stu08

SMG Paddles on Preface Single Stage Airbag Sport Steering Wheel

Good morning all,

As title states.

Can I retrofit the SMG paddles on a preface sports steering wheel with the single stage airbag? On my previous E39's (mostly facelifts) I was planning on buying an E46 M3 SMG steering wheel and fitting it (due to it being pretty much a straight swap). As far as I'm aware it isn't straightforward to fit a facelift steering wheel to a preface car.

Therefore my next option is to see if I can buy the paddles from somewhere and have them fitted to my existing sport steering wheel.

Thanks for any advice.

Stu

I have seen a guide where someone retrofitted Mercedes paddle shifters. From memory I think they used a slip ring from an e38 with a heated wheel to get the extra connections for the paddles.  

Edit, it was on here, unfortunately the pictures are gone but it gives you an idea of what to do; 

I see that he actually used an e46 m3 smg slipring but I have definitely seen guides where an e38 one was used.

Edited by NWJW

Hi,

Similar to NWJW, I vaguely recall modifying a pre-facelift E39 steering wheel for Merc/AMG paddles and somehow connecting to the car's electrics to make them work but I can't remember exactly where. 

I do have this link though, it's for the Merc/AMG paddles modification but shows a stage 2 pre-facelift facelift Sport steering wheel ;

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/610491

I think some more delving around and research will be needed to see if it can and does work for a pre-facelift Sport wheel. 

I do know that you can put on a facelift steering wheel and airbag onto a pre-facelift E39. One 'stage' of the airbag is connected and will work, the other stage won't. If you went this route, you wouldn't have to modify the steering wheel. This option I think would be the easier to do, but depends on how much you'd want to have both stages of the airbag working. If you do want full functionality, then you'd need to retrofit the entire airbag system, bags, sensors, wiring, steering column and locks from a facelift E39 into your Pre-facelift. 

Cheers, Dennis!

I'm actually slightly confused by my car. It was built in 12/1998. It is a 535i and has the 245 PS engine, not the earlier 235/241 PS engines which I thought all preface 535i's had. 

I'm wondering if mine has the later engine, could it have the later steering wheel too? 

Thanks for the two links and all the information, I will definitely go down that route if my car does have the single stage system. 

This is my first post. I signed up as I found this topic through googling on E38/E39 paddle shift. But lookup "MParallel" and you will find me on all big BMW forums. 

Anyways, 

Just wanted to say, no need to investigate any further. It can be done to a single stage >3/99 wheel without any problem.

There is only one 'trick' to it, and that is the use of a slipring off a heated E38 steering wheel. This will give you the 2 extra contacts needed for the up and down shifts. 

This and the double carbon contact that you fit to the steering column to connect the slipring to the car's side.

On old the installs I find online, people seem to all use AMG shifters, which I never understood. I like keeping thing as OEM or OEM+ as possible and BMW has plenty of paddle shifters that I don't see why you would need AMG paddles.

Some pics from the internet

687474703a2f2f7777772e62696d6d6572626f61

687474703a2f2f7777772e62696d6d6572626f61

And since this works perfectly on PFL steering wheels off an E38/E39, meant I could implement this mod on my E36 M3 SMG, which uses the PFL slipring as its later model slipring.

And I uses original  BMW paddles that perfectly match the stock SMG shifter. And yes, all MFL buttons work as well.

01.jpg

If you didn't know, you would think it's factory.

21-09_01.jpg

21-09_02.jpg

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that up - really appreciated. 

Do you know the part number for the slip ring, or if there is a way for me to visibly see the difference between heated and non heated versions? 

P/N is 32.34.1.094.262

It’s easy to distinguish from non-heated. On the pics I posted you see these two round copper traces on the back of the slipring.

The non-heated version doesn’t have these copper traces at all.

In my previous post, I messed up the smaller than sign. Should of course be <3/99.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:41 AM, MParallel said:

P/N is 32.34.1.094.262

It’s easy to distinguish from non-heated. On the pics I posted you see these two round copper traces on the back of the slipring.

The non-heated version doesn’t have these copper traces at all.

In my previous post, I messed up the smaller than sign. Should of course be <3/99.

Thanks for the photo. 

Just checking, the photos linked are from a heated steering wheel install. Do you know how the the paddles connect to the copper pins shown on the back of the slip ring? 

I've also searched for e38 heated slip rings and they don't appear to have those two pins present as shown. Just checking, is the part number correct? 

Appreciate your help. 

On 9/28/2018 at 2:00 PM, stu08 said:

Thanks for the photo. 

Just checking, the photos linked are from a heated steering wheel install. Do you know how the the paddles connect to the copper pins shown on the back of the slip ring? 

I've also searched for e38 heated slip rings and they don't appear to have those two pins present as shown. Just checking, is the part number correct? 

Appreciate your help. 

Yes 100% correct. Type it in Google without the dots and it'll return plenty of pics. One of them is this:

112371_x800.jpg

In the bottom left corner you can see the two copper tabs. This is the inside part of the slipring, which you see when the airbag is off. So  that is where the up and down shift signals connect to. The second wire on each paddle, you both connect the the same ground point for the horn (the one under that tiny torx screw.

When you fit it, you'll also understand the 'funny' shaped hole in the steering wheel. That extra space is where these two copper tabs locate.

24_1_c4b1809c-7e67-44b4-8c30-e29984118e8

Edited by MParallel