Blackman

ULEZ Expansion Plans for 2021

On 6/11/2018 at 7:48 PM, Yokozuna said:

Cheers 

You “could” copy the reg of a Nissan Leaf and stick it on your proper powered car so the ANPR won’t get you! ;) you make get get found out by the boys in blue though....

Not exactly the smartest idea and when you get caught, it won't be funny...

I live in London and where I live will be impacted by the ULEZ. I'm in the process of buying a E39 530i and weirdly some early ones are subject to ULEZ, where most from 2001-2003 are Euro 4 complaint and will not be subject to ULEZ according to their website. (I did this by inputting different 530i reg plates into the site)

I took the plunge and am proceeding with the purchase and I should be okay for a good while, until the 'ultra ultra low emission zone' is created *rolls eyes*

This reminds me of what happened in Paris in 2016, with a list of proscribed cars banned from within the Périphérique inside office hours, so to speak.

The law changed within a year...

My E60 fails, by the way - but seeing where the ULEZ is, I'd never drive there anyway!

Edited by e60neindanke

Just checked and my 2005 550 V8 is fine but a 2008 535d isn't. Guess us V8 drivers aren't killing the planet after all.

I have a mate who is a one man recovery company based in Crawley. He has already spent a fortune so his two recovery vehicles can go into London and he is now looking at a massive outlay on new trucks to comply with the new rules as his current vehicles are too old to upgrade any further. Whilst I absolutely agree that new vehicles should be as green as possible forcing people out of perfectly servicable cars is not green. The carbon footprint of a new car is massive and it takes years for the increased efficiency of that vehicle to balance that out.

I am not against working towards a better planet and protecting the environment, far from it, but I'm getting tired of motorists being hammered at every opportunity with this being used as an excuse.

1 hour ago, e60neindanke said:

This reminds me of what happened in Paris in 2016, with a list of proscribed cars banned from within the Périphérique inside office hours, so to speak.

The law changed within a year...

My E60 fails, by the way - but seeing where the ULEZ is, I'd never drive there anyway!

I started hearing announcements on the radio about ULEZ starting in Central London from April 2019, but for some reason they are not mentioning the "expansion" from 2021.....It's either too early for that or they are being a bit cautious at the moment.

I cannot see this happening, especially with the London Mayor elections in 2020....With this policy, Khan will most likely go and whoever comes will probably scrap the expansion idea. It's just silly, simple as.

Unfortunately, silly has a habit of being the number 1 choice when it comes to stuff like this. 

This, unlike the congestion charge is going to be 24/7. £12.50 for rolling off your drive if your inside the zone. 

Currently live in Leyton, my 2014 N47 520d is exempt... says its euro 6. thought its only from the B47 engines.

Anyways if so then i can keep it for awhile. no real infrastructure here for PHEV / electric at the moment. Around these areas most houses dont have drive ways so the only way for people to charge at home would be to replace the trees with charging pods as you don't always get a spot outside your house :mellow:

Gonna be interesting

Edited by IINexusII

On 6/13/2018 at 8:51 PM, kobayashi said:

Unfortunately, silly has a habit of being the number 1 choice when it comes to stuff like this. 

This, unlike the congestion charge is going to be 24/7. £12.50 for rolling off your drive if your inside the zone. 

At least the French are pragmatic enough to restrict it to 08:00 to 20:00 - not that it seemed to bother many a Mk. 1 Twingo owner, one of the originally proscribed cars!

Paris now operates the Crit'air system.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Edited by e60neindanke

9 hours ago, IINexusII said:

Currently live in Leyton, my 2014 N47 520d is exempt... says its euro 6. thought its only from the B47 engines.

Anyways if so then i can keep it for awhile. no real infrastructure here for PHEV / electric at the moment. Around these areas most houses dont have drive ways so the only way for people to charge at home would be to replace the trees with charging pods as you don't always get a spot outside your house :mellow:

Gonna be interesting

Strange, I checked a E90 LCI 320d (2010 model, I believe) the other day and it said it was subject to ULEZ. I would assume it had the N47 engine as well?

1 hour ago, Blackman said:

Strange, I checked a E90 LCI 320d (2010 model, I believe) the other day and it said it was subject to ULEZ. I would assume it had the N47 engine as well?

Yeah but not all N47's are equal, the engine began its life from 2007 and its been updated over the years with more power and cleaner emissions

The loonies in charge of Glasgow city council want to do similar. So far they have said no to petrols older than 2005 and no to diesels older than 2014. No mention of Euro spec stuff, purely on age which is nonsense as BMW did not change anything on their 3.0d engine overnight on 31/12/13.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44481390

I'm ok with it on the provision there is an alternative. But this is Glasgow City Council where common sense does not prevail and sure enough no alternative is being proposed. It will kill off a number of black hacks. There are a good few still cutting around on pre current style of reg plates.

Although with me having a petrol powered BMW I'll be able to go in whatever clean air zone they are proposing.  :D

Edited by 535i Andrew

On 6/13/2018 at 5:09 PM, SuperDave said:

Checked the 530d using the online checker and it's euro 6 so not affected. Should help it retain a bit more value for a few years hopefully.

What year is yours dave? Assuming 2014> ?

So, where would an imported vehicle with no emissions data declared on the V5C stand in all this?

If my E39 was a UK model I think I'd be paying £315 for VED - as it turns out I pay two hundred and something in the "anything above 1600cc" bracket.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:07 AM, 535i Andrew said:

The loonies in charge of Glasgow city council want to do similar. So far they have said no to petrols older than 2005 and no to diesels older than 2014. No mention of Euro spec stuff, purely on age which is nonsense as BMW did not change anything on their 3.0d engine overnight on 31/12/13.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44481390

I'm ok with it on the provision there is an alternative. But this is Glasgow City Council where common sense does not prevail and sure enough no alternative is being proposed. It will kill off a number of black hacks. There are a good few still cutting around on pre current style of reg plates.

Although with me having a petrol powered BMW I'll be able to go in whatever clean air zone they are proposing.  :D

That's bonkers!? Its a pity you cant change councils in the way you can utility companies...