zion

E39 M5 Prices

Hi,

Having been keeping an eye on the prices for E39 M5s for a few years it does now seem that prices are regularly pushing 15k- low 20ks for lower mileage examples. Clearly there are much fewer examples around in good condition and with good history. However there is always a difference between advertised price and actual closing prices of course.

Does anyone have any direct experience or intel on sale prices of late for the higher end cars? Has anyone sold one recently for more than 15k? 20k?

Thanks in advance,

Hi I’m new here and currently searching for a nice m5. Ive been watching them for months, I’ve seen a couple go for £17-£18k from dealers. It does seem that 100k milers or lower fetch £15k. 

I am fussy on spec personally along with condition and being stock. There’s a nice Aegean blue for £20k which I was considering but it just seems £4K overpriced 

On 6/4/2018 at 9:10 PM, Essex boy said:

Hi I’m new here and currently searching for a nice m5. Ive been watching them for months, I’ve seen a couple go for £17-£18k from dealers. It does seem that 100k milers or lower fetch £15k. 

I am fussy on spec personally along with condition and being stock. There’s a nice Aegean blue for £20k which I was considering but it just seems £4K overpriced 

Good luck in your search mate 

. I'm local (depending where in Essex you are!) Feel free to PM me , had my M5 for 6 months and it seems they are harder to find by the day!!

24 minutes ago, R44M BM said:

Good luck in your search mate 

. I'm local (depending where in Essex you are!) Feel free to PM me , had my M5 for 6 months and it seems they are harder to find by the day!!

Hi I'm as far as you can get in Essex.....I can see the port from my window, I'm in Harwich. ive found one now thanks to DennisCooper, its my dream colour Estoril blue with Estoril blue and black leather, has done 94k but ive got to go to Sweden to get it. Its an ex UK car imported to Sweden 7 years ago....

The only rust it has very slight in the filler cap, it needs two new alloys but apart from that she is good shape...may have to do a headlight change aswell...

11 minutes ago, Essex boy said:

Hi I'm as far as you can get in Essex.....I can see the port from my window, I'm in Harwich. ive found one now thanks to DennisCooper, its my dream colour Estoril blue with Estoril blue and black leather, has done 94k but ive got to go to Sweden to get it. Its an ex UK car imported to Sweden 7 years ago....

The only rust it has very slight in the filler cap, it needs two new alloys but apart from that she is good shape...may have to do a headlight change aswell...

Is the car enthusiast owned? Amazing colour !! Big ends / vanos been done? Long way to go for a car but as long as it's been cherished I'm sure it will be well worth it !

1 hour ago, R44M BM said:

Is the car enthusiast owned? Amazing colour !! Big ends / vanos been done? Long way to go for a car but as long as it's been cherished I'm sure it will be well worth it !

Very much enthusiast owned, the guy im buying it from is on m5board.com. it's had no big mechanical work apart from a new clutch with invoices. It's had new mafs and fuel pump. I was talking with the owner for over an hour, he is a total 'M' guy. It has full bmw history up to 88k miles its done 6k miles in his ownership. The thing with vanos is some don't need to be touched, the Aegean blue one I talked about had a 3 second vanos slight rattle on start up.....i'm buying it for les than £14k, with a fresh mot albeit a Swedish mot....

I'm hoping to a road trip shoot, then the Essex shoot at our field, she is stunning and completely standard....with the individual hifi upgrade, to me it still sounds fantastic....I would love to put a h&s exhaust on it to make it sound like a v8 should but will probably leave it standard.

Edited by Essex boy
typo...as ever

How did you find it? I would never have found it If Dennis hadn’t of pointed it out to me. The owner is a diamond, he’s told me the cheapest route and will pick us up even offered to put us at his parents!

The Mrs comment is what got me “so my first trip abroad is to buy a car, great” 

she is cool though and Looking forward to it....I think :-)

I googled "Sweden M5board E39 M5" and changed the search date for 1 month... lol

it will be a worthwhile trip I am sure, he has priced that up very fair!! When is the big day?

