Hi guys im still new here and finding my way around the site....I've been looking for the "ultimate for me" m5 for a few months, I don't like paying over the odds for anything so paying £18-£20k for a 90,000+ miler is not where I want to be. The Aegean blue mentioned on here at renaissance looks stunning but overpriced in my book....that's why it's still there.

I have found a car to view, 2002 90k miler it needs small bit of paint (a scratch and rust near the petrol filler cap) and alloys refurbed and two new alloys as they are buckled (worrying how they got bent! but I will ask)  The car has been stood for two years in a garage and run around on the odd occasion to get the air con working and warmed up etc.

I haven't owned an m5 since I had to sell mine in 2011. apparently there is no vanos noise on start up,  a new clutch has been fitted. im told all four jacking points are sound. 

would you guys give me advice on what to look for especially as its been sat for almost two years...… the trouble is I miss my old m5 and I know ill be like a fat kid in a cake shop and overlook stuff through excitement.....so I need a clear head and a rough idea of what to look for. I just read r44m bm's grief after buying his gorgeous black m5 after that had been stood....although he seemed to take it in his stride its a scary potenetial….

Any advice gratefully received 

Cheers

Rob

Edited by Essex boy

Probably best putting this into the M section @Essex boy - it'll get more relevant coverage there

However; for any E39; the bodywork and rust/tin worm needs to be checked for, so a good root around underneath the sills, arches etc needs to be done as well as checking the rear valance above the bumper and front wings/bonnet front etc

Cooling system may need some maintenance after it's been stood for that long, as could some of the suspension components

So a run, up to speed and engine up to temp is needed and brakes need to be tested also. The dash needs to be checked for missing pixels, interior needs to be checked for fully worknig switches/windows/mirrors/locking/do all the buttons work for the climate control and head unit etc

Engine wise; any obvious leaks, any perished parts, any leaks from the box or oil sump and any leaks from the diff etc

Thanks dan.

you see I’m still finding my way around, will bear in mind for future 

i know some of them have rusted quite bad which I’m surprised at. After reading r44bm post of big end bearings going it makes it a bit scary but this one is a bit special being an individual uk car. Luckily I have a friend who is a great mechanic who solved a problem on an Aston Martin that Aston themselves couldn’t figure out....a dropped nut in the sump and fully rebuilt a written of m3! 

Thanks for the tips, it’s not in this country at present so we’ll be having a phone commentary later today and hopefully a video. He has told me some bad bits already which doesn’t put me off. 

3 minutes ago, Essex boy said:

Thanks dan.

you see I’m still finding my way around, will bear in mind for future 

i know some of them have rusted quite bad which I’m surprised at. After reading r44bm post of big end bearings going it makes it a bit scary but this one is a bit special being an individual uk car. Luckily I have a friend who is a great mechanic who solved a problem on an Aston Martin that Aston themselves couldn’t figure out....a dropped nut in the sump and fully rebuilt a written of m3! 

Thanks for the tips, it’s not in this country at present so we’ll be having a phone commentary later today and hopefully a video. He has told me some bad bits already which doesn’t put me off. 

No worries; just do not agree to buy any car until you've actually seen it in the flesh! Sometimes passion takes over and we agree to things we later regret! ;) 

Ha your right but no way will be handing over that kind of cash without being there in person, and that would be after a test drive and I might take my mate with me....it’s only Sweden lol

3 hours ago, Essex boy said:

Ha your right but no way will be handing over that kind of cash without being there in person, and that would be after a test drive and I might take my mate with me....it’s only Sweden lol

LHD?

They'll all have some rust somewhere on them as 15-20 year old now. Unless meticulously garaged, never driven in the winter, etcs - which will be the cars commanding the highest prices that doesn't sound like your budget.

Rust - Wheel arches, sills under plastics, bootlid above number plate, valance below bootlid, fuel filler recess.

Don't be afraid of miles, at all. My current ones on 170k, my first was retired at 215k miles with nothing mechanically wrong.  Neither have needed VANOS, timing chains or big end bearings interfering with. It can be argued that 150k+ miles is a sweet spot for a well-serviced car as it'll be on a fresh set of new suspension, bushes, etc. Below this probably on it's original which will all need replacing.

So buy on condition - bodywork (rust, paint), mechanicals (regular oil changes through it's life, big pile of invoices, receipts, bills as evidence for bits changed) and how it drives. If you can't drive it don't touch it with a bargepole unless so cheap it's worth the risk!

