coolhand9

SE/M Sport Confusion

My 2005 550 is an SE model but from factory seems to have all the M Sport bits, M Sports Package, Suspension, Steering Wheel, Rear Spoiler and Aero Package. It also has Shadow Line and Anthracite Headlining which I believe were standard on the M Sport model.

Wheels were upgraded to Style 172s and seats to Active/Comfort.

Given all this can anyone tell me how my car differs from a full M Sport model and why someone would spec an SE to this level rather than just order an M Sport?

You could spec an SE then add all the MSport options to it. It will still be registered as an SE.

VIN check as above is best, but it's not unknown for the DVLA to have made a mistake.;)

11 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

do a vin check - this will tell you the spec of the car ex factory

https://www.bmwvin.com/

I've done that but it doesn't actually specify SE or M Sport unless there's a bit in German that I don't understand.

8 minutes ago, problemchild said:

What makes you think it’s an SE? 

JJ

Stated on the V5 and on some of the service invoices.

38 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

You could spec an SE then add all the MSport options to it. It will still be registered as an SE. 

Wouldn't that be an expensive way to do it? I have a price list from March 2006 (the 2005 list doesn't quote 550's at all) and the M Sport basic price is only a little over £2,000 more than the SE. I would have thought all the M Sport bits as options would be more than that although wierdly they are not quoted in the price list except the Steering Wheel and the Spoiler (which is showing as not available for SE even though I have one!)

Probably yes, but if it's an SE with MSport stuff nailed to it on the outside it will still be stock SE on the inside without ///M badges on everything inside it.

Isn’t that standard?

i think that’s only where my 525d MSport Business has them.

as stated above, would be an expensive way to do it.

winder if it was registered incorrectly OR was a pre registered 550 SE and when someone wanted a 550 msport the dealer just specced it up rather than ordering a new 550 and having the SE sat around depreciating 

JJ

7 hours ago, coolhand9 said:

The car is mercifully de-badged, so the only badges I have on the whole car are the ///M on the kick plates and the steering wheel.

Sounds like it is an MSport then as I don't think the MSport options that you could spec on an SE included the interior stuff. The only technical differences will be springs and shocks, but a 550i will have different springs and shocks (heavier car) than say a 530i SE or MSport. 

38 minutes ago, problemchild said:

winder if it was registered incorrectly

That isn't beyond the DVLA. Mine is an MSport Auto, but the V5 from the DVLA has it registered as an MSport Turbo Auto.

It's quite possible something odd happened. Vin Decoder confirms it as a UK car and it was UK registered August 2005 but I think it spent the first couple of years in Germany so probably bought by someone in the forces (presumably not a squady at the price it would have been!). The PDI was actually done in Germany July 2006 together with a first service, mileage was 6268. Not sure why it would be PDI'd when it was nearly a year old, in fact from my time working for Mercedes years ago I didn't think German manufacturers did PDI's taking the view that it's German built so it must be ok. It then obviously came to the UK because the next oil change was in Manchester in September 2007 but the mileage had only gone up to 6451. Equally odd was the fact that it was MOT'd at the same time even though it was only two years old. 

Curious to know some of the answers but I guess some things can't be found out so we are left to speculate.

You do get some oddities if the car has been used or specified by a 'special unit' be it army, government use, police, MI5, Universal Exports etc etc.

It might only be registered via DVLA for the first time when it's a few years old.

A 550i could well have been used to whisk about some spook or something. Does it have armour or extra thickness Windows?

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

You do get some oddities if the car has been used or specified by a 'special unit' be it army, government use, police, MI5, Universal Exports etc etc.

It might only be registered via DVLA for the first time when it's a few years old.

A 550i could well have been used to whisk about some spook or something. Does it have armour or extra thickness Windows?

No, all seems to be standard. Can't find any buttons for ejector seats, oil slicks or smoke screens either unfortunately.