stu08

Recommended Spacers

Good evening all, 

Chopping and changing my mind about style 69 wheels on my e39. I believe they're:

Front - 18 x 8 ET20 

Rear - 18 x 9 ET24

I'm thinking that if I fit them and get the right stance (not stanced) then they may work for me. I have another set of wheels which I'm holding off ordering, as the rarity of the e39 69's makes me think they're worth a punt. 

My question is - To get the wheels sitting nicely with the arches (the car will be lowered on H&R Coilovers) what size spacers would be recommended front and rear? 

Thanks for any advice. 

Stu 

Hi,

It'll depend on how low your ride height will be, the shape of the correctly sized tyres shoulder as some are rounder others are more square and the look you want, along with if you do roll the arches a little bit for some extra clearance. 

On 19's from the BMW high end tuners like Alpina, AC Schnitzer, Hartge, Breyton and such like, they'd have front offsets of ET15 to ET18 and rear offsets of ET21.5 to ET25 or so. Many owners use 10mm spacers on the fronts and 5mm rear and depending on factors above, 'might' roll the arches. 

The same offsets range will apply to 18's for the most part, you'll need to take into account the above aspects and with some trial and error you'll get it how you want it to look. Don't forget to buy extended wheel bolts if you do use spacers.

Cheers, Dennis!

16 hours ago, stu08 said:

Good evening all, 

Chopping and changing my mind about style 69 wheels on my e39. I believe they're:

Front - 18 x 8 ET20 

Rear - 18 x 9 ET24

I'm thinking that if I fit them and get the right stance (not stanced) then they may work for me. I have another set of wheels which I'm holding off ordering, as the rarity of the e39 69's makes me think they're worth a punt. 

My question is - To get the wheels sitting nicely with the arches (the car will be lowered on H&R Coilovers) what size spacers would be recommended front and rear? 

Thanks for any advice. 

Stu 

You'll be fine with 15mm all round on those alloys and offsets; you may find the rears rub slightly on the inner arch due to undulations or sudden dips in the road; but it'll be the liner that gets rubbed, so it won't cause any real issues. But all depends on how low you're wanting to go; really low, you will get rubbing with more than a 10mm spacer, so arches will probably need to be rolled. But if like me, you're just closing the arch gap; then as said, 15mm spacers should be fine, but you won't know properly until they're fitted and you test the ride height and drive the car etc

My previous 18" alloys were a 20 offset all round and were fine with 15mm spacers on MtecII suspension, then lowered and they were fine too, but only just! Previous 530i was on D2 coilovers and the offsets were the same as your Style 69s, however I was lowered around 40mm all round, so 15mm up front with no issues and a simple 5mm hubcentric shim on the rear

Plus it depends on what tyres you use; OEM sizes of 265/35 rears and 235/40 on front and you'll have a flatter tyre wall and be fine, you could go 255/35 on rear to reduce rubbing more, but the sidewall won't be as straight etc

For making life easy; I'd highly recommend the stud conversion kits Mtec sell on eBay. Means you don't have to faff with longer wheel bolts, plus it's a safer design and great for swapping out spacers etc

I've the 82mm kit on my 530i; so can use up to 15/20mm spacers: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Black-Conversion-Wheel-Studs-82mm-Kit-with-Nuts/371575433483?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=7008856862&hash=item56839f290b:g:aAAAAOSwFqJWnNWU

I'd also recommend these guys for their spacers: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Series-Saloon-E39-1995-2004-1-Pair-of-Hubcentric-15mm-Alloy-Wheel-Spacers/112462948227?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE39&epid=20004388626&hash=item1a2f506783:g:uUYAAOSwXY5ZVmwA

Half the price of all the others and exactly the same quality! Bimecc are great spacers & ones I'd always recommend; but bloody expensive really, so these are more than adequate IMO!

However, Schmiedmann do 7,9,10mm and upwards spacers too; so they might be worth looking into, when you know how low you'll be going etc: https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E39/wheel-spacers-pg680-catn-ol

Hope this helps; drop me a line if you want any more info/help etc :) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Thanks for all the in depth advice. I must admit this whole wheel thing is a bit over my head - I'll do some further research based on what you've both said and decide which size spacers, stud conversion kit and tyres to go for.

This forum is great!

27 minutes ago, supertramp101 said:

dan

can you get locking nuts, with a stud conversion ?

You can; but they're generally capped, so this needs to be drilled out on a stack drill

Easy enough to source and do, just a bit of a faff :) 

For instance I bought these (but in black) and then drilled the locking key, so it allows the stud to pass through: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-Locking-Wheel-Nuts-M12x1-5mm-Open-End-For-Aftermarket-Wheels/300744183341?hash=item4605c00e2d:g:ucsAAOxyj4hTGaFd

There are probably other ways and means; but this, to me, was easier and right for the price :) 

All depends on the size of the hole on the alloy for the wheel nut as well; my LM reps are very tight and only just take a 19mm long reach straight sided socket! I did get a set that had an open ended locking key, but it was a 22mm socket and didn't fit!