Sign in to follow this  
d_a_n1979

Exterior trim - wrapped or painted (door strips)

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the faded, now grey, external door strips on my 530i, but wanted to see if anyones had theirs painted or wrapped?

I'm talking about the 3 pieces that run the length of the front wind and doors; should be black, but faded with age and grey/impossible to get back to black, even after being very well cleaned and using the C4 trim restorer stuff!

Have thought about getting them painted, but wondering if this will end up cracking due to their location, or whether to get them professionally vinyl wrapped in a satin black etc

Have found a few new / aftermarket replacement sets on eBay, but looks like they're for the M5 as they've the M badge holes in the front section etc

Hi Dan,

I think for these trim pieces, the vinyl won't stick long term as the surface of the trims has that rougher finish. Painted is the way to go for this. I often get comments that I should paint mine to black, but as your car is black anyway, the difference won't be anywhere as noticeable. The strips on my car have been colour coded white with paint from brand new and they've never cracked in 17+ years;

DSC06866.jpg

If you want the vinyl, then I guess you could prep the pieces so that they're ready to paint, but use the vinyl at that point, more expensive a route but a potential route nonetheless.

Cheers, Dennis!

8 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Dan,

I think for these trim pieces, the vinyl won't stick long term as the surface of the trims has that rougher finish. Painted is the way to go for this. I often get comments that I should paint mine to black, but as your car is black anyway, the difference won't be anywhere as noticeable. The strips on my car have been colour coded white with paint from brand new and they've never cracked in 17+ years;

DSC06866.jpg

If you want the vinyl, then I guess you could prep the pieces so that they're ready to paint, but use the vinyl at that point, more expensive a route but a potential route nonetheless.

Cheers, Dennis!

I remember an episode of wheeler dealers where they did some mazda parts with whats called wet transfer, where a soluble film is put in some sort of liquid and then the parts dipped in it..looked great

Hi Amazighman,

That's called 'Water Transfer' or 'Hydro Dipping'. It's a very thin layer and it is an option I guess, but only if the layer can be a bit thicker so that it'll look smooth. Also, it's usually done when a design or picture/logo is needed, so for a plain black it's a bit pointless and pricier as the parts will need to be removed and sent to be done, then returned and re-fitted. 

Cheers, Dennis!

15 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Amazighman,

That's called 'Water Transfer' or 'Hydro Dipping'. It's a very thin layer and it is an option I guess, but only if the layer can be a bit thicker so that it'll look smooth. Also, it's usually done when a design or picture/logo is needed, so for a plain black it's a bit pointless and pricier as the parts will need to be removed and sent to be done, then returned and re-fitted. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Water transfer thats what i was looking for.

As I remember they first spray the part with a base color and then do the water transfer thing and any design can be printed, like carbon fiber effect or  even plain plack .

Not sure about  durability although on Wheeler dealers they did some on alloys too.