Evening peeps. I have now owned car for 1 year and I am considering DIY servicing. Car is 61 plate 530d with 150k on the clock and full BMW history up to now. My questions are as follow 

1. Does anyone have a link to the relevant service schedule? I cant find one anywhere online. 

2. Do I need to change the microfilter as well as main oil filter?

3. What oil and grade do people use?

4. Anything else to watch out for if I do decide to routine DIY?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

#1 The idrive tells you what and when to service.  Apart from main engine air filter which is every 2nd oil change, although more frequent is better.  Oil change on a diesel should be no more than 10k miles or every year not what the idrive tells you.  Diesels like regular clean oil to keep things sweet.  I would also do your fuel filter every 2 years.  Brake fluid is every 2 years once the car is 3 years old.

#2 Microfilter is the cabin pollen filter, activated carbon type.  It should get changed every 2 years.

#3 Any oil you want provided it meets the BMW specification of LL04, Long life 04.

#4 Buy genuine parts for critical components like oil filter.  Buy OEM parts for other filters etc.

I plan on doing most of the servicing on my F10 myself, although I may get the next oil change done at BMW, haven't fully decided.

Newtis will give you a good guide on how to do things yourself.  Punch in the last 7 digits of your chassis number and follow the links to what you want to do.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

This will tell you how to change brakes and suspension components too.

Also make sure as a newbie on here to investigate the yellow grommet.

I second what Andrew says above servicing the only thing my own servicing differs due to my low mileage each year, is check cabin filters and change as and when required, and the diesel filter every 34,000 miles, I did just changed my air filter at 18,200 miles but it was not really needed it was still very clean, same as cabin filters, but oil & filter in a diesel engine for me is 10,000miles, and personaly I only use Castrol edge 0W 30 and Mahle filters which is what was in the car new, please note as a example if you buy a genuine BMW oil filter which is in a BMW carboard box, the contents is exactly the same as Mahle filter, because at the BMW factory they use either Mahle or Mann filters anyway they do not manufacture their own filters but are supplied by the two mentioned suppliers and packaged for them in a BMW carboard box, and also Mini is the same as you would expect.

Hi

I notice your car is a 2010 model, and in another post you said it was in for repair due to rusty doors ( i noticed the rather lush courtesy car!)

Is that normal for BMW to honour the anti corosion warranty for so many years, or is that a aprt of the warranty you have?

1 hour ago, Atlastabeema said:

Hi

I notice your car is a 2010 model, and in another post you said it was in for repair due to rusty doors ( i noticed the rather lush courtesy car!)

Is that normal for BMW to honour the anti corosion warranty for so many years, or is that a aprt of the warranty you have?

12 year anti perforation warranty on our BMWs. 

1 hour ago, phaylock said:

The only thing they asked to see was the service history. Mine has full BMW one. May have been more of an issue without this. 

That doesn't sit well with me.

So how does the fact that a local Indy put a BMW oil filter in and then filled it with LL04 oil in any way affect the corrosion on the outside?

Thats a lame excuse to ask to see the servicing record.

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

That doesn't sit well with me.

So how does the fact that a local Indy put a BMW oil filter in and then filled it with LL04 oil in any way affect the corrosion on the outside?

Thats a lame excuse to ask to see the servicing record.

No service history, no claim :sad:

1 minute ago, 535i Andrew said:

I suppose they will see it as if you haven't looked after the oily bits you won't have looked after the shiny painted bits....

Doesn't need to be with BMW as long is it carried out by a VAT registered garage in accordance to schedule. Oil / filter change every 18k-19k miles or 2 years.

Have you asked for labour rates only? The only condition is that the supplied part must be genuine BMW and in original packaging. For example, oil service was £67, microfilter was £25!

Agreed ref the service history, it has no bearing on the corrosion warranty, unless they wanted to see that bmw have been carrying out a corrosion inspection. I'd certainly argue the point. 

I also agree the service history should not be related to corrosion of the paintwork, and as far as BMW own corrosion inspection I would certainly seriously challenge that, I think even any untrained person would be aware and can visibly see corrosion under the paint, I think their only get out of their corrosion warranty would likely be if there had been some previous damage to the bodywork since it left the showroom, but even that could be contested as some new cars are even damaged & repaired before they are sold, and the owner would never know unless it was obvious.

BMW may argue that as part of the their maintenance schedule is a vehicle health check, and during that process they may have found the corrosion earlier. And that an Indy may not have, resulting in the problem being worse by the time you make your claim. It's a good 'out' for them.

Having said that I have yet to hear of one case where the corrosion was highlighted by anyone other than an owner.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:43 AM, Dakota said:

BMW may argue 

They might well but as they missed a couple of sq cms of paint coming off my lower door sill trim it would be rather a hollow argument if they tried it with me. 

Sounds like the repair process is by no means perfect given the bubbling through reported on the other thread.

Anti-perforation is only 6 years now, not clear when this changed.