RobM

Wheel Balancing

It's a lot better. Before, between 65-80mph it was bad enough to make you feel quite unsettled. With the sunvisor down, for example, it would flap around like nobodies business.

After Hunter, there's a small speed window where it's quite noticeable, but I can adjust my speed around it much easier.

There's still something not quite right, but the mechanic who used the Hunter is adamant it's not balancing now.

Wheel bearing, prop shaft thrown its balance weight, wear in a splined joint in one of the drive shafts.

Drove an E34 owner daft when he had similar, eventually traced to a worn spline joint on a driveshaft.

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=9636&KW=Prop%2F+problems&PN=1&title=prop-problems

Interesting.  Did they double check the balancing after you noticed the vibration?

On my F10 after replacing the run flats with new Uni Royals, I ended up with a ton of wheel weights.  The hunter balancing dramatically reduced the amount of wheel weights.  The wheels also balanced up significantly better, but there was a very small vibration remaining which seemed to disappear after a while.  Not sure why.

Larger alloys are prone to buckles more especially with run flats fitted.

Your residual vibration could well be a buckled wheel or I guess it could be bushes.

Another guess is that old tyres could very well be 'worn' in to the car (bushes, drivetrain, wheels etc), and it might be that after a bit of wear, the vibration might settle down. 

They did indeed re-check afterwards. I took it for a good drive and then they repeated the process on all four wheels.

I hope it does settle after more miles. I'm using run flats still, which are of course stiffer, so maybe they'll settle with time. Possibly wishful thinking.

I think I'm just going to live with it for a while and see what happens. It's due another service and new brake fluid later this year, so I'll get it checked then if needs be.

2 minutes ago, RobM said:

Falken FK510 runflats. I've used FK453 for a while and they've proven great; a set of rears lasted me 24k miles, but Falken have now replaced them with the FK510. 

At least you didn't fit set of ditch finders.

Enjoy your F10.  I miss mine.:sad:

My next school of thought after wheels is the differential balance weight, it's designed to remove vibration and resonant frequencies. There's a weight on the rear diff - seemingly easy to access so worth checking if it is in place and also try adding some more weight to it and see what happens.

7 hours ago, AndyM said:

My next school of thought after wheels is the differential balance weight, it's designed to remove vibration and resonant frequencies. There's a weight on the rear diff - seemingly easy to access so worth checking if it is in place and also try adding some more weight to it and see what happens.

Is it safe to assume a decent BMW indi will understand a request to check it out? 

I have one locally who are very good for routine maintenance, but I've not tested them with a troubleshooting challenge yet.

Depends on how knowledge they are about the car.

Your tyre pressures are all good?

You have got to think that you have eliminated all on the wheel and tyre front, a buckled rim would show up with loads of weight being needed to rectify it.

So you may need to look elsewhere on the car for the issue. Have you had a recent brake service where new discs were fitted without cleaning the hub face?

Are the brakes worn? 

Suspension all good?

It all seems fine, pressures are good and before the change of tyres it drove really well. It's why I ended up sinking so much time in repeated wheel balances. In fact, aside from a fairly small speed window, it drives great.

5 hours ago, RobM said:

Is it safe to assume a decent BMW indi will understand a request to check it out? 

I have one locally who are very good for routine maintenance, but I've not tested them with a troubleshooting challenge yet.

Honestly I don't know for sure, it was just a thought as along with wheels (and wheel-related things like brake disks) the diff is directly related to road speed and would cause vibrations if it wasn't balanced correctly. My local independent said that prop shaft imbalances are rare and show themselves more under load.

From realoem.com if you put your VIN number in then go to the Rear Axle > Rear Axle Drive section you can see which balance weight you have fitted; part 5 in the diagram below, on my 2014 530d F11 it's 67Hz apparently.

image.thumb.png.274d5dc057a81bb206272754de88849d.png

image.thumb.png.012475432f7f3c8bcdc99c6b3ff6535f.png

18 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Lifetime oil :rolleyes:

Which is 3 years 1 day, 1 day longer than the original manufacturers warranty period.

Thats all BMW are interested in making a car last for now.

3 hours ago, RobM said:

It all seems fine, pressures are good and before the change of tyres it drove really well. It's why I ended up sinking so much time in repeated wheel balances. In fact, aside from a fairly small speed window, it drives great.

old skool trick - Find a desrestricted road and drive for 5-10 minutes, it will iron out all the niggles such as tyre beading, air imbalance etc.

10 hours ago, RobM said:

This has been a really interesting thread for me, as I have had the same problem for a few years.  Actually decided last week to have the dealership take a look and it's booked in for next week.  Not sure if that's a good or bad idea!!

My problem all started when I had a full new set of runflats from my local tyre place and they hunter aligned all wheels as part of that (basic hunter setup not force variation).  After that I got the vibration between 60 and 75 MPH.  My vibration only occurs at certain cambers (does anyone know why this would be?), but it's unsettling.  I finally got fed up with it and booked it in with the dealership.  I presume that the dealership will have the right equipment to put right whatever the local tyre place did?

Will let you know their diagnosis once it's been in.