KN54ALE

F11 530d DIY front brake pad replacement

Front brake pads are about due for replacement and I’m considering doing them myself. I always used to do maintenance myself but not done a lot since having the BMW. 

Where is the best place to get genuine BMW parts from and what else do I need is it just the pads and wear sensor ( not changed pads with a wear sensor before)

ive had a quick search and looks like resetting the service indicator should be fairly straight forward but just want to know if I’m going to have any other surprises or if it’s a fairly straightforward job. 

Cotswold who are forum sponsor and offer a discount and free P&P. There's a special sub-section for them towards the top of the home page

Also have a look at BMW-Service.co.u, depending upon the age of your car, you may qualify for the value service which is discounted. On some models, it's cheaper to have the work done by BMW than it is to buy the parts so do it yourself. 

Very straightforward job to do, you'll need a piston rewind tool too think, wire brush to clean guides, copper grease to lube them up and usual sundries

If you choose to do this yourself (easy job) here is the instruction set: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-530d-tou_201007/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/GXzw1vh

But as @sanjx says, try the BMW value service, if your car is over 3 years old, the price is £199 for front brake pad replacement. You will need to check that the disc hasn't gone below minimum thickness. If you need discs too the Value price goes up to £449. 

I just replaced discs and pads at the front and pads at the rear on a friends Mini and the price from Cotswold was cheaper than getting them from Eurocarparts with one of their weekend special discounts. And there is no quandary as to what aftermarket brand to buy if the BMW part price is right.

Here's is my E60 front brake diy. 

From reading the newtis link Matthew posted its virtually the same procedure, even down to the tool sizes, unless you have the upgraded disc/braking option which gives you thicker discs (36mm in lieu of 30mm) in which case you will need a 9mm Allen key to loosen the caliper guide bolts. I've not seen a 530d in UK spec with the 36mm thk discs so a 7mm Allen key is what's needed as per my E60 post.

You do not need a caliper piston wind back tool as the piston does not need to be rotated to retract it. You can simply retract the piston by leaving the piston side brake pad fitted and using a large G clap to retract the piston.  I open the bleed screw for this procedure so you don't force fluid the wrong way at too high a pressure and risk flipping a seal but mostly to avoid dust/muck going into the brake lines.

But when I come to do my front brakes I might buy this tool to retract my caliper piston as using a G clamp whilst effective enough is a bit of a crude way to do it.

https://www.drapertools.com/product/38205/1-2inch-Sq-Dr-Piston-Retraction-Tool

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Well I’ve ordered the parts from Cotswold BMW and saved £20 compared to my local dealer. 

Mum hoping to get away with just changing the pads but before I do them can anyone let me k ow what the minimum disk thickness is and what they are when new?

53 minutes ago, KN54ALE said:

can anyone let me k ow what the minimum disk thickness is and what they are when new?

From @Matthew Ashton's previous link, but this is for his F11 I think, put your last 7 digits of your vin in to newtis to be sure.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-530d-tou_201007/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/HNrxVJbf

Minimum thickness is new thickness less 2.4 mm, so if yours are 30mm thick new, min thickness is 27.6mm.

To measure your discs, buy a cheap set of digital calipers £10 from Aldi.

Place two washers between the faces of the caliper, press reset/zero.  Place same washers, one either side of your brake disc and measure the disc thickness.  You need the washers to clear any lip on the disc.

DSCN3789.jpg

Mine are technically o.k. (new 36mm) but I'll just replace them as I'm not hugely happy with the condition of them, when I come to do my pads which are at 2,000 miles to go before they are done.