Thanks ttrw2, I didn't buy the first one I looked at as he wouldn't let me drive it, also it was lowered which really put me off and then the towbar….

I think these are better run often than sitting in a garage where all the rubbers perish. So mileage is only off putting for resale point of view, you will always get more for a low miler but its far better to run them regularly.

Yes id like to see a big pile of invoices and look at each one, I usually do an mot check beforehand to see what advisories there are and how long they have been relisted for it gives an indication on how its been looked after, im not sure if they do mots in Sweden, I might google the criteria....

Your right about the suspension, it will need a refresh at some point. I'm still waiting to hear from the owner its very slow going!! You never know what might come up in the meantime!!

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, ttrw2 said:

They'll all have some rust somewhere on them as 15-20 year old now. Unless meticulously garaged, never driven in the winter, etcs - which will be the cars commanding the highest prices that doesn't sound like your budget.

Rust - Wheel arches, sills under plastics, bootlid above number plate, valance below bootlid, fuel filler recess.

Don't be afraid of miles, at all. My current ones on 170k, my first was retired at 215k miles with nothing mechanically wrong.  Neither have needed VANOS, timing chains or big end bearings interfering with. It can be argued that 150k+ miles is a sweet spot for a well-serviced car as it'll be on a fresh set of new suspension, bushes, etc. Below this probably on it's original which will all need replacing.

So buy on condition - bodywork (rust, paint), mechanicals (regular oil changes through it's life, big pile of invoices, receipts, bills as evidence for bits changed) and how it drives. If you can't drive it don't touch it with a bargepole unless so cheap it's worth the risk!

I don't really have a budget, its just some are overpriced....£21k for a 94,000 miler seems over the top to me. As most people I don't like to anymore than I have to....for example there is a 2001 recently gone on pistonheads a 2001 with similar mileage etc for £13,000 the only reason im not buying it is im fussy about the colour combo and spec.....I know this means I have to wait but id rather wait and get what I want.

We all have our own opinions on prices etc, saying that there is 2001 lovely spec and colour combo gone on autotrader for under £10k its done 145k miles (I think) and looks the part, has a good history so its worth considering.

I haven't got it yet, i'm superstitious...nothing is a given until it's in your possession but I'm a tad excited!!

The steering wheel is on the correct side ;-)

Whatever needs doing will be done, my lifelong friend and my brother both have garages of their own.....so eventually it will be mint!!

The new alloys will be hardest to find....when I had my lemans blue I used to buy all the odd ones off ebay, get them refurbed and sell them as sets!

estoril m5.jpg

m5 estoril.jpg

m5 estoril2.jpg

17 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

It does look very clean!

Fingers crossed all is as stated ;)

So far he has been very upfront and told me things that I hadn't asked about. He said he'd rather rather tell me of any faults especially as its a bit of a trek...

Hopefully she is as good ad she looks, I have a file of pictures from underneath the inside of the doors to a photoshoot of the engine bay. I am hoping all is well. As soon as my passport arrives ill be off, we have provisionally arranged for the 25th june since I cant do weekends.

Hi EB,

That looks like a very nice example for sure! You'll need to buy the guy who showed you where it was a few bottles of whisky with all those savings ;)

Sounds like that with some time and a steady pace for doing some work in those garages you'll have access to, the car will get whatever it needs to make it pristine. There's a thread over on M5board with a BMW dealer in the US doing discounts on OEM new Style 65's so might be worthwhile getting a set of those. Current asking prices for used / 15-19 year old Style 65's is ridiculous ! 

Hopefully soon will catch you up at some events and meets :)

Cheers, Dennis!

52 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi EB,

That looks like a very nice example for sure! You'll need to buy the guy who showed you where it was a few bottles of whisky with all those savings ;)

Sounds like that with some time and a steady pace for doing some work in those garages you'll have access to, the car will get whatever it needs to make it pristine. There's a thread over on M5board with a BMW dealer in the US doing discounts on OEM new Style 65's so might be worthwhile getting a set of those. Current asking prices for used / 15-19 year old Style 65's is ridiculous ! 

Hopefully soon will catch you up at some events and meets :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis, that could be possible since we own a pub.....pop down and have a steak, we've just won a certificate of excellence so i'm sure we can sort you out. That's a real offer if you come to Harwich, I know you were joking (or were you?) but i'm not...:-)

Ill take a look at that thread, new alloys is quite something!!

Yes i'd love to get to some meets, they probably happen at weekends which is my busiest times but as we're building our business we are getting more and more staff

Cheers Dennis

Rob