I've recently bought a 2104 520D with low mileage, and I'm still getting to know the car. To my surprise, the car doesn't seem to be fitted with an alarm system, although it has an immobiliser. Is it possible or financially viable to retro-fit a BMW alarm, or should I go for aftermarket, and if so, can anyone give a recommendation for a good unit and supplier in Hampshire?

Cheers

Dave

14 minutes ago, Atlastabeema said:

I've recently bought a 2104 520D with low mileage, and I'm still getting to know the car. To my surprise, the car doesn't seem to be fitted with an alarm system, although it has an immobiliser. Is it possible or financially viable to retro-fit a BMW alarm, or should I go for aftermarket, and if so, can anyone give a recommendation for a good unit and supplier in Hampshire?

Cheers

Dave

All crime had been banned through mandatory lobotomies by AD 2080 but for some reason derv were still on sale. Probably explained by the lobotomies. Wonder what the chassis number will be by 2104? 

Back in 2018 all f10 should have an alarm.. certainly for the UK market.. what makes you think it doesn't?

Edited by bmwmike

BMWMike

Firstly, gthere's no audible confirmation when locking or unlocking. I've tried to code that option (Carly and Bimmercode) but although the system accepts it, it makes no difference. Secondly, I locked the car with the windows open, and then reached in the open window and pressed buttons and opened lockers but no alarm sounded!

I should have said that it's an SE model without the wide screen nav.

Sorry about my comment btw forgot the smiley icon thing so hope no offense caused etc

Do you have the flashing light on the clown nose under the mirror when it's locked?

Can you lock it with single button press when you're sat in it. Leave 30 seconds then move about and see if the alarm goes off?

Or lock it, leave it 10 minutes or so and then jack up a corner or the rear (mine went off that way).

Do you have the ultrasonic sensors in the cabin? Little grill like openings.. they are in the roof lining and mirror and light housings IIRC

1 hour ago, Atlastabeema said:

BMWMike

Firstly, gthere's no audible confirmation when locking or unlocking. I've tried to code that option (Carly and Bimmercode) but although the system accepts it, it makes no difference. Secondly, I locked the car with the windows open, and then reached in the open window and pressed buttons and opened lockers but no alarm sounded!

You might have a duff door/bonnet sensor whcih is preventing the alarm from being set. Do your indicators flash when you lock and unlock with the fob? Should be one flash for lock, two for unlock. If a door, bonnet or boot is slightly open (or the car thinks one is) then the alarm won't be set. Try opening the bonnet and giving it a good slam to close.

Jack up a corner of it with it locked and the alarm will sound!

It has an alarm but no body advertise alarms anymore as no one pays a blind bit of attention when they hear one, other than curse under their breath as the peace and quiet is shattered.

Right then..... I sat in the car and tried to lock the car, but it wouldn't lock. Presumably the ultrasonic sensors are working. I then opened and firmly shut the bonnet, then locked the car from outside. There was no audible confirmation but the usual flashing indicator lights and red light on the mirror confirmed the car was locked.

Then I took the key out of the remote and unlocked the car with the key and opened the door, and Hey Presto! the alarm sounded.

So it does have an alarm, but refuses to be programmed for an audible confirmation.

Thanks for the replies.

4 minutes ago, Atlastabeema said:

Right then..... I sat in the car and tried to lock the car, but it wouldn't lock. Presumably the ultrasonic sensors are working. I then opened and firmly shut the bonnet, then locked the car from outside. There was no audible confirmation but the usual flashing indicator lights and red light on the mirror confirmed the car was locked.

Then I took the key out of the remote and unlocked the car with the key and opened the door, and Hey Presto! the alarm sounded.

So it does have an alarm, but refuses to be programmed for an audible confirmation.

Thanks for the replies.

Bold bit - not sure of the witchcraft that makes it happen but I think the failure to lock was because the key fob was in the car, rather than you. Or maybe it was you and it uses the seat occupancy sensor... hmm

Either way, now that I,ve confirmed it's got an alarm-however temperamental or inconfigurable- I can forget about that and start thinking about increasing the power a bit more. It's a nice motorway cruiser, and handles the twisty stuff just fine. All it needs is a bit more grunt when it's really needed.

B.T.W. does anyone use anything other than sport mode on these motors, as the ECO modes just seem to dull throttle response too much?

Tended to use sport on my old 520d mostly as well, never eco because it just seemed to labour the engine and felt totally unresponsive as you've found. 

Mashed Potatoes is your man for a remap discussion. 

2 hours ago, Atlastabeema said:

Why would you want the audible confirmation when locking the doors? I coded my 2010 F11 to activate this feature, used it once, and unchecked the option in the iDrive as it was just annoying.

Talking of alarms and sorry to hi jack the thread. I've found some old posts online about E90's being fitted with a shock sensor to the original ultrasonic wiring. Anyone tried this on an Fxx model? Seem's a good idea to enhance the functionality of the alarm and it would make it easier to test the alarm (tedious way of linking my post to this thread). 

Link to thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45815

I only wanted the audible confirmation so that I knew I actually had a working alarm, as I had been unable to set it off. 530D or 535D would have been nice, but I have to do as I'm told!!

Anyway, I used to have a quick Porsche, but soon realised that there are only so many times you can "give it the beans" without geting caught, and the %20D is very comfy, and still gets down the road better then the insignia it replaced, and it's more economical-at the mo!

Re-mapping on the South Coast. Anyone got any recommendations!!