The Flying Banana

Air Suspension - Arnott vs Aerosus

I replaced a rear susp bag on the E39 in Holland and it was an Arnott Bag ..came with new circlip ....my right side needs done and I was going to order 2 Aerosus  bags ( and keep Arnott as an spare )  ... has anyone any experience of replacing an Arnott bag and knows if the circlip is just universal and will fit a different manufacturer ( aerosus don't come with clips )

haha .. yes .. you would think however my reasoning is Arnott supply one air bag that does SE and Sport .. they say the levellers etc will dictate the correct height but Aerosus which were recommended have two different bags .. the Sport one being slightly shorter so I am keen to keep the car right so will replace the two and keep the Arnott as an emergency bag

I think the Arnott bag is OK as it did sit at correct height despite the other side being OEM Sport bag...but I like things to match :)

Edited by The Flying Banana

Do you mean the metal clips on the top that hold the studs in? I haven’t had Arnott bags but I just re-used the original clips when I fitted the two new Aerosus bags for our Sport, if you’re worried just get some new clips from BMW first. 

They fit very well. 

6 hours ago, The Flying Banana said:

its the actual circlip that holds the air valve onto the bag itself ..will soon find out as I ordered 2 to replace mine :) 

Oh, the plastic clip in the brass fitting? I fitted new accumulators (from BMW) the clips come with them. Again the proper parts fit on ok. It can be a little tricky to get that fitting pushed down far enough for those clips to engage, I had to take the bolt out of the bottom & wedge the new bag up so it was square on the first fitting,  they were fine after that. 

If you are using the old accumulators check inside the brass fitting, my old air bags had rusted on the end & made a mess of the brass in the fitting. 

I still had loads of problems with the other side going down over time after. After lots of swapping of parts & putting air compressor fittings in I’m fairly sure its the valve block, I have a new one to try when the rest of the car is back together.

It’s annoying as that was the good side that had no problems before I decided both air bags & accumulators should really be replaced! 

2 hours ago, TeddyRuxpin said:

Happy with the ride? Mine will need doing before winter, I think!

It seems exactly the same as it was with the original sports bags when I fitted mine, so yes! 

I did actually have one fail minutes after putting the car back on the ground, it was the steel top where its pressed into shape, but I think that was a one off the other & the replacement were fine, they do make you pay for all the postage costs for the return though :(

In the end I had to fit their valve block too that seems fine. 

For fitting it eventually occurred to me to stick the compressors blow gun into the air fitting at the top to inflate the bag up so you can get the retaining clips in easily. 

Edited by Andyrt200

3 hours ago, TeddyRuxpin said:

Happy with the ride? Mine will need doing before winter, I think!

If that is about AEROSUS bags then defo .. what a difference new bags make ..

as for fitting ..I just placed it in place with one hand and guided into the hole and leaned round and popped a retaining clip on then the brass fitting .. longest bit was jacking up and taking wheel off :)