alison_morris

Old bird looking for help to trace a part

Hiya, old and clueless, someone broke my lights at the back of my car and drove off, so I need to replace the light thingy that is on the back on the side the passenger sits. I am having a terrible job to find one the same as mine. It indicates and brakes and I think the reverse

My car is a 5 series 20i SE automatic saloon first registered in 1996 I have searched all sorts of sites but none of the photo's look anything like mine, can anyone tell me what I have to ask for,

please?

Edited by alison_morris
left something out

16 hours ago, alison_morris said:

I would if it wasn't such a skip Sandip, it's just my car, it was badly keyed when I bought it, so the bodywork has never been great, but the engine is fantastic....

We don't care, let's see some pictures of your car.

You have a smooth six cylinder petrol engine, which is exact what BMWs should be. 

Sadly six cylinder petrol engines are rare on the roads these days. 

You have way us BMW geeks call an "E39" 5 Series. They are a great looking car. Please keep it going. Hang around on here, it's good fun.

Just to say, I received my lights today, all in perfect nick the day after I bought them, I am having them fitted tomorrow, so thanks for the tip Dan, Tim is as good as gold, I have a few other bits needed as cash permits and I will be on the phone to him no problem....

Lights all fixed. Thanks to all who helped, next project is to find out why my heater takes a year and a half to get hot? My daughter says BMW's have slow heaters in general but my husband had a Z3 and the heater in that was good and fast.....

On 6/8/2018 at 5:58 PM, alison_morris said:

Actually, Tim told me it is an E34 520, I had a google up and he is right, mine does not look as flashy as the E39 it has different headlights, mine are separate not in a unit thingy X

Sorry, I read your post as registered in 1998! Not 1996....should have gone to spec savers!

Makes it even rarer if it's an E34. Look after it.

Oh really! It's a very basic one, cloth not leather, no air con (which I did have in one of my many 190e's and that was an A reg!)

Someone had put a round, blue thingy on the engine, all the blokes who see it are impressed by this thing but I don't know what it is.

I must say joining here has made me want to sort my car out, I had really lost interest but finding Tim and knowing things can now be fixed has given me a boost.

Also hearing that it's not just an old heap which is what all my workmates call it, has got me at it again.

There's a few of us about in Herts. 

There's a guy call Barry jones  (Barry jones autocentre) in wedgewood way, Stevenage who I've used in the past who is very good. 

That name rings bells, did he used to be mobile? If so I think he used to take care of my Triumph 2000, now that was a car!!

He taught me how to balance the carbs on it and how to change the diaphragms as I got ripped off by another guy.

I will have to ask my daughter, she will remember

I have never had a new car, I only feel safe in old solid lumps!

Plus I think they are far more stylish, I really am not fond of the look of most modern cars.

I had eight 190E's as I am short and can't see over the bonnet of most cars (including my BMW) and the shape and Merc badge made it so easy to park, I used the badge like the sight on a rifle to judge things. Batty old bird!

Welcome to the forum Alison. Per the messages above, the E34 is a relatively rare thing these days but there's a lot of expertise here to help you keep it going.

Best to post any further queries in the technical section for the E34 which you'll find elsewhere in the forum.