reg X151DNA.

Good to know the 530i's meet the Euro 6 standard, just in case the rules become MORE stringent!

1 hour ago, GBS said:

Yep most 530i's I've inputted have been exempt, however a few haven't. E.G 530i SE with reg X151DNA.

Good to know the 530i's meet the Euro 6 standard, just in case the rules become MORE stringent!

Odd that some meet it and others don't. 

Hi,

I've a feeling that as these and other cars are older, then when doing an MOT test, the amount of measured output of harmful emissions will be tested and that figure used to calculate/check where on the scale for inclusion or exclusion from the ULEZ the car will be. Keep the car fantastically well maintained, and there's an increased chance it'll be exempt, don't maintain it and it chucks out more emissions, then expect to be included in the ULEZ zone and be subject to the charge IF you decide to ever drive in. 

That all said, then yes, the government will probably just make the criteria for being excluded from the ULEZ harder !

Cheers, Dennis!

There's no way individual car's test results will be used to determine exemption (or not) - the computer systems behind the scenes will check whatever record DVLA hold for the vehicle

It's a difficult one as obviously the standards and tests for E39s are 15 years behind the latest regs - I can see all sorts of anomalies as DVLA data isn't as accurate as you'd think in many cases

Well I put my reg number into the checker today, and it says that the charge DOES apply to my car. When I did that earlier in the year it said I was exempt. I wish I'd kept a screenshot of that. However the is a facility to challenge it by uploading your V5 document, so I will do exactly that. When I ran the checker earlier in the year I had to input some information from the V5, so I suspect once I send them the copy I may be exempt once again.

Edited by Tuvoc

19 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Well I put my reg number into the checker today, and it says that the charge DOES apply to my car. When I did that earlier in the year it said I was exempt. I wish I'd kept a screenshot of that. However the is a facility to challenge it by uploading your V5 document, so I will do exactly that. When I ran the checker earlier in the year I had to input some information from the V5, so I suspect once I send them the copy I may be exempt once again.

Yep that is indeed the case, I'm currently in the process of doing it with my dad's Jag. You screenshot the entire V5C document, but they look at Section 'V'. You can compare the section V numbers with the Euro 4 standard to see if it's within the limits.

Yes - just submitted the V5. The emission numbers are so far below Euro 4 it is laughable. Laughable that is that they think it is subject to the charge. It actuaklly meets Euro 6 petrol standards.

The checker must now be a blunt instrument - simply goes by the date of first registration. Imagine the amount of people who don't know any better who will pay the charge when they shouldn't be.

Edited by Tuvoc

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes - just submitted the V5. The emission numbers are so far below Euro 4 it is laughable. Laughable that is that they think it is subject to the charge. It actuaklly meets Euro 6 petrol standards.

The checker must now be a blunt instrument - simply goes by the date of first registration. Imagine the amount of people who don't know any better who will pay the charge when they shouldn't be.

These are my thoughts exactly, the amount of people that will pay because the checker says so, also the amount of people who sell their cars thinking they are subject to these charges!!

21 minutes ago, RockyBalboa-UK said:

I woner if the 540i meets the standards?

Based on the gov website for emission figures (double check with your V5C document in section V), 540i should be subject to the ULEZ charge as the HC & NOX figures are above Euro 4 Petrol standards. However chucking in some some 540i reg plate into the ULEZ checker they are not subject to ULEZ. Either way it's a shoddy tool and the only correct way is to compare your V5C directly with Euro Emission Standards.

Edited by GBS

Ha !

Thank you for your enquiry received on 19 June 2018 regarding the ULEZ.
Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle, registration xxxxx, meets the Ultra
Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards. This means you will not need to pay an ULEZ charge to travel in the
zone, from 8 April 2019.
The vehicle compliance database will be updated to reflect the correct details of your vehicle, before the scheme
commences.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Ha !

Thank you for your enquiry received on 19 June 2018 regarding the ULEZ.
Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle, registration xxxxx, meets the Ultra
Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards. This means you will not need to pay an ULEZ charge to travel in the
zone, from 8 April 2019.
The vehicle compliance database will be updated to reflect the correct details of your vehicle, before the scheme
commences.

Just got the same thing for my dad's Jag. However I'm trying to do the same with a Japanese Import E39 which has no emission data on the V5C....not so easy!

17 hours ago, GBS said:

Just got the same thing for my dad's Jag. However I'm trying to do the same with a Japanese Import E39 which has no emission data on the V5C....not so easy!

If you get anywhere with that it will be a miracle.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

If you get anywhere with that it will be a miracle.

I'm finding that out the hard way, seems like I'd need a written signed statement from BMW Japan and that's the only piece of evidence TFL will accept. It's a shame because I found the perfect E39 after 6 months of searching and it might be all in vain thanks to ULEZ :)

I'll update this thread if I do get anywhere for any future buyers :D