edd_jedi

Best way to get old wheel weight stickers off wheels?

I have one of my wheels off and before putting it back on I want to tidy up the inside, which has half a dozen old wheel weight stickers dotted around it. So far I have tried Wonder Wheels cleaner and Goo Gone, but neither are making much of a dent. I've spent a good hour on it so far and barely got anything off. I've had a quick Google and seen the following recommended:

• AM Tar Remover
  • Jelsol (graffiti remover!?)
  • WD-40

Any other ideas? Preferably after something quick with little elbow grease required!

Pledge polish works wonders on removing the remains of old stickers and wheel weighs ... Just give a good spray and leave for 20 minutes ...

Then work in with your thumb .. Just repeat until the dunk is gone.

I find cellulose thinners works well on most adhesives, give it a bit of a soak then rub with a scouring pad (nylon, not metal) soaked in thinners.

Another vote for tar remover. I used tardis soaked make up removal pads. Leave them on the weight/sticky for about 15mins before scraping off lightly. 

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Tar remover and elbow grease.

Heating to soften the sticky pad can also help. I use an old hair dryer which I've kept to thaw out door seals.

This!

Autoglym Tar Remover; let it soak in, start to rub the sticky residue away and keep using the fluid until it all goes! Don't forget, it's been baked on with the heat of the wheels during braking etc; so it'll be well stuck on!

I find the best way is to get F1 auto centers to fit them, you can bet they will come flying off once you do a few motorway miles as the lazy twats never prep the wheel by removing the dirt 1st.

Well the tar remover did a great job of removing some tar, but made pretty much no difference to these stickers. In the end I used washing up liquid and a couple of hours of scraping with an old credit card. Sometimes there's no shortcut, but it does amaze me there seems to be nothing that can just dissolve these stickers. Here's the finished result, not bad for a 13 year old wheel :)

wheel.thumb.jpg.79f765807522b19ae9d0b5a51dfed2b8.jpg

Too late now but to remove the sort of adhesive that is on wheel weights I use wd40 to dissolve the glue, then soften everthing with a bit of heat from a hairdryer and then use a nylon scraper to persuade off what's left.