That’s pretty cool, google can find anything, clearly:-)

hopefully on the 25th June all being well. 

He must be fairly confident as he will mot it in the morning!!

Ive had mine up for sale for 4 weeks now - autotrader, pistonheads, eBay, here, Facebook groups, and not even had one person to look, just the obligatory timewasters offering 40% under advertisied price. 2001 facelift,120k full history, etc etc in lmb. 

16 minutes ago, skeggy said:

Ive had mine up for sale for 4 weeks now - autotrader, pistonheads, eBay, here, Facebook groups, and not even had one person to look, just the obligatory timewasters offering 40% under advertisied price. 2001 facelift,120k full history, etc etc in lmb. 

Yours is really nice and more than fair priced, I can’t understand why it hasn’t sold

Hi,

Zion - It's one of those, many many enthusiasts and owners are saying these cars will 'only rise in value' and 'future classic' for when it comes to adverts for those up for sale currently, but having been watching E39 M5 adverts, asking prices and time taken to sell or the number of times cars being relisted, then being relisted with asking price drops, it seems fairly clear that very few are actually selling at the top end of asking prices. Sure, a 'few' at the top end have eventually sold, but only after modest £1-3K asking price drops, these have been at the £18-22K initial asking price ranges. I'd hazard a guess the selling price has actually been after bigger price cuts..

A lovely looking CB one came up some months ago on AT, 89K I think it was, all original, all the usual spec everyone wants, facelift and great pictures, good description at...  £18,995. Over perhaps 2/3 months it was reposted on AT initially with no price drop and then with £1K cuts till it went to £14,995. It then wasn't listed for perhaps a month or so, then re-appeared at £15K. It didn't sell and the same cycle happened again, multiple relists at £15K and then only once it dropped to £13.5K was it not seen anymore. A number of similar examples have been similar. There's also a few up now that have been up for 6+ months with no price drops at all, the one that is up at £30K doesn't even have the correct colour wheels and it's 87K miles, it needs to be sub 30K miles for that price !

So I'd say the higher end cars are overpriced by quite some margin and hang around quite a long time unsold before eventually disappearing from the various sites. This is either due to the owner deciding to hang on to the car or, has sold at significant or possibly a bit less than asking price. 

I think some of the very high end examples have changed hands at 'big' money via direct sales and/or sale or return type places, so 'visibility' and pricing on those remains elusive. Current cars that are well priced seem to sell relatively quickly - Essex Boy's example a case in point! ;)

Skeggy - Your's has a great advert and well described etc and the car for me looks like it should be on all those ' I want an M5' people's shortlists to view. I think there's multiple factors currently that are hindering sales of cars like yours and similar ones from other marques. The rising cost of fuel, insurance and VED along with parts prices for running an M car, the fact that E39's in the UK are at the stage where rust and corrosion can be and are big concerns, people's jobs and businesses facing more uncertainty ...  makes for less potential buyers out there. Now that Diesel has been outcast and demonized and even more so perhaps over the next few years, it'll be Petrol cars turn next and although there's perhaps not going to be a 'sharp' changeover from Petrol, I think the demonization will take a few/ 2 or 3  years to be implemented by the government. Of course, if after Brexit the UK flourishes and regains 5th place in the worlds biggest economies - ie where we were previously, perhaps more people will have more disposable income to splash out on big engined cars again !

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis 

i know the one you mean at £30k, I saw this up for sale over a year ago for £15k, just before I could afford it then it disappeared and reappeared up for £30k the photo is proof, I did email him asking if he put at that price just to see if he got interest ... he assured me it was worth this amount .....even with the incorrect colour wheels.....it’s still for sale 

0B87F4E4-DA1D-4DB9-BA98-B6364C27C1CD.png

Edited by Essex boy
Typo....as ever