edd_jedi

Where to wire USB sockets in glove box?

I have just bought one of these so I can have 2 USB sockets in the glove box rather than wires everywhere using the cigarette lighter. Can anybody advise me the best place to wire it in behind the glovebox? I'm not sure if it's best to have it live permanently or with the ignition on.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.39663dd68b0e7ddb41b180acd974cde6.jpg

Use a piggyback fuse holder and insert it in a fuse position that behaves how you want (Live/ignition) in the fusebox

put that fuse in the piggyback holder and then say a 5 amp fuse where the red wire connects to the piggyback holder.

Black wire from your usb box goes to ground. 

tAW3MjH.jpg

Edited by Deviant

When wiring my dash cam it was not possible to source an ignition live in the fuse box

i tapped into the wires in the rear cig lighters and ran wiring along under the centre console then up behind the glove box. 

Doing it this way would future proof proof any other uses and avoid battery drain

JJ 

Edited by problemchild

Got all the bits now so looking to install this weekend, any advice on which ground wire to tap in to? Are all solid brown wires ground?

20 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

Got all the bits now so looking to install this weekend, any advice on which ground wire to tap in to? Are all solid brown wires ground?

They all go to a splitter bolted to the chassis, you will see a couple when you dig round the back of the dash. You can get the right connectors from the dealer if you want to do a proper job, see here. 

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/retrofit-installing-footwell-lights-uk-01-2006-car-37592/page2/#post674132

Edited by GoNz0

Well that's annoying, just spent two hours on what should be a simple job and had to admit defeat. I tried piggy backing on the CD changer fuse (#38) which I know was working as the CD changer stopped working when I unplugged it. I popped 2 5 amp fuses in, connected it to the USB sockets, but nothing. Tried it with the ignition on, various different fuse positions and earth locations, but no power from either USB socket.

Before I email the seller asking for a replacement USB socket and reporting the one they sent me is a dud, am I doing anything stupid here? As you can see the earth is connected to a screw (which seems to have something else earthed to it) but as said I tried a couple of different earth points to rule that out.

IMG_6172.thumb.JPG.d6fb278251120e1d3c8c0e6775100242.JPG

Also while fishing around above the glove box I found this thing which doesn't look factory fitted, and idea what it might be? Part of a tracker maybe?

IMG_6171.thumb.JPG.526289c0d724e8522d2ff37898665522.JPG

If you've tried other earth points and that dodgy looking connection is actually okay... A test light would be useful to confirm everything, you can get them for about three quid these days, very useful

especially for checking fuses. 

Is that other thing like a GPS antenna for sat nav?  Could well be a tracker, but you'd need a box with a sim card or something to track it. 

Edited by Deviant

Don't worry it may look messy but the red wires are soldered under the electrical tape so it's a decent connection.

Just confirmed with a multimeter that there's nothing wrong with the connection, I'm getting a steady ~12 volts from the both fuses on the pictured +/- points. So it must be an issue with the USB box thing. The only thought I've had is the USB box has "max 3 amps" written on the side, but I'm using a 5A fuse. That should be OK right and wouldn't stop it working?

Just out off curiosity have you tried starting the car as my dash cam doesn’t actually start charging until the cars started even though there’s power to it maybe that is the same 

1 hour ago, edd_jedi said:

Don't worry it may look messy but the red wires are soldered under the electrical tape so it's a decent connection.

Just confirmed with a multimeter that there's nothing wrong with the connection, I'm getting a steady ~12 volts from the both fuses on the pictured +/- points. So it must be an issue with the USB box thing. The only thought I've had is the USB box has "max 3 amps" written on the side, but I'm using a 5A fuse. That should be OK right and wouldn't stop it working?

No, the box could fry if you put a heavier load than three amp on it. You can always get a two or three amp fuse for peace of mind. Most usb car chargers now are 5 amp to allow quick charging etc. 

If you didn't let the smoke out I'd wager it didn't work in the first place. 

Edited by Deviant

Well that's annoying, just tried it again on the above advice with the ignition on and it didn't work with my iPhone, but does work with a USB torch as you can see below. The box apparently outputs up to 3 amps and a minimum of 1.5, so not sure why it's not charging my phone. Tried a couple of different USB cables including a genuine Apple one but that didn't make any difference. Any suggestions?

IMG_6175.thumb.JPG.c649bfffaa7f3be415267e813ff01777.JPG

It isn't completing the handshake with the apple device so it won't start charging, must be cheap tat inside. It should have a certain resistance so the Iphone can start charging.

Why not fit a 12v socket and plug in a car USB charger like an Anker one.

Edited by GoNz0

Thanks for the reply. I remember having similar problems trying to find a cigarette lighter USB car charger that would charge my iPhone too, I guess they are fussy. However it wouldn't charge my Nintendo Switch controller either so I can't just blame Apple. Any idea if there is an inline "USB converter" that is Apple friendly?

I don't hence suggesting you fit a 12v accessory socket so you can plug in one that works.

Found one that works, it only has 1 USB socket which is a shame but this one charges my iPhone just fine.

geree.thumb.jpg.3b1e3e19644265f755a9d375b1d041f6.jpg

I have paired it with one of these cables (both from Amazon) and I now have a single cable running from the glove box that provides both power and AUX music from my iPhone. Cost about £30 all in, much neater in the cabin now and less hassle to plug in when I get in the car.

61lPPcbbqzL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b475b1f26b09f59c28d81282a28ffa9b.jpg

An observation that might interest people, the new combined USB/AUX cable I bought is considerably louder than the old AUX cable. Now it’s about the same volume as the CD changer and only one or two ‘notches’ quieter than the radio. With the old cable it was 10+ notches quieter. Perhaps because it’s now a digital audio signal?