Dakota

Android and Spotify?

2014 LCI no EBT.

Can anyone tell me if you can connect an Android phone in such a way as to get Spotify onto the iDrive?

A BMW Y-cable has been mentioned but do these work with Android (micro USB)?

Currently only AUX is the only way I can play Spotify.

If nothing works my last ditch option is to use an old Apple device and just leave it in the car to stream music, far from ideal!

could you not get one of those cheap eBay or other bluetooth receivers which plug in to the aux and give a universal bluetooth portal to any phone. They work quite well and i've seen them working with android using youtube, spotify and other apps. Just ensure you get one which has a forward/backward button and built in mic as you don't want to be handling your phone while driving. 

9 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Ever used google or forum search?

Yes, but was hoping for first hand, helpful advice from F10 owners. I've googled and spoken to 2 BMW dealer gurus who gave me contradictory advise. If was any the wiser I wouldn't be asking.

They haven't a clue as they usually end up talking about the more recent models that have full BMW Apps, and even then its not reliable. Not worth asking them or the BMW Social media team.

For your year you need an old iPhone to use Spotty.

And then there's the Spotify thread with similar moans/pleas... the flagged answer is also BS.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Android-Fix-Spotify-for-BMW-ConnectedDrive-Android-not-just-the/idi-p/1463870

Edited by SuperDave

Thanks for that, kind of what I feared.  One of the specific questions I had for the salesman prior to purchase was can I stream wirelessly. Yes he said. Not can I not do that at all but now I need a freaking iPhone!

For the iPhone I assume the need the Y cable?

I've always used a standard apple usb/lightning cable never a Y . Should just need BMW Connected Drive and Spotify app and you'll get it controlled/displayed via iDrive with that and its all digital so better SQ.

Edited by SuperDave

If it helps, I am almost certain you can have extended BT coded in. I have this and use a samsung galaxy s7 with Spotify in the car all the time. Works an absolute charm with all tag information etc. showing on iDrive screen and in cluster. Sound quality very good as well. 

8 hours ago, phaylock said:

If it helps, I am almost certain you can have extended BT coded in. I have this and use a samsung galaxy s7 with Spotify in the car all the time. Works an absolute charm with all tag information etc. showing on iDrive screen and in cluster. Sound quality very good as well. 

Had no idea about that, just googled it and seems like it may be possible in my car. Any ideas who can do this coding?

Thanks for all the advice on this, a bit of a head wrecker!  

So it looks like I have three options:

1: Get an iPhone and stream via a USB cable.  Will be able to control via iDrive.

2: Get EBT coded in for wireless use – but will this recognise my Android or do I still need an Apple to get full functionaltiy?  

3: Get a Stream2air type device that sits in the centre armrest. No idea of Spotify can be controlled by iDrive.

I really want to be able to control Spotify from the iDrive or steering wheel controls, not sure which of the above options does this best.

Option 2 will only allow you to change tracks (fwd or back) and with mine (S7 and EBT) I don't even see album art, just the track name from Spotify. You'll end up wanting to press buttons on your phone which you can't do while driving...

Option 1 is vastly preferable and will sound better and works well.

Edit, just had a play with an iphone SE via bluetooth on mine with EBT using Spotify. You can see track, album art and artist but album/playlist navigation is horrible compared to Spotify via USB. All i can see are default iTunes playlists, mine aren't there at all. 

Edited by SuperDave
EBT edit