plenty

Cost to repair jacking points

Time to sort my jacking points.  All four need new metal welded in.

I’ve been quoted £1.6k-£2k by my usual bodyshop located just outside the M25.  Keen for any feedback as to if that’s a reasonable price.

I would suggest you go and see a welder/ fabricator ,they will be a lots cheaper than the body shop.

Depending on how advanced the rot is that will affect the price, it is generally not just the jack points but surrounding sills and arch closures and areas hidden next to fuel tank tend to get affected as well.

Post some pictures if u can it will help 

As I said above, by the looks of things you may need welding to areas next to tank and inner arch closure plus sills, and that involves removing the fuel tank to gain access and for safety.

To check that you should also remove the rear arch liners to see how they are looking.

I would still recommend you search locally for a decent welder fabricator and steer clear from body shops as they might not have a decent welding experience and abilities to fabricate and repair such extensive rust damage and obviously they will charge you more

Personally unless it is an M5 i would not spend anything more than 1k max

3 Years ago somebody on this forum spent 700 quid welding his jack points , decent job tho, it was done by a good fabricator welder in Tamworth Staffordshire who sadly migrated to Portugal.

Here is the link 

I would also lift carpets to check for corrosion spreading up the inner sills normally worse in the front bulkhead corners ( bottom of the A posts) 

It's normally around £600 per corner with repairs needed to the inner sills and floor areas and of course replacing the jacking point. 

As others have said; might be worth speaking to a local fabricator to see what they'd quote for the job before using a specific body shop...

However, at that price, I have to ask, is it worth it?

Not sure what E39 you have as you haven't edited your profile to show etc

To re-iterate what others have said, you need to strip all the plastic panels off and have a really good appraisal of the condition of everything.

My old E39 was beginning to rust on the wheel arches, it looked superficial but there was definitely the beginnings of major rot in the rear quarters. My jacking points seemed fine though.

Once you have the full picture then you can make a decision on what'll be involved as you really want to do it all at once if major stripping down, fuel tank removal etc is required

Ive just dropped my tank in preparation for repair. Im tight and feel that 1500 is too much bloody money to spend on a £1200 car. I'm doing the repairs myself! 

That's in the ballpark of what I paid to have my Touring sorted. Exhaust, tank and prop off, then both rear jacking points were completely rebuilt using thicker metal than original.

You might get lucky and find a fabricator that'll do it for less, but the decent bodyshops I talked to were in that area. It was at the MOT failure stage, and as the alternative was breaking the car I didn't have much choice.

6 hours ago, KingOfTheHill said:

That's in the ballpark of what I paid to have my Touring sorted. Exhaust, tank and prop off, then both rear jacking points were completely rebuilt using thicker metal than original.

You might get lucky and find a fabricator that'll do it for less, but the decent bodyshops I talked to were in that area. It was at the MOT failure stage, and as the alternative was breaking the car I didn't have much choice.

I'm looking to get my E39 done also. However, I am slightly concerned that whoever does it may not do a thorough job, and it may come back. Using thicker metal sounds interesting. Who did yours if you don't mind me asking?

It was a place called Car & Truck near Bristol. I'd highly recommend their welding guy who appeared to do a really thorough job, but the paint shop part of the operation wasn't quite as reassuring. 

Here's the NSR in progress showing how much material was removed, and the newly-constructed jacking point support. They put a lot of waxoyl in afterwards too.

IMG_1471.JPG